Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Visualization temporarily degraded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(1st thread post, apologies if this may get posted anywhere but where its supposed to)

Long story short, today, my car decided to tell me off by saying
"driving visualization temporarily degraded" - but may resume functionality after restart etc etc etc.

this was 10 mins in after driving from work. i realized this when i have just entered a toll express way (407 etr).
no road lanes were showing, the car avatar was tilted, the wheels werent turning, the signals weren't showing.
no autopilot, no cruise control, no backup cameras/side cameras. Map remained functional. driving was unaffected.
My phone appeared to be disconnected upon discovering the issue.

literally, my model 3 became a regular car. must admit that i have been spoiled by my m3's ap (and some other driving assistance features) that i actually felt unsafe driving without all of those features enabled.

i pulled to the shoulder and decided to reset the car, hoping it would fix the issue. nope.
called tesla service centre near my house as soon as i got home.
they asked around what time did it happen. i replied. then they saw the event log for my vehicle on their end (im assuming our cars uploads events automatically and reports it back to tesla).
they wanted to do a reset OTA but was unable to do so due to my vehicles' poor reception in the garage.
told me to bring in the car since i lived no more than 10mins away.
brought the car, they checked, calibrated, and resetted whatever needs resetting. problem solved in less than 10 mins.

The culprit?: rep said (take with a grain of salt) my car glitched and disconnected from neural network. he also said something might have hit one of the sensors etc etc etc.
then i asked, did you see any blemishes on the vehicle that suggest that the sensors/cameras may have gotten damaged/covered ?
negative.

current firmware is: 2021.4.21.3
m3 lr 2021 May - refreshed

in recent times, has anybody experienced something like this?
what was their explanation when u reported the issue.
or, what did you do the counteract the problem.

This happened to me one time a couple of months ago (about a month after getting my car). I was driving in the Malibu mountains one night, I just assumed it was fog steaming up my cameras. I did end up parking at the top of the mountain to chill, and when I restarted to come back home, all was fine. I also wiped the cameras off, and they were pretty fogged up/dirty. Not sure if it was in fact the fog or the same issue you had. I am currently on the same SW as yours, but pretty sure it has updated since the incident.

Reactions: EVxdream
I had a similar issue a last year
car avatar was still there
but every thing else was missing
AP not available
nav was working
thumb wheel reboot didn't fix it

Called roadside assist
They said it looked like the FSD computer had crashed
They had me power the car off and on again
Back to normal

(1st thread post, apologies if this may get posted anywhere but where its supposed to)

Long story short, today, my car decided to tell me off by saying
"driving visualization temporarily degraded" - but may resume functionality after restart etc etc etc.

this was 10 mins in after driving from work. i realized this when i have just entered a toll express way (407 etr).
no road lanes were showing, the car avatar was tilted, the wheels werent turning, the signals weren't showing.
no autopilot, no cruise control, no backup cameras/side cameras. Map remained functional. driving was unaffected.
My phone appeared to be disconnected upon discovering the issue.

literally, my model 3 became a regular car. must admit that i have been spoiled by my m3's ap (and some other driving assistance features) that i actually felt unsafe driving without all of those features enabled.

i pulled to the shoulder and decided to reset the car, hoping it would fix the issue. nope.
called tesla service centre near my house as soon as i got home.
they asked around what time did it happen. i replied. then they saw the event log for my vehicle on their end (im assuming our cars uploads events automatically and reports it back to tesla).
they wanted to do a reset OTA but was unable to do so due to my vehicles' poor reception in the garage.
told me to bring in the car since i lived no more than 10mins away.
brought the car, they checked, calibrated, and resetted whatever needs resetting. problem solved in less than 10 mins.

The culprit?: rep said (take with a grain of salt) my car glitched and disconnected from neural network. he also said something might have hit one of the sensors etc etc etc.
then i asked, did you see any blemishes on the vehicle that suggest that the sensors/cameras may have gotten damaged/covered ?
negative.

current firmware is: 2021.4.21.3
m3 lr 2021 May - refreshed

in recent times, has anybody experienced something like this?
what was their explanation when u reported the issue.
or, what did you do the counteract the problem.
I've never had that problem but I envy you for living 10 minutes from a Tesla Service Center. I have to drive a minimum 0f 90 miles to get to one, and also deal with Boston traffic. Sure wish they would open one up in the Hartford/Springfield area.

