Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving visualization temporarily degraded message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you guys that had this error had HW3 installed for FSD?

I had HW3 installed in July, and experienced this on my S. The first time it happened, it really freaked me out, because it disabled autopilot features, as well as locking up my GPS navigation. I had a long drive home, and it took 40-45 minutes before it finally unfroze itself. I had it happen randomly here and there after that, typically fixing itself after 3-5 minutes. Nonetheless, this is very frightening, especially if you're engaged on Autopilot on the freeway -- which it disengaged once and I was met with the blaring warnings and indication to grab the steering wheel.

I took pictures of this, scheduled an appointment with the service center, and initially the service rep gave me a BS story about it being software, but on the invoice, I saw that it was because of a connector that wasn't properly connected/inserted. Which, logically thinking about it, I think that Tesla has 2 systems, and when one is not operating as it should, normally it should kick to the contingent system, but since the connector wasn't there, it wasn't able to switch and fail-over. This part is all of my own rationalization, but yah, after that service appointment, everything's been perfect.

The car was booked in for tomorrow. Received a call today from Bristol service who looked into the cars activity log (amazing, but a little big brother!!) and seemed confident in confirming the last update had solved the problem. I haven’t had the problem since but am still a little dubious on taking that as the solution.

Possibly part of getting in the mix of the revolution! There will always be teething problems I guess (just wish they weren’t at the beginning of a long journey!!)

will check back in when/if it happens again!!

I’m on 2020.32.3 and still getting it hmmmmm

Tesla advised that when this happens the car needs to go to sleep to reset itself (i.e 10-20 minutes) without any sentry mode or mobile app contact etc. Using the soft reset on the steering wheel does not do anything.

That said, I've not had it again since the original fault, it seems to have just cleared itself.

(its just waiting for the next long journey!!)

• Informative
Reactions: TLLMRRJ and bbk3e
Happy to report that my issues were finally resolved following the 2020.36 update.

As a friendly reminder to those that can’t use their Autopilot or FSD functions as a result of the error message and loss of visualizations, turning off the “Full-Self Driving Visualization Preview” option in the Autopilot page and letting the car sleep for at least 20 minutes (as a instructed by the Tesla Service Center staff following my visit) enabled me to regain all functionality until the most recent update fixed the issue.

Did you guys that had this error had HW3 installed for FSD?

I had HW3 installed in July, and experienced this on my S. The first time it happened, it really freaked me out, because it disabled autopilot features, as well as locking up my GPS navigation. I had a long drive home, and it took 40-45 minutes before it finally unfroze itself. I had it happen randomly here and there after that, typically fixing itself after 3-5 minutes. Nonetheless, this is very frightening, especially if you're engaged on Autopilot on the freeway -- which it disengaged once and I was met with the blaring warnings and indication to grab the steering wheel.

I took pictures of this, scheduled an appointment with the service center, and initially the service rep gave me a BS story about it being software, but on the invoice, I saw that it was because of a connector that wasn't properly connected/inserted. Which, logically thinking about it, I think that Tesla has 2 systems, and when one is not operating as it should, normally it should kick to the contingent system, but since the connector wasn't there, it wasn't able to switch and fail-over. This part is all of my own rationalization, but yah, after that service appointment, everything's been perfect.

My Model 3 is having this issue since HW3 was installed. It had gone away. But since the update of 2020.36.10 it keeps recurring almost every day. Did the connecter resolve this issue for your car?

My Model 3 is having this issue since HW3 was installed. It had gone away. But since the update of 2020.36.10 it keeps recurring almost every day. Did the connecter resolve this issue for your car?

Yes, it was a connector that wasn't plugged in based on the work order. Originally the advisor bs'ed and made up some other thing, but I guess the techs, they're supposed to put in exactly what they did. After the service visit, this error has not come back. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same for you.

Yes, it was a connector that wasn't plugged in based on the work order. Originally the advisor bs'ed and made up some other thing, but I guess the techs, they're supposed to put in exactly what they did. After the service visit, this error has not come back. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same for you.
Possible for you to post the work order (if you haven't already)
I go in on the 20th for this issue. I've tried all resets, sleeping for 12 hours with no connectivity, no USB, fsd and all options turned off.
I have no backup camera, no AP, no visualizations, I get a sentry mode error every day coming home when no USB is plugged in.
Very tired of it and I don't want the service center to try to BS me. I just want this fixed.
All was working good until batter got below 20% and all cameras stopped working. (not from an update or anything)

Possible for you to post the work order (if you haven't already)
I go in on the 20th for this issue. I've tried all resets, sleeping for 12 hours with no connectivity, no USB, fsd and all options turned off.
I have no backup camera, no AP, no visualizations, I get a sentry mode error every day coming home when no USB is plugged in.
Very tired of it and I don't want the service center to try to BS me. I just want this fixed.
All was working good until batter got below 20% and all cameras stopped working. (not from an update or anything)

Tried HARD RESET yet?

I believe I have.. But you tell me...

I have done scroll wheel with foot on brake in park.
I have done power down button from inside the car on the screen, and sat in the car for 15-20 minutes while it's off.
I have disconnected all Bluetooth and let it sleep over night.
If one of those aren't hard reset, can you please let me know how to perform it?

I have this for 6 months now. Off and on. Lately a few times a week. Across hw 3 update and at least 10 software versions. This must be a hw problem. The software clearly has no clue. All of us including Tesla are guessing. My guess: it feels like wet weather is not helping. I think it is a wiring/connector issue. The worst kind of issue to have in any car. I do have a service appointment. I report every incident in the log.

Happy to report that my issues were finally resolved following the 2020.36 update.

As a friendly reminder to those that can’t use their Autopilot or FSD functions as a result of the error message and loss of visualizations, turning off the “Full-Self Driving Visualization Preview” option in the Autopilot page and letting the car sleep for at least 20 minutes (as a instructed by the Tesla Service Center staff following my visit) enabled me to regain all functionality until the most recent update fixed the issue.
Are your problems still gone? Software most times does not fix hardware problems.