Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving without a key card or phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I normally leave one of the key cards in the glove department, just to be safe. You can try that or buy a third option, which is the key fob.
Ok, I've never tried, it, but if your car is disconnected from your phone, i.e. 10 miles away, and you get in your car, assuming it did lock itself upon you leaving the vehicle, can you still get into your glovebox to get to your spare key? Not being a SA, just curious.

Ok, I've never tried, it, but if your car is disconnected from your phone, i.e. 10 miles away, and you get in your car, assuming it did lock itself upon you leaving the vehicle, can you still get into your glovebox to get to your spare key? Not being a SA, just curious.
Yes, because you can still manually unlock your door with your phone. Then, you’d unlock your glovebox(With a key code) for the key.

Yes, because you can still manually unlock your door with your phone. Then, you’d unlock your glovebox(With a key code) for the key.
Nope, you missed the part where she said her phone and key card were at her home 10 miles away.
Hi. I had a very distressing experience and would like to hear if anyone else has had the issue or if there is a fix in the works.
My m3 was in my garage. I don’t lock it at home. I set my purse down next to my car which my phone in it. After taking items out of the back seat, I proceeded to get in the cat and drive off. My destination was about 10 miles away. I stopped looked for my purse and got out to look in the trunk. Remembered setting it down in garage. Tried to drive home to get it. Unfortunately my car then wanted key card to start. No key card no phone because both were in my purse at home. I was stranded.

So my wife got a new iphone 3 days ago. We completely forgot to pair it as a key to the Model Y.
Yesterday morning she got into the car, drove it about 13 miles...

Unfortunately the car can sometimes detect the phone key from inside the house so I suspect it was detecting your phone in this case. Or her old phone wasn't actually turned off.

And unfortunately it will not notify you that the bluetooth device used to "start" the car is no longer detected. So yes, it's possible to drive off while the phone used to start it is still in the house. When this happens, you can drive as far as you want but once you park you won't be able to drive again or lock the car (or call anyone for help). It's an unfortunate oversight.

BTW she got ripped off. The iPhone 3 is a pretty old model. ;)

I don't believe that's true -- at least, not by default. You can download the app, yes, and even link it to your account if you know the password. You could use this to unlock the car to get into it. There's a separate process to set up the phone as a key that requires a key card, though, so you couldn't drive the car from a freshly-configured phone without a key card. At least, that was the case when I last set up a phone as a key.

That said, it's possible that Tesla has policies and procedures to bypass these steps in special circumstances, so you might be able to do it with the help of a customer support call. I don't know if that's the case, though.

This is true. You need a card key to set up a phone key. The app on the stranger's phone could let you unlock the car (perhaps getting to a card key you stashed somewhere), but you will not be able drive the car.