Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving without a key card or phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I had a very distressing experience and would like to hear if anyone else has had the issue or if there is a fix in the works.
My m3 was in my garage. I don’t lock it at home. I set my purse down next to my car which my phone in it. After taking items out of the back seat, I proceeded to get in the cat and drive off. My destination was about 10 miles away. I stopped looked for my purse and got out to look in the trunk. Remembered setting it down in garage. Tried to drive home to get it. Unfortunately my car then wanted key card to start. No key card no phone because both were in my purse at home. I was stranded.
maybe the Tesla should notify the driver when the car realizes the key or phone are not in the car and set off an alarm? Anyone experience something like this.

Since you can start the car with the keycard, and the keycard doesn't need to stay placed for you to drive, I'm unsure how they could alert you properly. They could probably have an alert for when the car was started with the cell phone and it'S not there anymore. Hwoever, for that to happen, you would need to have the cell phone with you in the car as you put it in Drive, then throw the cell phone outside without unbuckling or lifting your weight from the driver's seat otherwise the car goes back to Park. What you're saying is that you were able to set the car to Drive with your phone (purse) outside the car? It must have been damn close. It's probably hard to detect precise distances with bluetooth.

If you're stuck, you can borrow someone's cell phone, download the Tesla app, use your credentials, put the car to drive, and then delete that app :) Or you can call your spouse to have them use their phone to "start" the car remotely.

Why is there no edit option? I drove my car, not my cat.
Since you can start the car with the keycard, and the keycard doesn't need to stay placed for you to drive, I'm unsure how they could alert you properly. They could probably have an alert for when the car was started with the cell phone and it'S not there anymore. Hwoever, for that to happen, you would need to have the cell phone with you in the car as you put it in Drive, then throw the cell phone outside without unbuckling or lifting your weight from the driver's seat otherwise the car goes back to Park. What you're saying is that you were able to set the car to Drive with your phone (purse) outside the car? It must have been damn close. It's probably hard to detect precise distances with bluetooth.

If you're stuck, you can borrow someone's cell phone, download the Tesla app, use your credentials, put the car to drive, and then delete that app :) Or you can call your spouse to have them use their phone to "start" the car remotely.
no spouse and I don’t keep phone numbers in my head. I got a ride from a stranger but it seems like an easy fix so you don’t have to find someone willing to download an app.

There was just a theft in SF that had the same cause. The car was parked close enough to the building that it was in Bluetooth range so the thief was able to start the car. They only got about a mile because they stopped the car and then couldn't restart it.

It would make sense for them to put in a warning if the car fails to sense the phone or the card which is what would happen when you got about 30ft away from your purse.

A creative option is to have a close friend or relative added to your car on their phone with the Tesla app. When you need it, you call them to remotely start the car from the Controls menu in the Tesla app.

When they activate that function, you have 2 minutes to get in the car and drive away without any type of key needed.
I had to this for my wife left her keycard and her phone died while in a store. Needless to say she always remembers to have the keycard now lol.

Same thing happen with my uncle's Buick, he started the car while I was standing next to it talking, to him. He then he drove home . When he got to him home, he got stuck in the condo's driveway after he turned it off. B/C I still had the key in my pocket. I had to drive 15miles to his location to move the car. So, it's not just tesla's any car with a push button start, or equivalent, this can and has happen.

At least with Tesla’s, you can download the “key” on anyone’s phone, use it and then delete the app. No need foe anyone to have to bring a physical key.
I don't believe that's true -- at least, not by default. You can download the app, yes, and even link it to your account if you know the password. You could use this to unlock the car to get into it. There's a separate process to set up the phone as a key that requires a key card, though, so you couldn't drive the car from a freshly-configured phone without a key card. At least, that was the case when I last set up a phone as a key.

That said, it's possible that Tesla has policies and procedures to bypass these steps in special circumstances, so you might be able to do it with the help of a customer support call. I don't know if that's the case, though.

Reactions: afadeev and CAM3RON
I really wish I could unlock and start the car with my Apple Watch.
I can use my watch to phone my wife and ask her to unlock the car with the app but it seems like a lot of unnecessary faffing about when the watch has all the necessary hardware to do it.