TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Driving without the key...

Discussion in 'Model X' started by TessieX, Jun 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TessieX

TessieX Member

I discovered that you can absolutely drive without the key.

I dropped my X off to have a clear bra applied yesterday morning. When we went back in the afternoon to pick it up, my husband backed it out of the shop bay and then I got in and drove away (he stayed a few minutes longer). After getting off the freeway, I stopped at the store on the way home. As soon as I parked, I looked for the key. NO KEY.

Vehicle is still on, air blowing, music playing... I call my husband and ask where he put the key. Apparently he placed the key on top of the vehicle. He meant to tell me, but got to talking with the shop owner (his friend) and I just assumed the key was in the cup holder or something and didn't see it before I closed the door and drove away.

I called my daughter at home to bring me the spare (but my husband had made it home by that time and he brought it to me instead). I figured we had both just made an expensive mistake and we'd have to order another spare.
    My husband called his friend, who had already left, but he turned around to go back and look for our key. He found it on the ground!

What a relief.

Moral of the story. Don't leave your key on the roof and not tell your partner... be more observant and notice the key sitting on the roof... be thankful for friends that will find lost things... and Tessie can drive just fine without a key and won't even tell you until you Park and then try to put the car back in Drive to go home.
    Sorry... can't do that without a key.

2. number12

number12 Active Member

You didn't need your spare... you can drive, lock, unlock, etc. with your phone.

• Like x 2
  3. gfb107

gfb107 Member

Yes, if both the car and phone can get a signal where you are.

• Like x 2
  4. TessieX

TessieX Member

Good to know! Thanks.
    I was 2 miles from the house - so thankfully I didn't make anyone go out of their way.

5. TessieX

TessieX Member

I haven't explored the app much... only had the vehicle less than two weeks.
    I'm also one of those people that discovers things that my phone can do MONTHS after I get a new one...
    A little research goes a long way (I'll just make that my new mantra).

6. MasterT

MasterT Member

#6 MasterT, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    Reading manual is usually helpful in familiarizing with available functions

EDIT: this was a serious comment, no sarcasm intended.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. Boourns

Boourns Member

OP, I do not mean to pile on or suggest that you have done anything wrong, but, for your safety, if you have not read the section of the manual covering Autopilot, please read it before you drive with AP on. It has really important info about the car's capabilities and, more importantly, non-capabilities.

8. Haxster

Haxster Member

Sounds like Tesla needs roof sensors to alert you if anything is left on the roof before driving away.

Stuff like keys, purses, briefcases, groceries, babys. :eek:

9. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Reading all these threads about the fobs and how it responds to bluetooth range, I've always thought it was weird, as my BMW (2009!) knows when the fob is inside or outside. Complains expressly when I step out of the car with the fob. You would think Tesla could do the same just as a warning when you put the car in 'gear' without a fob inside! Maybe a tweet to Elon is in order... he seems to be adding features on tweet order lately.

• Like x 1
  10. TessieX

TessieX Member

I'm posting about a mistake I made in a public forum... I expect to get creamed a little. No harm - no foul.
    :)o_O

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. bushburner

bushburner Member

creamed is not an appropriate word to use as a female

• Funny x 3
  12. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

There are times that capability can be crucial. A couple years ago my Model S was in for an upgrade when I was in Brazil. The SC lost the key. They called me in Brazil while I was walking to my departure gates in Rio de Janeiro. I enabled keyless, they started the car and made a new set of keys. I had no idea that was possible until this happened. I was blown away.

Yes, I read the manual. I did not memorize the manual.

I'm glad yours worked too.

13. MasterT

MasterT Member

:D:eek::rolleyes:o_O
    Get your mind out of the gutter ...

• Funny x 1
  14. Cowby

Cowby Supporting Member

LMAO...you made me snort coffee!!

15. Pando

Pando Member

Seems like Tesla should add a notification to the screen when it loses contact with the key while driving. It would help someone realize sooner that it's best to turn around and look for the key before going too far.

• Like x 1
  16. Mine GO BOOM

Mine GO BOOM Member

There is a notification in the dashboard at the bottom if your key isn't in your car. I often have my key in a pocket with my work badge, which often can act as a blockage so while I'm driving the car will randomly think the key isn't in the car anymore.

• Like x 1
  17. TessieX

TessieX Member

Ummm... seems like a pretty gender neutral word to me :p

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  18. oktane

oktane Active Member

No comment

19. hill

hill Member

not wanting to be the lowest rung on the ladder - I'll segway back on topic.
    FOB'less driving is only a bad idea if/when you end up in an area with skuzzy phone coverage. Not such a big deal in major areas - but we've been on the boonies where we'd have to go to another state just to get coverage. Thankyou T-mobile for a paltry 5 gig's of data in Montana ... where you don't even exist.
    :mad:

20. Quick2Judge

Quick2Judge Member

Great to know - thanks for sharing. A "friend" of mine - not me of course - drove away while the valet still had the key. So if it where to happen to me I will know the options!