Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DRL Yellowing Issue - Blown LED or FW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am just wondering for those who recently had their drl turn yellow if you know how old the lights are. I think the latest ones are revision F on the part number. Hoping that this new revision is better than the D I have. Both sides burned out partially with some yellow. Out of warranty.

I've had both headlamps replaced on October 2019 with part number LH 1053570-00-D and RH 1053571-00-D. By April 2020 I had the RH side replaced with part number 1053571-00-F. At the time the tech mentioned that the driver side was more yellow than the passenger side (couldn't really tell at the time, the RH side was really yellow when I submitted the request). He mentioned I should put in a req to get it replaced. I haven't bothered side I know 1) it will just happen again and 2) may as well wait until my warranty is about to expire and replace it then in hopes of getting the most recent version. I haven't really looked as I haven't been driving much at night to really notice but I will try to take a look to see just how yellow both are.

I've had both headlamps replaced on October 2019 with part number LH 1053570-00-D and RH 1053571-00-D. By April 2020 I had the RH side replaced with part number 1053571-00-F. At the time the tech mentioned that the driver side was more yellow than the passenger side (couldn't really tell at the time, the RH side was really yellow when I submitted the request). He mentioned I should put in a req to get it replaced. I haven't bothered side I know 1) it will just happen again and 2) may as well wait until my warranty is about to expire and replace it then in hopes of getting the most recent version. I haven't really looked as I haven't been driving much at night to really notice but I will try to take a look to see just how yellow both are.

The D revisions seem to last for about a year for me. I also have one D (yellowing) and one F (newer, still good). I think it's too early to make judgment on the F revision since they haven't been in production long enough.

Revision doesn't mean improvement, it could be a revision because they found a cheaper or more efficient way to make something, for example.

Here are my headlights. The yellowed driver side was replaced in 2019 (revision D) while the passenger replaced in 2020 (revision F).

72A9FFB8-B844-43C2-9670-7CE176F3A50C.jpeg
2C533EC8-6920-4998-954E-7A75DC8035BA.jpeg

Had both headlamps replaced due to yellow DRLs, two weeks ago. Car is 09-2019 with about 43 000 km/ 27 000 miles on the clock. The lamps were replaced with 1053574-00-E and 1053575-00-E. Small but still noticable improvement for night-time driving.

One of my DRLs went out recently and I’m concerned that even if I pay $1500 to replace, the new one will be brighter than the older...and replacing both of them for $3000 is more than anyone should have to spend on a car less than 5 years old with fewer than 50,000 miles. Since this is a defect rather than normal wear and tear, Tesla should offer a warranty extension...or at least a software update giving Model S owners the option of turning their DRLs off, besides just Range Mode.
I have a 2017 that is also out of warranty. My passenger side is bad and the want a ton of money for it. This car is way to amazing to have such a problem. I can’t believe Tesla isn’t supporting its customers.

I have a 2017 that is also out of warranty. My passenger side is bad and the want a ton of money for it. This car is way to amazing to have such a problem. I can’t believe Tesla isn’t supporting its customers.
The problem is that they can't just replace the led strip, which would be a $20 of parts, but have to replace the entire light assembly. With how many of these are broken, you think they can charge much less to refurbish them instead.

They'll happily support you by selling you a new headlight. This is what happens to cars out of warranty. Things break, but you pay for them.

• Love
Reactions: Art VandeIay
They'll happily support you by selling you a new headlight. This is what happens to cars out of warranty. Things break, but you pay for them.
I can see both sides of this. Once the 4 year new car warranty is over, you should know you're on your own to fix anything that breaks.
On the flip side, Tesla has known for years there is an issue with the LED DRLs failing on these headlights. Instead of fixing the issue, they just replace the headlights with the same ones. There are multiple revisions, but putting lipstick on a pig doesn't make it pretty. LEDs are stable and if manufactured correctly should last longer than the car. This has been proven by pretty much every other car brand.
Typically manufacturers will extend the warranty on a part with a known issue or at least do a one time free replacement out of goodwill. They should have done this with the headlights.
I had both replaced under warranty last year on my 2019 MS.

Yes my 16 S has had both headlights replaced, not for $1550 by Tesla but with eBay parts and my labor. The went bad at 50-60K mi. and now one of the replacements is turning yellow in the bottom inside corner. The appear not to be LEDs but a florescent bulb with a high voltage power supply. I think that because they glow dimly in a dark garage. I guess they were designed only to last until the warranty runs out. I wonder how may ugly Teslas are on the road?

My warranty is out and I’m driving around with both lights yellow. The warranty is gone and if I pay the big money to replace it, all I hear is that it will just do it again.. Very disappointing in my opinion. I feel Elon would not want his high end cars driving around with this flaw

Tesla quoted me 3500 to replace both, I have extended warranty, so it is 200. My appointment is next week if they don't push it again... I think the other thread mentioned the latest G version supposed to be more long lasting but maybe this is just timing. Modern days headlights assembly are expensive, cannot be fixed and must be replaced (someone tried to dissemble it but failed), fortunately in the US, DRL is not required by law, if I'm out of warranty, I will just ignore it.