Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Your Tesla in the Snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Llama.

Lurking somewhere up North
Jan 25, 2021
Who knows?
Hello all

This brief period of snowy weather has given me my first chance of driving my Tesla Mode 3 in the snow.

Having grown up in Maine USA where we regularly get 12 inches of snow in a single day, I’m pretty used to driving in frequent and deep snow. I admit I do sometimes roll my eyes at claims of snow in the U.K. as it rarely amounts to anything that should cause the level of chaos that happens.

But what’s your experience of snow driving in your Tesla? How’s the traction compared to other cars? Have you had to use ‘slip start’ to get unstuck?

Are there any Tesla specific issues or EV specific issues with driving in snow?

On my brief drive earlier, I noticed that regen breaking seemed to break traction on a downhill snowy section approaching a junction. I think I could have avoided this with pure friction breaks.

Also I did a ‘break test’ in a large empty snowy private car park and noticed that the ABS didn’t always keep me pointing straight and required some driver intervention to steer into the skid which I wasn’t expecting.

I think I’ve found the limits of traction on my Michelin Pilot Sport tyres. If I was in Maine USA I would have snow tyres on my car by this point in the year. I cant justify a separate set of wheels and tyres here for the infrequent U.K. snow. Not really a fan of snow chains either.

What are your Tesla snow driving experiences?

Show us a pic of your Tesla in the snow!

You have full control over regen with your right foot. If you lift off abruptly then it will behave in the same way as an ICE car with a high compression engine and the driven wheels might lock momentarily, but the stability control system on the Model 3 really is very good, so just keep all inputs smooth and progressive and you shouldn't have too many scares.

The ABS system is as good as any other car but when there's very little grip, even the slightist variation in the road surface could cause the car to yaw slightly. If it's consistently veering in one direction when you try braking hard in a straight line, check your tyre pressures/wheel alignment/brake condition.

But winter driving is mainly all about the tyres and if you need to drive in winter conditions for your job or other unavoidable reasons, you should consider all season or winter tyres, especially as you're in the north.

Even when there isn't any snow on the ground, your stopping distances will be much longer in cold, wet conditions on those Pilot Sport tyres. Stopping the car in an emergency is the biggest single reason to fit approriate tyres for the conditions. I'm in the south and it's 3°C here right now. I'm swapping to winters tomorrow and I know the car will be better for it even if we don't see any snow down here all winter.

Reactions: MashinBenzin
The issue here is really down to only getting really bad condition a few times a year so not much practice and tyres are often summer ones. Traction is good, its stopping where the fun starts.,

There's a half decent guide here

..but the main thing is turn down regen. You can control regen by keeping your foot on the go pedal but who really want's to try and find a neutral position while sliding down the road?

Reactions: Beasts and Llama.
You have full control over regen with your right foot. If you lift off abruptly then it will behave in the same way as an ICE car with a high compression engine and the driven wheels might lock momentarily, but the stability control system on the Model 3 really is very good, so just keep all inputs smooth and progressive and you shouldn't have too many scares.

The ABS system is as good as any other car but when there's very little grip, even the slightist variation in the road surface could cause the car to yaw slightly. If it's consistently veering in one direction when you try braking hard in a straight line, check your tyre pressures/wheel alignment/brake condition.

But winter driving is mainly all about the tyres and if you need to drive in winter conditions for your job or other unavoidable reasons, you should consider all season or winter tyres, especially as you're in the north.

Even when there isn't any snow on the ground, your stopping distances will be much longer in cold, wet conditions on those Pilot Sport tyres. Stopping the car in an emergency is the biggest single reason to fit approriate tyres for the conditions. I'm in the south and it's 3°C here right now. I'm swapping to winters tomorrow and I know the car will be better for it even if we don't see any snow down here all winter.

imho southern uk just doesnt get cold enough to justify winter tires there. in fact i had quite the opposite problem. i had my car registered in germany and often had winter tires (which are compulsary in germany) when driving in the uk - and tbh.... outside of jan/feb its simply too warm there for those.

Thanks some good advice for winter driving there.

I’ll pay a bit more attention to modulating the regen when coming off the accelerator as you suggest. I see how this is very similar to modulating the breaks in an ICE car.

Do you think Tesla’s need ‘snow mode’ though which could reduce regen brake lock up?

The issue here is really down to only getting really bad condition a few times a year so not much practice and tyres are often summer ones. Traction is good, its stopping where the fun starts.,

There's a half decent guide here

..but the main thing is turn down regen. You can control regen by keeping your foot on the go pedal but who really want's to try and find a neutral position while sliding down the road?
Can't turn down regen in a '21 M3LR. Just don't use the accelerator as an on/off switch and you can control the amount of regen you get with a bit of finesse.

I’ll pay a bit more attention to modulating the regen when coming off the accelerator as you suggest. I see how this is very similar to modulating the breaks in an ICE car.

Do you think Tesla’s need ‘snow mode’ though which could reduce regen brake lock up?
Honestly, no. I've been on the skid pan several times with various Teslas and it's tyres that make the biggest difference when it comes to grip and traction, not the driver aids. Regen high/low/off doesn't matter if you learn how to control the car with the right steering/brake/throttle inputs. Get yourself on a skid pan and give it a go. You'll learn a lot, I promise.

Yes, you’re right. I can’t spell. I blame my American primary school education.

Llama
I feel your pain. I am usually the one being corrected. Basic spell checkers are great but they don't work for context. The one I always have to watch is "bear with me" because if you accidently write it "bare with me" that could be construed as meaning something VERY different 🤔

Reactions: Llama.

No, I live in Ohio and drive a lot on back roads. I have never had any issues whatsoever driving in 12 in. of snow

Hello all

This brief period of snowy weather has given me my first chance of driving my Tesla Mode 3 in the snow.

Having grown up in Maine USA where we regularly get 12 inches of snow in a single day, I’m pretty used to driving in frequent and deep snow. I admit I do sometimes roll my eyes at claims of snow in the U.K. as it rarely amounts to anything that should cause the level of chaos that happens.

But what’s your experience of snow driving in your Tesla? How’s the traction compared to other cars? Have you had to use ‘slip start’ to get unstuck?

Are there any Tesla specific issues or EV specific issues with driving in snow?

On my brief drive earlier, I noticed that regen breaking seemed to break traction on a downhill snowy section approaching a junction. I think I could have avoided this with pure friction breaks.

Also I did a ‘break test’ in a large empty snowy private car park and noticed that the ABS didn’t always keep me pointing straight and required some driver intervention to steer into the skid which I wasn’t expecting.

I think I’ve found the limits of traction on my Michelin Pilot Sport tyres. If I was in Maine USA I would have snow tyres on my car by this point in the year. I cant justify a separate set of wheels and tyres here for the infrequent U.K. snow. Not really a fan of snow chains either.

What are your Tesla snow driving experiences?

Show us a pic of your Tesla in the snow!
If the car “breaks” that much I wouldn’t drive it, a broken car sounds dangerous to drive😂😂😂