Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving with 8.0 and the Placebo effect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have been driving about 250 miles on AP along my daily 50mile each way highway commute. i have logged well over 10,000 miles on AP 7.0 and 7.1. thus far the verdict is....same...honestly, if no one told me that i am driving a new AP (hiding the cosmetic changes of the user interface) i could not tell the difference.
-the lane changes at exist does not work, at least has not for the 6 times i tried
-the car still gets way too close to trucks that it passes
-sways like a drunk soldier when one of the lane markings is lost
-does not slow speed in curves
-accelerates way too fast when the traffic clears in front of
-still no way to select different routes in navigation or to have via points
- nagging has the same frequency for me.
So in daily driving i would call it a non event. i know that this may be in difference to other peoples opinion but ask yourself whether some of the minor changes that you notice are objective or whether the anticipation leaves you with the placebo effect.
Dont Get me wrong, i am a huge fan of this car. i use AP all the time. there are lrobably some hidden safety featurs that are really important

thus far the verdict is....same...honestly, if no one told me that i am driving a new AP (hiding the cosmetic changes of the user interface) i could not tell the difference.

I agree completely. I was dismayed on a trip on I-80 that the car kept trying to take some of the exits! I thought this was over with. Guess not. When driving on other than interstates, I had to take control twice because the car was going off the road. In one case it apparently was following some tire marks from a tractor trailer rig that had gone off the side of the road with its brakes locked. We were following those marks!

On the positive side it does seem a bit smoother in steering (except for the dreaded top of hill issue where it wanders around). There is an S curve I regularly have to follow and that seemed better.

Overall, yes, the same as it was before 8.0 was installed.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
OP - you are probably right that there is some place enough effect going on, but in my car there are dramatic improvements also:

-lane change works fast and smooth now for me, where before it would hesitate.

- driving into low sun on I-10 in LA is improved vs 7.'s last build.

- car slows for traffic ahead noticeably smoother and sooner than 7.1

- lane tracking seems more solid and steering more smooth - less g-forcr on my body.

This last one may be placebo but the first two are not.

I was also disappointed in how the car remains in the center of the lane even when another vehicle in an adjacent lane is off-center toward the Tesla. Deceleration is significantly smoother and doesn't happen last-second when approaching a very slow-moving or stopped vehicle, which is a noticeable (and appreciated) improvement.