Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving visualization temporarily degraded message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3P with FSD, 7 months old. All visualizations stop working and disappear within 1-2 minutes after car wakes up.

Happens while I’m sitting parked or driving. It will sometimes randomly reappear for brief periods, before disappearing and displaying the message “Driving visualization temporarily degraded. Feature may be restored on next drive”

Autopilot, FDS, Sentry Mode, and auto wipers do not function as a result of the loss of visualizations.

Booked an appointment with Tesla Service just over 3 weeks ago. Appointment is this week.

Attachments

• DD1870CB-3720-409F-B68B-5076AD5A0C39.jpeg
    DD1870CB-3720-409F-B68B-5076AD5A0C39.jpeg
    705.4 KB · Views: 1,491
  • 185C1C03-76A3-4D65-B27E-E8C93B6EC68A.jpeg
    185C1C03-76A3-4D65-B27E-E8C93B6EC68A.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 1,418
This Sounds almost exactly like what I experienced with my car. Take a look at my posting in this forum for better explanation. This is the part that they just ordered last night after having my car for a week.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200728-085155_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200728-085155_Gmail.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 1,555
Thanks! I just picked up my car from the service center. They are saying that all hardware checked out and the problem is with a buggy update but I’m running 2020.28.5 and this started 2 updates ago shortly after installation of 2020.24.6.

They are saying i should deactivate the Full self driving feature (FSD) and wait until there is a future software update.

Not sure about this as I could not find any other posts on this issue and I would assume it would affect others, however the service rep did tell me they are aware of this issue affecting others and that they are working on a fix.

Appreciate you sharing the info. I’ll follow up with the service center if the next update does not fix this issue.

Attachments

• 64122AF6-562D-421A-96C0-6C640BA693DA.jpeg
    64122AF6-562D-421A-96C0-6C640BA693DA.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 1,394
It has 2 days since my visit to the service center and after turning off the “Full self driving visualization preview” (in the autopilot menu) as instructed by the service staff, visualizations, auto pilot, FSD, auto summon, and auto wipers have been functioning flawlessly. It looks like it is indeed a software issue as communicated by the service center. I have not yet tried reactivating sentry mode.

Will be waiting for the next software update before trying to reactivate the full self driving visualization preview option.

Attachments

• B1759E42-6940-4184-ABF8-601CBB97637D.jpeg
    B1759E42-6940-4184-ABF8-601CBB97637D.jpeg
    398.6 KB · Views: 968
As posted on another thread about the loss of Autopilot, I just updated to 2020.28.6. Turned on the Full self driving visualization option and within minutes, I lost TACC, all visualizations, Autopilot, FSD, auto summon, and auto wipers. Also got the same dreaded “Driving visualization temporarily degraded” message.

Turned off the Full self driving visualization option. Let the car sleep/deep cycle, and then TACC along with all the features were working again, but without the advanced visualizations displayed as the option was deactivated.

The newest software update did not resolve the issue. This is the 3rd software update since the problem occurred.

Below is a video showing reproducing the problem.

OH my goodness. So glad i came to this forum. I got shamed on Tesla reddit when i noticed this issue about a month ago. 4am drive and lost all auto functionality (wipers, headlights, visualization).

I have counted and taken pictures of 4 occurrences so far. Is this really a software issue or related to radar like @Cultgti mentioned?

Should i get in touch with Service Center?

OH my goodness. So glad i came to this forum. I got shamed on Tesla reddit when i noticed this issue about a month ago. 4am drive and lost all auto functionality (wipers, headlights, visualization).

I have counted and taken pictures of 4 occurrences so far. Is this really a software issue or related to radar like @Cultgti mentioned?

Should i get in touch with Service Center?

I would make the call to the service center.

Recommend you turn off the Full Self Driving Visualization option in the autopilot menu if it is on. Then let your car « sleep » for an hour or more (overnight). Then if you regain all functions like it did in my car, and you don’t lost the TACC and visualizations, then you know it’s almost certainly the same software issue.

If you do try this, please let me know the outcome.

I’ll know I’m not alone experiencing the software issue.

Good luck

I’m on the 2020.28.5 firmware as well and I get the warning message much more often than I did previously, but as far as I can tell I haven’t lost any functionality, The warning message is up so briefly it took me awhile to even understand the entire warning.

Have this issue, mobile support could not resolve it. 4 forced updates with no resolution, they even checked the computer connections. No AP etc. Will try the above suggestion, this is a AP only car. Love driving 1000 miles with no AP and waiting another 2 weeks for a service appointment and having the service people tell us to drive the car more to see if it resolves itself.

Last edited:
Have this issue, mobile support could not resolve it. 4 forced updates with no resolution, they even checked the computer connections. No AP etc. Will try the above suggestion, this is a AP only car. Love driving 1000 miles with no AP and waiting another 2 weeks for a service appointment and having the service people tell us to drive the car more to see if it resolves itself.

I had this issue this morning!!! Tesla say book it in for service over the phone. Tried the soft reset but nothing. Will give the overnight solution a go!!!

Tesla now told me to cancel my service appointment for next week as it is a known bug and and to wait for an update OTA for the bug fix. No timeline of any kind. In the meantime driving 8 hours 2X with no cruise or AP or anything is really lame. Perhaps Tesla should have read this thread.

Tesla now told me to cancel my service appointment for next week as it is a known bug and and to wait for an update OTA for the bug fix. No timeline of any kind. In the meantime driving 8 hours 2X with no cruise or AP or anything is really lame. Perhaps Tesla should have read this thread.
Mine has begun to work again intermittently, I have done nothing other than clean the car, soft reset (holding in the 2 steering wheel balls) and monitor.

have kept my appointment but move it along by a week. When I spoke to Tesla (Bristol) they had not heard of the fault!! Will post again when there is a solid solution.

There has yet to be one post on TMC that could convince me to buy FSD. You guys have paid for it and Tesla is telling you that you can't use it? I'd ask for a refund and remove it!

Its not just FSD, this controls the screen visuals and basic cruise control on standard models! if id have paid for it I would definitely have been asking for some form of compensation! Maybe a chauffer to give my right leg a rest ;)

Also, as an update: Still working, no more error messages so far!