Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving to Yosemite from Bay Area and back - can it be done?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
So I've been trying to plan a trip to Yosemite this winter, but until the Manteca supercharger is done it looks like it might be a hassle since there are no destination HPWC chargers in the valley.

Even when Manteca is done, will it be possible to drive to the valley and back to the supercharger without charging a little at the destination? Sounds like one of the fancier hotels (Ahwahnee, Wawona, etc.) should invest in a handful of HPWCs.

Marc,

There is a HPWC at a hotel in Groveland off SR120. That should be easy for you to reach from the Bay Area. Plan your journey to stop for lunch for 1-1/2 hours or so (assuming you have dual chargers,) to add about 70 miles or so of range. That, combined with a full charge upon departure should be enough to reach Yosemite Valley. There is a 30-amp public charger in the Valley, so you could recharge there for your journey home.

Check PlugShare for the exact locations of the HPWC and public charger. The Tesla "find us" site will also list the Groveland hotel.

You are correct in mentioning that the Ahwahnee needs a HPWC, but the convoluted contracts between the National Park Service and the concessionaire, Delaware North, and their contract renewal dispute, may hinder any destination charging until a new contract is signed to run all the amenities in Yosemite.

I've done this trip in my 60, albeit in late June. This was before I was aware of the hotel in Groveland with the HPWC. I charged at a campsite just past Groveland that had plenty of 40A charging options. Yes, the Manteca SC will make this trip a lot easier, but Groveland is actually a cool little town and a nice place to stop. Yes, you'll need to charge at the 30A station in the Valley once you get there, but even in peak season that was easy to do since there are next to no BEVs in the park. Or, if you don't need to stay in the valley, consider staying at the Tenaya Lodge which has two Level II chargers for guests.

Last edited:
Yes it can be done but there is a risk that the charger in Yosemite Valley may be occupied. Best to charge at the HPWC at the Groveland Hotel for a few hours, they charged me $10 which was certainly worth it.

And yes Tenaya Lodge is an option for charging if you take the more southerly route into the valley, but I think they only let hotel guest use their charger, and it's slow.

When Manteca is operational the trip will be easy. I think Manteca will be up in less than two months, hopefully.