Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving to LA from Bay Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning road trip with Tesla for first time, little nervous and anxious.

I have Model X 75 D, 237 miles range for 100% capacity. And, per Tesla trip planner, there are a couple of 15 mins stop for charging on the trip.

My question is what if I don't stop for those 15 mins stop and charge more at the next stop. For example, instead of charging 15 mins at Hollister and drive straight to Harris Ranch and charge 50 mins instead of 35 mins.

Any pros, cons , tips?

Thanks!

Computer just calculates the most time efficient charging schedule considering a buffer that you have set.

You are free to chose an alternative charging schedule depending on your individual circumstances.

Batteries charge best and fastest in the middle of their range. That usually means total less time to make the trip.

Getting more than 90% charge at Superchargers gets pretty slow and fatigues your battery.

Consider stopping at Kettleman Super Charger (down the road from Harris Ranch). It's a huge solar powered facility with really nice coffee shop/waiting room attached.

I think the computer computes a least stops trip plan. EVTripPlanner and ABetterRoutePlanner will usually optimize trip time with more stops.

You definitely want to stay towards the bottom half of the battery in order to charge faster. Arrive with 10%-20% and leave with enough to reach the next Supercharger with the same amount. For long distance travel that usually means stopping at every Supercharger. For California you can be more selective. If you enter your next stop into the nav it tells you how much charge it expects to have remaining at that destination while you're charging. So you can leave when it says you're OK or watch that charge remaining number to add a bit more margin. We usually try for 20%, but that might slow down an X 75D a bit too much.

Watch the charge remaining at destination while your driving for assurance that things are going according to plan. If it gets lower than you want (10% for me), slow down a few MPH to stabilize it or bring it back up to target.

Kettleman is a nice Tesla hangout. We usually stop at Tejon Ranch as well.