Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving without HOV stickers, get pulled over?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mailed my $8 to the DMV and got my cert and stickers, but I just can't make myself put them on such a nice car.

I was talking to a neighbor who's a CHP about it, and he suggested I keep them in the glove box, and if I do get pulled over, say I haven't put them on yet. But he said, if the guys gives me a ticket at that point, he's a jerk.

Anyone have their stickers but not put them on, or anyone get pulled over without stickers? I mean they have to know a Tesla is an EV.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

found another thread with same topic, thx

In Ontario, we need special "green" licence plates to drive in the HOV lanes. Regular plates are blue on white:

ev-plate-english.jpg

I don't have them on my Model S (they're free, I just haven't bothered) and have wondered the same thing. If I hop into the HOV lane, could my defense be that I'm driving an electric car that is 100% eligible??? If it's okay not to display the tag in California maybe I can use that as my defense :smile:

I mailed my $8 to the DMV and got my cert and stickers, but I just can't make myself put them on such a nice car.

I was talking to a neighbor who's a CHP about it, and he suggested I keep them in the glove box, and if I do get pulled over, say I haven't put them on yet. But he said, if the guys gives me a ticket at that point, he's a jerk.

Anyone have their stickers but not put them on, or anyone get pulled over without stickers? I mean they have to know a Tesla is an EV.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

found another thread with same topic, thx

I only put the small one on the back and have not had an issue yet.

This has been discussed at length on other threads here and also on the TM official site. Basically, you are certainly welcome to take a chance and not mount the stickers. CHP has been known to ticket a vehicle without the stickers being mounted (even if they are presented to the officer). The stickers have a serial number that goes with the vehicle, and they want to prevent folks from moving them around between vehicles. Yes, some folks have mounted 1 or 2 and not all 3, and some have mounted them on the windows, etc, etc. There is the law and there is the real world, and your comfort level with the chance of receiving a $400 ticket. Also, it does let the poor folks stuck in traffic know that you are not a scofflaw. Me, I treat the stickers as a 'badge of honor'. I chose to mount them on the black fascia/trim down low…see this photo for an idea:

T2.jpg

Not too pretty, but not too objectionable. YMMV.

Is your garage always that clean? Impressive. No leaves?

This has been discussed at length on other threads here and also on the TM official site. Basically, you are certainly welcome to take a chance and not mount the stickers. CHP has been known to ticket a vehicle without the stickers being mounted (even if they are presented to the officer). The stickers have a serial number that goes with the vehicle, and they want to prevent folks from moving them around between vehicles. Yes, some folks have mounted 1 or 2 and not all 3, and some have mounted them on the windows, etc, etc. There is the law and there is the real world, and your comfort level with the chance of receiving a $400 ticket. Also, it does let the poor folks stuck in traffic know that you are not a scofflaw. Me, I treat the stickers as a 'badge of honor'. I chose to mount them on the black fascia/trim down low…see this photo for an idea:

View attachment 34507

Not too pretty, but not too objectionable. YMMV.

I couldn't bring myself to put all of them on either. I just use scotch tape to put them on when I'm driving up to LAX for work or when I need to get around town here and I know I'll need to use the HOV lane. Scotch tape works well and easily comes off without leaving a mark and not once has anyone tried to take them. Even when I left my car in airport parking at LAX for 5 days they were still there. I think I will keep using that option.

Got mine 2 days ago and placed all 3 just like JPP-i dont think they look all that awful. FWIW I struggled with this as well but decided to put them on as its the law and I didnt feel like getting a $400 ticket from an officer who was having a ****** day and needed to meet quota.

You could properly affix them in the lower black plastic area as shown above, and cover them with a black sticker. Should you get stopped, they were always on, just covered. Peel off to show th correct numbered sticker that matches your registration.

I'd say at best, that's a possible "fix it" ticket, or at least an HOV lane ticket you can beat in court.

You could properly affix them in the lower black plastic area as shown above, and cover them with a black sticker. Should you get stopped, they were always on, just covered. Peel off to show th correct numbered sticker that matches your registration.

I'd say at best, that's a possible "fix it" ticket, or at least an HOV lane ticket you can beat in court.

But do you really want to piss off the CHP officer with your 'hide the sticker' concept? I think that this (and any attempt to convince the court that you were in compliance but unhappy with the esthetics) would fall upon deaf ears.

- - - Updated - - -

Is your garage always that clean? Impressive. No leaves?

Yes--clean garage. Helps to have a fully drywalled painted enclosed space with an epoxy painted floor. Just vacuum it once in a while, and wet mop it if it gets dirty. Leaves come, leaves go....

Last edited: