Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving with/out fog lights poll

You drive with the fog lights...

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also use them when driving on dark roads where I think (usually based on experience) there are lots of deer. Lets me see broader view and seems to also discourage deer from approaching. That last point could just be wishful thinking on my part, but it "seems" to work.

Reactions: croman
With our two Model S cars, we've tried running with the on and with them off - and decided to leave them on.

The fog lights provide a little better illumination for the area immediately in front of the car.

Plus, the car looks cooler with the fog lights on...

I also tend to use mine often, except during summer. Around me there is a lot of fog in the mornings and evenings which is when I tend to be driving and so I often forget to turn them off. At night they help compensate for the deficiencies in the Tesla headlight and I believe it helps AP (at least it does in my experience). So I mostly have them on all the time but during the summer I will turn them off if I remember and turn them on only for long road trips.

On. We have deer as well. Would really not like to kill or wound a deer (or myself). And yeah, they look cool. A lot of people here don't seem to like the power/focus of the headlights but I have no problem with them. BUT there is not a sexier headlight array that I have seen!

IMO, without fog, highbeams do better than fog lights + low beams for illuminating the deer sprint starting line. The situation where I do not want highbeams and want fog lights are very infrequent since I’m usually the only car on the rural road.

My neighborhood is somewhat affectionately called Fog Hill. Fog lights would be much more useful if they were amber and could be used without headlights. They don’t illuminate far this way, this is not for driving fast through fog, but does avoid the glare which can make driving really unsafe. I was able to do with my previous car and it made driving that last quarter mile home in pea soup less stressful.

I normally only use fog lights when it's foggy. Though, I have used them to "fill out" the light pattern on twisty mountain roads when on-coming traffic precludes high beams.**

**Based on ICE vehicles. I will revisit this after my MS is delivered next week

Just be aware that in some areas it is illegal to drive with fog lights on when there isn't fog, you are following another car, and/or there is oncoming traffic. (Essentially they are treated like high beams.)

So you can get pulled over and ticketed for "inappropriate" use.