Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now THIS is a real center console. I never liked Soflauthor's. That was just an absurd thousand dollar cup holder and tray, and when I saw pics of how it was constructed underneath, it looked REALLY cheap and flimsy. IMO a huge rip off.

That's a little bit strong. I have been considering one of SoFlAuthor's CCIs so I've been watching the comments and haven't found a single negative comment or complaint. Anyone might or might not like the way it looks in the pictures, but his customers are apparently very happy with it.

WOW... They just nuked the aftermarket center console biz (for me anyway). Wonder why they revealed so soon? To satiate eager buyers wondering if anything was coming, or because of the press other consoles were getting? Either way, I was close to getting another, but I think I'll wait for Tesla's.

I bet they're reading this thread and high-fiving each other right now. I see you George. I see you.

*edit* It says "drop in", wonder if it'll be easily removable when you don't feel you'd need it? Also, they originally promised some options that would be cost-free IIRC. This seems a bit much to be giving away for free -- though I wouldn't mind -- so I wonder if there will be other, simpler options (like the "finished" floor).

Last edited:
I've been waiting to see Tesla's offering before deciding on the CCI. I'll still have to wait for the price to make a decision. But I like the modular design (+1 to Tesla's design). I'm not happy that it only comes in black leather (+1 to CCI for more color options). I would have to see it in a car with tan seats to see how it looks.

Still need backseat "console" with cup holders and storage for the kids. Preferably something that buckles in, so that braking/turning hard doesn't send it flying around the cabin.

I'm not happy that it only comes in black leather (+1 to CCI for more color options).

At first, I thought the same. Then I went out and looked at my car. If it was any other color than black, I don't think it will look right. Because the floor and the existing open area is all black, this will actually look like an integrated piece. Any other color, and it would look like a drop in and look out of place.

Wonder why they revealed so soon?

I think that's obvious - to make a statement that they are working on one which looks great and to stop anyone thinking about getting any other third party center console (effectively killing off that biz, I assuming SoFlAuthor's going to stay deep in the hole due to R&D costs and that mostly everyone will get the Tesla one instead).

Clearly if they waited, and if other ppl already spent over $1000 to get SoFlAuthor's, they probably aren't going to spend another $500 or so to get Tesla's since they already forked out a ridiculous amount. It's all about the $$$.

That's a little bit strong. I have been considering one of SoFlAuthor's CCIs so I've been watching the comments and haven't found a single negative comment or complaint.

I have strong opinions and I'm not afraid to voice them. Frankly I wish everyone else was more up front than beating around the bush. I find that a lot of times I voice what everyone else is thinking in their head anyway but their not extroverted enough to speak their mind.

I really like the look of the Tesla center console, and the modular functionality is great, too. But I really love having that empty space to put my bag. The cubby and glove compartment provide just enough hidden storage. I just wish the open console had a more finished look like the mock-ups that were posted months ago.

I agree. Big open space does serve it's purposes too. When I get the Tesla console though, I'll have to find a new home for my front license plate I refuse to mount on the nose cone, lol.

I guess this is a good time to ask. For those who don't have a center console. Do you think you like the minimalistic feel better? Or will the center console insert be a welcome change? Do you miss the utility or like the reckless abandon of nothing in the middle? :)

What? Have I stopped beating my wife? I'm not missing utility--I find the open space with small sides very useful as is. :-D

I am curious to see this in person, though, this summer. I like the modularity and it sounds like it's basically a covered big open space. That could be the best of both worlds, and the modularity sounds cool . . . however, I really like the plain open space and it works very well for me. So I doubt I'd buy one (and I get enough grief re. how much the car cost, sigh), but ya never know. ;-)

As far as why they announced it--well, they said eons ago they'd be working on some options, plural Frankly, it's about time they announced something. I expect they've heard from customers and, especially, prospective customers for months. Now they can say "see, we'll be selling this soon." With respect to soflauthor, it's an expensive niche product and I doubt they're worried about competition. Some people prefer just buying OEM from the auto maker, not third party, anyway. Tesla has lots of competition for mats already. ;-) They either want or should want a cottage aftermarket industry to grow up--it's a sign of success, IMHO! I bought a few things for my old Miata when I got that car; I'm interested in Tesla and third-party options--just don't feel the need for anything yet.

If Tesla charges $250 for a cargo shelf, their center console can't be less than $1000...

True. My bet is that they waited until soflauthor announced his pricing, so they would know where they could price theirs to capture some of the market. It will likely be cheaper than SOFL's. I think SOFL's is better due to the raised sides, though. I would have liked to see a little more bright work on his to give a little more elegant touch though...surrounding the cupholder and perhaps with the pull on the sliding cover. Mine will be arriving on Wednesday.

Am I the only one that finds tesla selling this aftermarket unacceptable? This is something that should have been included from the beginning. What, they design an open space knowing that most owners will not like it, and then charge them for some thing that will fit in the space?? The same thing is going to happen for the armrest for the rear seat. And that is something standard in almost 100% of cars. Tesla is really starting to nickel and dime everything that they forgot.

Am I the only one that finds tesla selling this aftermarket unacceptable? This is something that should have been included from the beginning. What, they design an open space knowing that most owners will not like it, and then charge them for some thing that will fit in the space?? The same thing is going to happen for the armrest for the rear seat. And that is something standard in almost 100% of cars. Tesla is really starting to nickel and dime everything that they forgot.
I don't think they designed it that way to nickel and dime you later on
and to say that most owners don't like it is unfair without any proof to back up that claim

I hold a different opinion about the pricing. I do not think Tesla will price this over $500. In fact they could easily come in at between $250 and $375 and still make their 25% profit since the materials are few and this can all be done in house.

