Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DRL: Now you have it, now you don't...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ZeroDarkSilver

HEPA cleaning your atmosphere, you're welcome
May 30, 2016
Northern California
After enjoying the DRL activated by 2.24.30 for about it week, it looks like my driver side DRL has died. :(

The top segment is no longer lit (the glare makes it looks like it is partially lit, but actually the whole top segment is dim). The side segment looks fine. I also attached a shot of the passenger side DRL, which is still fully lit top and side.

This happened right after the 2.24.86 update, but I suspect that's just a coincidence, and it's not just a software issue. Anyone else seen this?
Left DRL.jpg
Right DRL.jpg

was the turn signal on, or the flashers? I see some yellow down by the fog lights. Many DRL's turn off when one of the turn signals is on.

No the yellow down by the fogs is the what I call "Parking Lights" The turn signals are imbedded in the headlights!

48-IMG_1815.JPG

If those orange things are what your talking about then those aren't the reason why the DRL's dim those act as "Parking Lights"!!

I've seen similar issues with the the DRL'S at various showrooms including the Fremont delivery center. Not sure if the DRL's are blowing out. Considering they are LED I'm surprised it's happening so early.

Every day I check mine. If they ever seem dim in chunks I'll be sure to bring it to my service center.

I've seen similar issues with the the DRL'S at various showrooms including the Fremont delivery center. Not sure if the DRL's are blowing out. Considering they are LED I'm surprised it's happening so early.

Every day I check mine. If they ever seem dim in chunks I'll be sure to bring it to my service center.

Car got 2.24.102 firmware update today. Was hoping it might be a fix for the dark DRL segment. Unfortunately the problem persists, so at this point I'm assuming it's a hardware failure and will deal with it as part of an already-scheduled service visit in a few weeks.

OK - what the heck IS a "DRL"? driver running light? digital reverse lane?

I've read a dozen threads so far...no one has said what a DRL is.

DRLs=Daytime Running Lights

Not only is it safer to drive with DRLs, the DRLs on the refreshed Tesla make the car look even more awesome and stand out even more. They remind me of tiger eyes.

See @ZeroDarkSilver's Avatar above.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone -- I'll have to keep an eye out for this defect. Sounds like an issue with the driver or diodes themselves, most likely the former. Seems kind of ironic, since you would hope that an electric car company has nailed how to produce reliable power electronics :D