Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivingwith with hatch open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vitold

Aug 10, 2015
NM
I hope, when Tesla does crossover, they design car's hatch (if hatch is slanted, 'fast back' type) so it does not need to be closed while driving to enable carrying bulky items around such us kids bikes, playpens, picnic tables, chairs etc :smile:

And I understand you could tie it up with a rope but I want something more elegant. Perhaps, hatch with retractable sides for better aerodynamics...

I hope, when Tesla does crossover, they design car's hatch (if hatch is slanted, 'fast back' type) so it does not need to be closed while driving to enable carrying bulky items around such us kids bikes, playpens, picnic tables, chairs etc :smile:

And I understand you could tie it up with a rope but I want something more elegant. Perhaps, hatch with retractable sides for better aerodynamics...

You can drive the Model S with the hatch open. (I learned this unintentionally.) I can imagine setting the desired height for the cargo and hooking a bungee cord for added security.

Used a Mazda Tribute last weekend, hatch open on the highway for 30 miles, no issues. New water heater. Lol

I've done this many times with different cars, usually from Lowes or Home Depot. Never a problem. Biggest problem is trying to find a spot to tie down.
Hopefully the Model 3 will have something to tie onto but I doubt they will intentionally have something made for this.

Last edited: