Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving to Tampa tomorrow and not taking the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not comfortable parking it "just anywhere"... and it would take at least 6hrs of charging doing 65MPH down there... turns a 6+hr trip into a 12+hr one... Somebody please give me the thrashing a deserve for wussing out... :tongue: and more importantly for leaving my S for a week while I'm on a cruise.... :scared:

Last edited:
Not comfortable parking it "just anywhere"... and it would take at least 6hrs of charging doing 65MPH down there... turns a 6+hr trip into a 12+hr one... Somebody please give me the thrashing a deserve for wussing out... :tongue: and more importantly for leaving my S for a week while I'm on a cruise.... :scared:

Then consider yourself thrashed.
You could use your MS this trip, just break it up a bit differently.
Check out Earthdog's trek Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/24693-Trip-from-Atlanta-to-Fort-Lauderdale

Just cut across Florida and leave your car at the Service Center.

Easy - Peasy.

To quote my fellow Seminole Lee Corso, not so fast my friend!! :) Cruise ship leaves on a sunday and comes back on a Sunday. We could have gotten the car down to the Tampa service center if we left at like 3-4AM... charged in Tifton, GA at the museum of agriculture and then again possibly at a KOA like in Wildwood, Fl. I called Tesla in Tampa and they wwere willing to let me leave my car with them on Saturday evening for the entire week.. BUT we would've had to get another hotel room the Sunday we got back because Tesla isn't open... and that means another day off from work and driving back on Monday. Additionally Tesla has no Dropbox for leaving the car keys after hours if we somehow couldn't make it down there Saturday evening in time. 6hr drive turns to 12+HR drive with an additional day off of work

Last edited:
Nope I'm on your side this is not a trip I would make either. Honestly not sure I would do my trip to FLL again. The charging around Tifton area is just a waste of time. It would be different if you could charge at the Agriculture Museum but we can't anymore and the campgrounds are boring.

To quote my fellow Seminole Lee Corso, not so fast my friend!! :) Cruise ship leaves on a sunday and comes back on a Sunday. We could have gotten the car down to the Tampa service center if we left at like 3-4AM... charged in Tifton, GA at the museum of agriculture and then again possibly at a KOA like in Wildwood, Fl. I called Tesla in Tampa and they wwere willing to let me leave my car with them on Saturday evening for the entire week.. BUT we would've had to get another hotel room the Sunday we got back because Tesla isn't open... and that means another day off from work and driving back on Monday. Additionally Tesla has no Dropbox for leaving the car keys after hours if we somehow couldn't make it down there Saturday evening in time. 6hr drive turns to 12+HR drive with an additional day off of work

Next time, give the service center in Tampa a call in advance. You'd be suprised at what lengths they go to for customers. No promises but keep it in mind.

Totally understand. We will be leaving Lithie at home over the holidays while on a cruise. We're leaving out of New Orleans and there are no Superchargers between St. Louis and there currently. Plus, I'm not sure if I could leave her unattended in a parking garage for a week. She'll be safely at home plugged in. Waiting for us to get back.

Next time, give the service center in Tampa a call in advance. You'd be suprised at what lengths they go to for customers. No promises but keep it in mind.

Agreed.
Service Centers are very accommodating and do amazing things for Customers (with enough advanced notice).
Might of been able to meet someone to both drop off and pick up your car on Sundays @ the Tampa Service Center.

Alternate route could have been: Atlanta to Valdosta/Lake Park KOA: 237 miles, charge for 7- 8 hours, maybe even while you spend an overnight.
Valdosta/Lake Park to Port Orange: 206 miles, Supercharge for 45 minutes
Head Southwest across state to Tampa Service Center: 141 miles, check car in, grab a cab for the cruise ship dock.

Yes, it takes a bit of extra preparation, planning and patience, but you could have done it.

I did call them and they were willing to keep the car for the week, but there was no way to drop it off after hours (Dropbox for keys, for example) and the biggest problem was we get back on Sunday... so how to get the car back without wasting another night in Tampa?

- - - Updated - - -

On the way down we stopped at the GA Museum of Agriculture and they no longer offered RV parking, and I couldn't get past the gates to get into the parking area where I thought the 50 amp plugs might still be to see if they still existed or removed. I asked the lady in charge at the front desk and she was clueless... All she could tell me was they no longer offered RV parking. Knew Nothing About 50 Amp Plugs. That's a bummer because if you could charge there, at least you could walk around and see the "museum" and I use that term extremely loosely

- - - Updated - - -

Better safe than sorry for leaving it parked at a lot for a week. Good move leaving it at home.
This is what I thought too. Too bad tho because I make this trip frequently. .. Once or twice a year.. and we go to Tallahassee 1 or 2 times too for football games