TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Driving to Tampa tomorrow and not taking the Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SeminoleFSU, Dec 6, 2013.

1. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

#1 SeminoleFSU, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    Not comfortable parking it "just anywhere"... and it would take at least 6hrs of charging doing 65MPH down there... turns a 6+hr trip into a 12+hr one... Somebody please give me the thrashing a deserve for wussing out... :tongue: and more importantly for leaving my S for a week while I'm on a cruise.... :scared:

2. Zapped

Zapped Model S - PURE EV

understandable.. so what are you driving ?

3. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

my GF's 2008 Honda CRV

4. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Aren't there Superchargers in Florida now? None of them are along your route?

5. Earthdog

Earthdog Member

They are on the East Coast of FL not the West Coast. I myself just did Atlanta to FLL and back last week. The Superchargers spoil you very quick.

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

There's a reason Floridians have been asking for a Supercharger in the Ocala/Gainesville area....

On another note, Tesla Service Center has been generous in letting folks park there and you come back to a fully charged car.

7. capt601

capt601 Vin02324

Can't remmeber where the superchargers are in FL, but isn't there one by new Smyrna beach? Than you could cut across via I4? Than park at the service center and cab it?

8. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

Then consider yourself thrashed.
    You could use your MS this trip, just break it up a bit differently.
    Check out Earthdog's trek Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/24693-Trip-from-Atlanta-to-Fort-Lauderdale

Just cut across Florida and leave your car at the Service Center.

Easy - Peasy.

9. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

#9 SeminoleFSU, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    To quote my fellow Seminole Lee Corso, not so fast my friend!! :) Cruise ship leaves on a sunday and comes back on a Sunday. We could have gotten the car down to the Tampa service center if we left at like 3-4AM... charged in Tifton, GA at the museum of agriculture and then again possibly at a KOA like in Wildwood, Fl. I called Tesla in Tampa and they wwere willing to let me leave my car with them on Saturday evening for the entire week.. BUT we would've had to get another hotel room the Sunday we got back because Tesla isn't open... and that means another day off from work and driving back on Monday. Additionally Tesla has no Dropbox for leaving the car keys after hours if we somehow couldn't make it down there Saturday evening in time. 6hr drive turns to 12+HR drive with an additional day off of work

10. apvbguy

apvbguy Banned

you may not realize the distances between the two places, is about 140 miles.

11. Earthdog

Earthdog Member

Nope I'm on your side this is not a trip I would make either. Honestly not sure I would do my trip to FLL again. The charging around Tifton area is just a waste of time. It would be different if you could charge at the Agriculture Museum but we can't anymore and the campgrounds are boring.

12. kvietor

kvietor Model S S280 VIN 168

Next time, give the service center in Tampa a call in advance. You'd be suprised at what lengths they go to for customers. No promises but keep it in mind.

13. Liz G

Liz G P03056

Totally understand. We will be leaving Lithie at home over the holidays while on a cruise. We're leaving out of New Orleans and there are no Superchargers between St. Louis and there currently. Plus, I'm not sure if I could leave her unattended in a parking garage for a week. She'll be safely at home plugged in. Waiting for us to get back.

14. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

Agreed.
    Service Centers are very accommodating and do amazing things for Customers (with enough advanced notice).
    Might of been able to meet someone to both drop off and pick up your car on Sundays @ the Tampa Service Center.

Alternate route could have been: Atlanta to Valdosta/Lake Park KOA: 237 miles, charge for 7- 8 hours, maybe even while you spend an overnight.
    Valdosta/Lake Park to Port Orange: 206 miles, Supercharge for 45 minutes
    Head Southwest across state to Tampa Service Center: 141 miles, check car in, grab a cab for the cruise ship dock.

Yes, it takes a bit of extra preparation, planning and patience, but you could have done it.

15. NoMoreGas

NoMoreGas Member

Better safe than sorry for leaving it parked at a lot for a week. Good move leaving it at home.

16. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

I did call them and they were willing to keep the car for the week, but there was no way to drop it off after hours (Dropbox for keys, for example) and the biggest problem was we get back on Sunday... so how to get the car back without wasting another night in Tampa?

- - - Updated - - -

On the way down we stopped at the GA Museum of Agriculture and they no longer offered RV parking, and I couldn't get past the gates to get into the parking area where I thought the 50 amp plugs might still be to see if they still existed or removed. I asked the lady in charge at the front desk and she was clueless... All she could tell me was they no longer offered RV parking. Knew Nothing About 50 Amp Plugs. That's a bummer because if you could charge there, at least you could walk around and see the "museum" and I use that term extremely loosely

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I thought too. Too bad tho because I make this trip frequently. .. Once or twice a year.. and we go to Tallahassee 1 or 2 times too for football games

17. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

After we left I did get a PM from a Tampa SC employee offering to assist the next time I need after hours help. Awesome!