• Love
I see that it has happened to some of you as well. With my current software, the improvement i noticed the most was that the autopilot ability have become much more precise and trustworthy compared to the couple of updates prior. Shortly after i picked up my vehicle, ap's attitude was less than stellar. To a point where i started questioning why do folks praise ap so much. I cant trust it. Ive given it a shot, but man did the car brake super late. Then it would accelerate like a mad man only to stop again. This update fixed that (for me atleast). But then this glitch happened.
I understand our cars are tech on wheels and one must be ready for glitches that may cause inconvenience.
I'm just happy that the issue was rectified within the same hour it risen. I do however sympathize for those who lives far from a tesla s.c.

Hoping the next disney update fixes some of these bugs. Seem to be taking awhile to receive. Patiently waiting.

I just ran into this issue the other day and I'd never had it before. A friend also ran into the same problem with her tesla and our cars are both new as of like may 2021 m3sr+. It's at the service center today so I can report back what the techs say the deal was.

I just took delivery yesterday (Sept 11). The camera calibration was complete by the time I got home. However, I noticed that the driving visualization did not seem right. When I went for my next drive I noticed the message Driving Visualization temporarily degraded as well. My car would recognize curbs, trash cans, road cones, but no cars were being visualized. When I was backing up my car to return home none of the cameras were working. When I got home I called Tesla and they had me turn off the display wait 90 seconds and turn it back on. The cameras were working again. When I went for my next drive, I notice the visualization was still not rendering cars. Very disappointing as at the time I am writing this my car only has 45 miles on it and I can not engage autopilot or FSD. I will call Tesla on Monday to see what they can do.

Oh when I picked up my car there was a scratch on the hood. The delivery person had me schedule an appointment in the app which the next appointment available was Oct 8 almost a month away. Because I that I can not schedule any other service appointments either and I want to get my homelink installed.

Any advice on the visualization issue from any experiences Tesla owners? If not, I will come back and update you all as I learn more.

I just took delivery yesterday (Sept 11). The camera calibration was complete by the time I got home. However, I noticed that the driving visualization did not seem right. When I went for my next drive I noticed the message Driving Visualization temporarily degraded as well. My car would recognize curbs, trash cans, road cones, but no cars were being visualized. When I was backing up my car to return home none of the cameras were working. When I got home I called Tesla and they had me turn off the display wait 90 seconds and turn it back on. The cameras were working again. When I went for my next drive, I notice the visualization was still not rendering cars. Very disappointing as at the time I am writing this my car only has 45 miles on it and I can not engage autopilot or FSD. I will call Tesla on Monday to see what they can do.

Oh when I picked up my car there was a scratch on the hood. The delivery person had me schedule an appointment in the app which the next appointment available was Oct 8 almost a month away. Because I that I can not schedule any other service appointments either and I want to get my homelink installed.

Any advice on the visualization issue from any experiences Tesla owners? If not, I will come back and update you all as I learn more.
you can cancel the paint scratch appointment to get the homelink done first if you wanted and then rebook the paint. As far as the visualizations go, I know that even after the calibration is done that it takes a while to really start seeing good visualizations, and there is an option IIRC for FSD beta visualizations or something somewhere in the menu.

Seems that this is a software thing though and not related to hardware from what I've been told. Tesla is still looking at the logs for my car and I haven't had issues with AP or that message since, however I did get some condensation buildup on the outside of one of the cameras, like a little bubble and it went away after 5 minutes or so of driving.

My best suggestion would be to just drive it some more (its fun to drive anyways) and get some more miles for the computer and see if it improves.

Had this happen more than once in the last few weeks. Always comes back after the car goes to sleep on its own. Frustrating, as I’m already on my third HW 3 module. Today it took over 30 minutes for slacker to connect so I’m thinking it’s a connectivity issue with the car andTesla servers?

you can cancel the paint scratch appointment to get the homelink done first if you wanted and then rebook the paint. As far as the visualizations go, I know that even after the calibration is done that it takes a while to really start seeing good visualizations, and there is an option IIRC for FSD beta visualizations or something somewhere in the menu.

Seems that this is a software thing though and not related to hardware from what I've been told. Tesla is still looking at the logs for my car and I haven't had issues with AP or that message since, however I did get some condensation buildup on the outside of one of the cameras, like a little bubble and it went away after 5 minutes or so of driving.

