Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving to Greece - Advice please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My family (2 adults and a 13 and 15yrs) is planning to take the whole school summer holiday off and drive to Greece. COVID allowing! Hopefully my MY will have arrived by then (otherwise in M3sr+)so we will be travelling electric. Planning to head through the following route, but could all change based on advice (Dijon, Gorges du Verdan, Pisa, Rome, Naples, Bari, Igoumenitsa( by ferry), Lefkada (sailing for a week), Athens......

Any general advice would be great, but things I can immediately think of where I could use some advice;

Do I need any other charging cables/adapters?
What is a good map/app for charger locations in europe?
Do I need a million rfid cards and apps to use the chargers or is there a simpler way (will use super chargers where I can)?
Can you charge your Tesla at a camp site electric hook up? I think they are often only 10amp?
Roadside assistance cover for evs in Europe or can I just call Tesla?
Best place to leave the car when in Rome? I am thinking of parking somewhere outside Rome for 3 days and getting the train in to stay in the centre

Thanks!

There is no charging in the Verdon Gorge itself and a trip through there in SR+ would be a little tight if starting from the closest supercharger in Sisteron. I went that way last year but in a LR.

Get Plugsurfing and Chargemap cards but only use them if desperate as they charge an admin fee which can make the cost really high. Get separate roadside assistance as the Tesla one is not the best, especially if you get a puncture in the middle of nowhere.

I made a schuko to 3 pin socket adapter but have yet to use it and yes you can charge at camp sites, just dial down the amps in the car.

Reactions: InventEd
A Schuko adapter for the UMC would be worth getting, in case you need to charge from a domestic EU socket. Also, if considering camp sites, then a 16A commando socket adapter would also be sensible. Both of these can be bought directly from Tesla, or there’s third parties, as linked above.

Reactions: InventEd
My recent France planning- worth having a look at:

Tesco clubcard vouchers good for the Channel Tunnel.

Reactions: Cantonalegod
FWIW the 'granny cable' that came with my Model X didn't work in Norway, much to my surprise, even with the relevant pin adapters to connect to their domestic sockets. Obviously you won't be going via Norway (not unless you get really lost!), but my advice would be to check that whatever charging cables you get work in the countries you're visiting.

Apparently in Norway there's something about the way that the ground pin connects. I can't quite recall the details, but it caught me unawares.

Best of luck!

• Informative
Reactions: WannabeOwner
NewbieT, thank you for the links, they are really useful.

I see that Big&Go only accept payment by SEPA Euro direct debit. Have you managed to get this working with a UK Sterling personal bank account?