Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving to Bathurst

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all

Am going to be driving to Bathurst this weekend. Used ABRP and was a little bit concerned that the I use up nearly the whole battery for a 200km journey. The plan spat out avg consumption of 408Wh/km over the 200km drive distance) with a SOC of 12% upon arrival at the Bathurst SC.

I used the below settings, could this be sanity-checked?

Model: P100D, 21" wheels
Ref speed: 100% (is this the right setting? I presume this means I'll always drive at the given speed limit)
Max speed: 110kph
Depart charge: 99%
Goal arrival charge: 10%
Outside temp: 20C
Headwind: 15m/s (this is the figure that most-drastically alters the results - is 15m/s unreasonably high?)
Road conditions: dry
Extra weight: 400kg (5pax + their luggage)
Batt deg: 5% (conservative - car's less than 9 months old and hasn't even done 10k yet)
Time to open port: 5min (lol)

I know there's a 500m+ elevation difference between Syd and Bathurst, but for the P100D's purported 480km rated range (typical, not rated) ---> 200km actual for a Syd to Bathurst trip with the above specs seems incredible!

Anyone else's experiences?

Those numbers seem a incredible. What happens if you set the reference consumption to your typical highway use?

I did a day drive from near Olympic Park in Sydney to Bathurst about a month ago in my Model X 100D. IIRC I left with 95% charge, arrived with ~46%, supercharged to 95% again and then drove around seeing the sights. I left Bathurst with ~80% charge and got home with ~35%. I was delighted to see that from Mount Victoria to the bottom of the hill at Emu Plains I averaged 27Wh/km!

If I use a reference consumption of 250Wh/km for the Model X ABRP gives similar numbers to what I saw.

Thanks for your insights. So yes I actually accidentally left that out - my ref consumption was conservatively set at 260Wh/km @ 110kph. So far my lifetime efficiency is 232kph which rarely involves the elevation changes one would encounter leaving Sydney. However, as this trip precisely does involve such elevation change, high speed and likely headwind, I thought 260Wh/km wouldn't be unreasonable (whereas 232Wh/km would be).

FWIW, I will report back how the trip actually went once I take it. I suspect that ABRP's figures are a worst-case scenario given my conservative parameters.

I was delighted to see that from Mount Victoria to the bottom of the hill at Emu Plains I averaged 27Wh/km!
If I use a reference consumption of 250Wh/km for the Model X ABRP gives similar numbers to what I saw.

I do recall one trip back from the blue mountains and I actually ended up with -25Wh/km!!!!!!

71097D9B-42EE-4692-9047-C55BAB4E9DC5.jpeg
Hey all

Am going to be driving to Bathurst this weekend. Used ABRP and was a little bit concerned that the I use up nearly the whole battery for a 200km journey. The plan spat out avg consumption of 408Wh/km over the 200km drive distance) with a SOC of 12% upon arrival at the Bathurst SC.

I used the below settings, could this be sanity-checked?

Model: P100D, 21" wheels
Ref speed: 100% (is this the right setting? I presume this means I'll always drive at the given speed limit)
Max speed: 110kph
Depart charge: 99%
Goal arrival charge: 10%
Outside temp: 20C
Headwind: 15m/s (this is the figure that most-drastically alters the results - is 15m/s unreasonably high?)
Road conditions: dry
Extra weight: 400kg (5pax + their luggage)
Batt deg: 5% (conservative - car's less than 9 months old and hasn't even done 10k yet)
Time to open port: 5min (lol)

I know there's a 500m+ elevation difference between Syd and Bathurst, but for the P100D's purported 480km rated range (typical, not rated) ---> 200km actual for a Syd to Bathurst trip with the above specs seems incredible!

Anyone else's experiences?

Yes 15 m/s headwind is ~55 km/h possible in storms but highly unlikely all the way to Bathurst & if calculated as all headwind component then that will skew the calculation unrealistically. A 15 km/h headwind is more realistic I think. Heavy weight will contribute. I think this graph is realistic based on a P90D although I didn’t adjust for full weight.

I've done the trip many times in my S75D.
Piece of cake. Usually get there with just under 50% remaining (eg. 46%), departing with 100% from postcode 2074.
With your 100D you'll probably have over 50% when arriving, you could potentially do the return trip without even supercharging.

Enjoy your trip!

• Informative
Reactions: 100KWH and Mark E
I have done the Bathurst trip from Melbourne in my P85D 3 times. The last leg from Gundagai to Bathurst is mostly up hill and the first 2 times I arrived at Mt Panorama with around 5-8% remaining.

Unfortunately this left me feeling a little over-confident and this time I drove a little too quickly from Gundagai to the turnoff (approx 115kph). I ended up running completely flat about 2km from the Supercharger in Bathurst centre.

VERY embarrassing !

I stopped just before the roundabout at Brilliant street, after rolling downhill for the last kilometer or so, when a truck stopped to give way. I was very lucky that it was two lanes as when the car stopped it automatically applied the park brake and that was the end of any response from the car in terms of starting. I still had the 12v battery to operate the hazard lights and the main screens but absolutely no response from the brake pedal.

Fortunately we managed to get the resident of a house beside where we stopped to allow us to use his 10amp power outlet and an extension lead which, when connected to my 50m lead, was long enough to reach the car. I took almost an hour to register 1km of range!!!. At about 45 minutes I got into the car and pressed the brake pedal and the car responded so I moved it to the parking lane.

After a total of 80 minutes it reached 2km range so we headed off to the supercharger.

So now I know, after owning the car for 20 months without an issue, what happens when you push it to zero.

I have done the Bathurst trip from Melbourne in my P85D 3 times. The last leg from Gundagai to Bathurst is mostly up hill and the first 2 times I arrived at Mt Panorama with around 5-8% remaining.

Unfortunately this left me feeling a little over-confident and this time I drove a little too quickly from Gundagai to the turnoff (approx 115kph). I ended up running completely flat about 2km from the Supercharger in Bathurst centre.

VERY embarrassing !

I stopped just before the roundabout at Brilliant street, after rolling downhill for the last kilometer or so, when a truck stopped to give way. I was very lucky that it was two lanes as when the car stopped it automatically applied the park brake and that was the end of any response from the car in terms of starting. I still had the 12v battery to operate the hazard lights and the main screens but absolutely no response from the brake pedal.

Fortunately we managed to get the resident of a house beside where we stopped to allow us to use his 10amp power outlet and an extension lead which, when connected to my 50m lead, was long enough to reach the car. I took almost an hour to register 1km of range!!!. At about 45 minutes I got into the car and pressed the brake pedal and the car responded so I moved it to the parking lane.

After a total of 80 minutes it reached 2km range so we headed off to the supercharger.

So now I know, after owning the car for 20 months without an issue, what happens when you push it to zero.
That’s very useful information! Sorry you had to be the guinea pig though...
I always keep 2 20m extension cords in the car for just this sort of contingency.
I rolled into Armidale on Friday night with 11km range, after leaving Port Mc on 90%.
Winding Oxley highway in torrential rain threw my calculations out a bit :)