Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those interested in why the Piano Black is being released first, it's going to be because gloss black is much easier to create/match from the supplier than any of the other Tesla trims. Once they perfect the non-black trims on the console, they should all be released.

Let's all be calm and motor on.

It is also probably their largest order pool of customers. So they serve their largest list first. Just a guess.

It is also probably their largest order pool of customers. So they serve their largest list first. Just a guess.

My guess would be that carbon fiber has the largest install base, based on the ratio of "P" FobPockets sold compared to all the others. I would also think that CF should be fairly easy to do, maybe not as easy as the piano black, but still, there's no shortage of suppliers that could make those inserts if the current supplier is constrained.

Agreed.

I am in the category of those who paid in full, and I agree with everything said (and will request a refund). I'm surprised no one made this joke. Come on guys, this is shooting fish in a barrel:

Tesla's Drop-In Console, "You can have any color you like as long as it's black."

I'm glad I purchased the EVannex CCI product at launch. They delivered as promised, and I will receive my Model X before I receive a Tesla carbon fiber drop in console.
Evannex provided a fine solution for those who did not want to wait. They are a fine company and I am grateful for the support they provide to Tesla owners. I am also grateful that I am one of the few who has the Tesla console with carbon fiber installed. For me I find it is a better solution than the CCI with more storage space and more flexibility for having one or two drinks. I also like the Windows phone dock in mine.

It appears the Piano Black is only on the cover at the front of the console, which flips to open space for cell phone charging. Since I plan to keep that cover open all of the time (for placing my cell phone while driving), that means I'll probably never see the Piano Black anyway and be concerned about it clashing with my CF interior.

Also, doesn't make much sense to spend an extra $200 for the CF cover - that won't be visible anyway (at least in the way I intend to use the console).

I am looking forward to a better cup holder - and to having a better storage solution than the black storage bag I've been using...

True; but it doesn't take ANOTHER six months to make the other batches. Let's not forget that Tesla has been promising this for over two years already (a couple more weeks, a couple more months etc.) and we've enough experience to know that "early 2015" could mean anytime up to June 29th, 2015.

True dat. This doesn't make sense. Why not make the others? I wonder if this has something to do with the veneer itself. Perhaps there is something about the thickness, glue-ability, durability with the sliding, potential for scratches. This is the only reason that I can imagine, either than complete lack of competence, which I doubt.

Why not make one without a veneer at all? Something universal, such as the black plastic trim that matches the cubby, interior door handle pieces, etc. That would have been easier, and would satisfy everyone now.

Why not make one without a veneer at all? Something universal, such as the black plastic trim that matches the cubby, interior door handle pieces, etc. That would have been easier, and would satisfy everyone now.

Spot on here. I have Obeche Gloss, which looks great with my tan leather, but I think will look ridiculous against the black leather, with two color contrasts in two places in the same car. A generic finish would have made much more sense. Having said that, I am not about to order Piano Black as a generic alternative. Carbon fiber I would consider, but I don't want to introduce yet another color and texture to the interior.

I just received the email to place the order through their site. My wife uses an iphone and I use HTC. Can anyone confirm if adding the iphone, you would lose the USB that is currently there under the cupholder section? Thank you

I'm pretty sure that either HTC or iPhone would use one of the USB slots. Someone else here could confirm. You could opt for the micro USB, and use a USB to lightning adapter (though it seems from the reviews that reliability is hit and miss). In fact, earlier in this thread (I think), people were saying that the iphone adapter is useless if you have a case. An adapter like this solves that problem.
21SUvPhwfzL.jpg

They take so long to produce a simple item like this, it makes you wonder how they're able to do a Model X or 3. Hell, even the Model S right? Must be a completely other team with different priorities there. Hope the shareholders won't notice.

I'm on the list since ages now, like the rest of you. Thankfully the rest of the car and the efforts of the superchargers make up for this BIGTIME.

Spot on here. I have Obeche Gloss, which looks great with my tan leather, but I think will look ridiculous against the black leather, with two color contrasts in two places in the same car. A generic finish would have made much more sense. Having said that, I am not about to order Piano Black as a generic alternative. Carbon fiber I would consider, but I don't want to introduce yet another color and texture to the interior.
Yep. I have the Obeche Gloss/Tan leather setup as well, and no way am I putting a piano black center console in there. Guess I'm just gonna wait.