My best suggestion would be to just drive it some more (its fun to drive anyways) and get some more miles for the computer and see if it improves.
Thank you for the feedback. I agree this is not hardware related. I wounded if it is related to the version of the firmware on the car. It is currently 2021.11.102.2. The visualization is rendering everything but cars which also makes me feel the other safety features are not working because of this. I also keep hoping they will push the more current firmware to my car and that will fix it.

Thank you for the feedback. I agree this is not hardware related. I wounded if it is related to the version of the firmware on the car. It is currently 2021.11.102.2. The visualization is rendering everything but cars which also makes me feel the other safety features are not working because of this. I also keep hoping they will push the more current firmware to my car and that will fix it.
With 45 miles the cameras are probably not fully calibrated yet. When one selects on the service menu to calibrate cameras a note will popup saying it could take up to 100 miles. The software version you have is a delivery software version. Current software is 2021.24.15. Your software will probably do its first update in a week or so. On the software menu you can select "Advanced" to get the update sooner rather than later but unlike phones when new software is out, Tesla "Pushes" the software out on their schedule and you just have to wait for it. It helps if car is asleep and connected to WiFi.

Reactions: Shelburne
An update to my previous posts. I have since not had any more warnings from the car about degradation for AP or anything. I did have some pillar camera blocked warnings, but apparently with the weather changing it is common and normal for it to be blocked temporarily with a little bit of condensation or even the sun.

An update to my previous posts. I have since not had any more warnings from the car about degradation for AP or anything. I did have some pillar camera blocked warnings, but apparently with the weather changing it is common and normal for it to be blocked temporarily with a little bit of condensation or even the sun.
Thanks for the update.
Likewise, ever since bringing it in to the s.c, have not had any issues but one.... there seem to be some weird lag on the cars driving visualization whenever parking for a prolonged period of time and going for a drive. Either the person walking animation gets stuck on the screen or something else that was around the car. Minor issue. Goes away in about 8 seconds. Just funny at times.

My Plaid will not have visualizations for the first drive every morning and then will after it has been off for about 30 minutes. It then will swing off again after subsequent off periods.
At night this kills HighBeam and auto wipers, I believe in my car's case it is because the front camera's data isn't being processed correctly. A screen capture of recent driving while AP is off shows a horribly distorted picture.

My Plaid will not have visualizations for the first drive every morning and then will after it has been off for about 30 minutes. It then will swing off again after subsequent off periods.
At night this kills HighBeam and auto wipers, I believe in my car's case it is because the front camera's data isn't being processed correctly. A screen capture of recent driving while AP is off shows a horribly distorted picture.

Congrats on the plaid! But yeah, your issue isnt acceptable. Time to go to your nearest sc. Tell them the time and day it had happened. They should be able to look your cars log on their end.

UPDATE: I am still waiting to get my S3LR serviced for the first time. Prior to my service appointment which was scheduled last week I started to message them to remind them of all the items I needed them to take care of. I told them I was having issues where the visualization was not visualizing cars and that the visualization would lock up from time to time. They asked me the last time the lock up happened and I told them. The night before my service appointment they cancelled and rescheduled because they said the parts did not arrive. I expressed my disappointment in the chat feature to the service center. The next morning I got a phone call from the service center telling me the reason they cancelled was because the parts had not arrived. They told me to reach out in a week and ask if the parts have arrived. If the parts have arrived they were going to have me bring the car and they would squeeze me in to the car repaired instead of waiting another 3 weeks for the new appointment. This was the 2nd time I had my appointment rescheduled.

I want to request to be part of the FSD Beta, but with the current issue I am not have to use autopilot. I love driving my car, but it is annoying a couple of times that I would have liked to use ”cruise control” and I can’t because of my issue. I am also worried that this may effect my driving score because sometime at random times the visualization will pop up a car and then the car turns red when I change lanes because it thinks a car is in my blind spot.

I have had this issue since I took delivery of my car on Sept 11. I joke that I am driving a dumb car.

Another update for this curious, my service appointment is now scheduled for Oct 19. I have an estimate which shows zero cost to me, but I thought people might be interested what it says they are going to do to resolve my problem. It basically looks like they are going to replace the computer in the vehicle.

1634059333461.png