Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DRL Yellowing Issue - Blown LED or FW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
There's an old quality issue on the DRL going out on the early refreshed headlamps from 2016/2017 but are you guys seeing the same issue with you 2018/19 models?

I only noticed it earlier this week and I'm on FW 2019.12 now. I found a few threads where people said it was related to FW but it seems like a HW issue. Since I have had 2019.12 for just a week or 2 now; would you guys recommend waiting until the new FW release happens in case its just buggy FW?

Related thread: DRL: Now you have it, now you don't...
IMG_20190414_195725.jpg
IMG_20190414_195715.jpg

My mid 2016 S right hand DRL turned yellow towards the middle of the car. With 57K it is out of warranty and Tesla wanted $1500 to replace it!!! I just replaced it with one from eBay new with a broken bottom mounting tab for $150. Now the new one is a brighter white than the left, LOL. I hope I don't have to keep doing this. I don't think the DRL is LED but some kind of florescent.

This is very annoying of Tesla! My Sept 2018 should have had it's quality issues resolved but it's still ongoing from 2016.

I thought I did good by waiting to get these parts repaired because it wasn't urgent but got screwed over during my appointment the other week. The Service Center did not order my headlights when I arrived for my appointment and they WILL NOT take my car because of missing parts; such disappointing service. I have to make another appointment just to replace the headlamps.

*Not to mention, the ongoing MCU issue. Yellowing adhesive is a QUALITY issue and we shouldn't have to pay for it to be replaced. I should have complained immediately when it occurred a few a months of ownership but I knew the replacement parts weren't a permanent fix. Now that they have a "fix", they are opt'ing to not replace it unless it impairs driving. This rant should be on a separate thread huh o_O:(

3rd re-schedule appt but Mobile Service finally made it out to replace the Headlamps (and other repairs) under warranty.

It was a bit of an ordeal with Virtual Service Advisor not being proactive or following after I reached out several times (I had a 12v Warning for 3-wks...).

Mobile Tech was super personable/supportive and confirmed the blown DRL and went on to replace both lamps.

One of my DRLs went out recently and I’m concerned that even if I pay $1500 to replace, the new one will be brighter than the older...and replacing both of them for $3000 is more than anyone should have to spend on a car less than 5 years old with fewer than 50,000 miles. Since this is a defect rather than normal wear and tear, Tesla should offer a warranty extension...or at least a software update giving Model S owners the option of turning their DRLs off, besides just Range Mode.