Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DRL or No DRL?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the stance on driving with DRL's? Just saw two Model S' today which is not too common out here, driving with DRL's off during daytime. I leave it on purely for aesthetic purpose but I'm thinking most people have theirs turned off. Is it due to maybe the fear of them burning off quicker?

I think the DRLs should always be on. I think it's important that other drivers are able to easily see you so they don't hit you. IMO it's an important safety feature. I just wish other mfgrs would make it mandatory/default to auto turn on headlights when it gets dark. So many people keep driving with just DRLs since they are often very bright, and they forget to turn on their headlights. But their tail lights remain off, so they are a ghost when you are behind them at night.

The DRLs on the S are tied to your Range Mode setting. If Range Mode is enabled (ON) the DRLs are not illuminated. If Range Mode is OFF then the DRLs are illuminated.

I believe in Canada the DRLs are always on due to regulations.

Not sure how it works on the X but I would image the same.

I have range mode on all the time and my DRL's are always on