My reasoning is that console storage and useable cup holders are a given on any other car buyers may be considering so Tesla will want to price this to be something virtually everyone will buy without much hesitation or complaint. If nearly everyone buys one at, say $375, Tesla will have effectively raised the price of the car a couple hundred dollars before profits.

In addition people also want cup holders / storage for the back seat which is also relatively standard on all other cars. So the price between the two, the front seat and [eventual] rear seat "opportunity consoles" needs to be considered together and needs to be affordable enough so that mainstream buyers will not gripe too much about having to pay for what they get for free on other cars they may be considering.

We have a skewed view of enthusiastic early adopters on the forums who may be inclined to pay more than the average market would. We are now moving into the more mainstream market buyers and, since Tesla can still hit their 25% profit by selling this at a reasonable price, IMO they will do so.

Personally I'm very happy that this is not included. I want neither front or rear consoles, nor a parcel shelf or high quality textile mats. The only thing I'm getting is rubber mats front, rear and frunk. I'm very happy I do not have to store or throw away all that other stuff I do not want. My attic is stuffed enough already...

Am I the only one that finds tesla selling this aftermarket unacceptable?

As a engineer, a lot of times we think of "cool things" way after the original product has been delivered. We're "good", but not "perfect". New ideas are always popping up here and there (I even dream in software code sometimes). Rather than waiting until "next years model" to implement/retrofit the vehicles, Tesla provides these as aftermarket modifications so the original owners have a chance to upgrade if they choose to do so. Yes, it can be a bit pricey if you get them all, but at least you have been given that option.

They way I consider Tesla's business model is a bit more towards a "base" with "pluggable modules". Look at all the "official" aftermarket mods for the Roadster on the Tesla store. Do you know of any other auto manufacturer that continues to refine vehicles after they have been delivered? I don't. With all the other ones I've dealt with, once they have your money they do not care about you any more. You actually really have to go to a third party if you want something aftermarket. Why not capture that business too? IMO, just add this to the list of awesome things that Tesla does that sets them apart from everyone else. They do listen and they do care about their customers, and yes, they do need to make money too. That's why they are expensive. If they weren't, it wouldn't be a profitable business for them. There always needs to be a business justification - no matter what that is (customer satisfaction, stickiness, margins...)...in the end in one way or another it always leads to one thing - profit. If its not for profit, than it's a non-profit organization doing charity work. :) And last I checked, Tesla isn't doing charity work.

Also, you have to consider that these EVs may last a lot longer than normal "ICE" vehicles. The longest I've ever kept an ICE vehicle is 7 years. Usually after 3 or 4 years and right after warranty expires (usually around 60000 miles), things are breaking down here and there. Transmission failures, cylinder misfires, muffler deteriorates, various engine part failures, etc. Oh thats right, I forgot, Tesla doesn't have any of those parts. In theory, a Tesla vehicle may last a *VERY* long time, perhaps 2x-3x longer than ICE vehicles. ICE vehicles are built *intentionally* with parts whose quality pretty much is only guaranteed up to the warranty of the vehicle. Once that is over, these parts fail. That is expected. And that is exactly what that ICE manufacturer wants. After enough of them fail and you're spending too much time and money fixing things over and over, people get frustrated and then its time to buy a new car. It's pathetic, but it is a valid business model and works for ICE vehicles. It would actually hurt their business if they build higher quality and longer lasting vehicles. They want you have to buy another car after every several years of ownership. Oh but wait, since nothing is failing on a Tesla because it doesn't have any of these parts, wheres the motivation to buy another Tesla? There isn't really any. You current Tesla is awesome enough that it's hard to justify spending another $70k on a car since nothing is wrong with your existing one. Because the quality of Tesla is so high, you might now only buy a new Tesla once every 10-15 years instead of once every 4-7 years. So how does Tesla keep your business and make profit when you don't need to buy another one as often as an ICE vehicle?. How? Easy. "Official aftermarket mods".

Last edited:
Well guys, I think there is some merit to the idea that Tesla is looking to get additional profit from add ons. Stuff like the net for the frunk and the floor mats stick out in my mind. At the same time I am of the opinion that I don't totally fault them. Being a new car company they have to cut corners and I am more then willing to pay for additional add-ons after the fact.

Now, I am ALSO of the opinion that the center of the car was always meant to be the way it is and that a center console was always meant to be left out. The fact that they are now selling one soon doesn't bother me because by design I REALLY enjoy the open space in the middle. That's right, not everyone hates it. :)

Don't worry, we're not short of people prepared to voice their opinions. Everyone is free to do that, but not to be offensive.

I try not to be intentionally offensive. Sometimes I do say things that I don't realize that may be taken that way by certain people, but it's certainly not on purpose. (once and I while I may slip though, usually in the context of sarcasm or a bad joke lol). I also feel that heating up some conversations actually leads to productive results (in the corporate sense that is, I've recently come to realization that this communication style is actually one that a business needs to complement a productive working group...thinkers, feelings, introverts, extroverts, they all have their positive roles in business). I fall into the extroverted thinker group ;) Opposite of an introverted feeler...lol makes sense, eh?