Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also notice the velcro tape to block the blinding glare I get off the bottom of the screen. I also use the same across the bottom of the dash screen, which also reflects wickedly at times.

Too funny...

My center console was replaced a while back and My eyes were immediately drawn to this "halo" at the bottom of the screen. I waited until the next service visit and they showed me how it was just a glare. It drives me nuts so I appreciate you sharing the idea.

I have the Premium Front Console (had it installed when I originally picked up the car). I just want to say that the optional phone dock kit should probably be avoided. The phone is not secured in the console and just rests on the Micro-USB/Lighting Cable plug, which is not enough of a connection to keep the phone in place during turns and acceleration. Also, the charger will not connect with a case on the phone.

If you do go phone dock kit, I highly recommend you unplug from the USB port and charge using a compact 12 volt charger. I purchased this very small 24W Dual USB 12 volt charger. It is small enough that the console door can be shut and it does charge my Moto X (which has quick charge capability) quicker than does a standard 12 volt charger, even though it's using the standard USB cable (i.e., not 20AWG) that Tesla provides.

I have the Premium Front Console (had it installed when I originally picked up the car). I just want to say that the optional phone dock kit should probably be avoided. The phone is not secured in the console and just rests on the Micro-USB/Lighting Cable plug, which is not enough of a connection to keep the phone in place during turns and acceleration. Also, the charger will not connect with a case on the phone./QUOTE]

Agreed the lightning connector supplied is not adequate to secure the iPhone under acceleration. The Lightning connector can be replaced with a blank plug that is normally provided with the console, but you may need to ask for it from the installing service center. I'm just going to lay the iPhone down with a standard Apple Lightning connector.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 425
The Lightning connector can be replaced with a blank plug that is normally provided with the console, but you may need to ask for it from the installing service center.

Nice. I may do exactly that. Then buy a longer 20AWG cable and route it under the console and then up to a Pro Clip mount under the touch screen. That would make the phone easier to see in addition to giving it a secure installation in the vehicle. Much better solution.

Does anybody have a picture yet of the Piano Black center console inside a car with Obeche Gloss?
I can post a pic tomorrow of that configuration when I get back home from a trip.

- - - Updated - - -

I have the Premium Front Console (had it installed when I originally picked up the car). I just want to say that the optional phone dock kit should probably be avoided. The phone is not secured in the console and just rests on the Micro-USB/Lighting Cable plug, which is not enough of a connection to keep the phone in place during turns and acceleration. Also, the charger will not connect with a case on the phone.
Meh, it works just fine for me with an iPhone 6 in an Apple leather case.

Meh, it works just fine for me with an iPhone 6 in an Apple leather case.
I just had the console with iPhone connector installed and find that my iPhone 6 with Tech21 case does not rest against the console when plugged in. Instead, it is literally being held upright by the lightning plug itself, which obviously is not adequate. Has anyone found a way to make adjustments so that the phone rests against the console itself?

When Tesla installs this center console, is it possible to get the MicroUSB connector (not installed) alongwith the lightning connector (installed)?
I am thinking in the future when I move to Android, or Apple ditches lightning connector, I would need the other part.
Is this something we can swap out easily ourselves, or do we have to depend on Tesla for it?

I just had the console with iPhone connector installed and find that my iPhone 6 with Tech21 case does not rest against the console when plugged in. Instead, it is literally being held upright by the lightning plug itself, which obviously is not adequate. Has anyone found a way to make adjustments so that the phone rests against the console itself?

When Tesla installs this center console, is it possible to get the MicroUSB connector (not installed) alongwith the lightning connector (installed)?
I am thinking in the future when I move to Android, or Apple ditches lightning connector, I would need the other part.
Is this something we can swap out easily ourselves, or do we have to depend on Tesla for it?

You may both be interested in this thread, though I'm not sure how much help it will be to you, xy46, as my main concern was the length of the adapter: Modifying the Tesla Center Console for phones in cases (Pictures Included)

The phone is not secured in the console and just rests on the Micro-USB/Lighting Cable plug, which is not enough of a connection to keep the phone in place during turns and acceleration.

I'm having no such issues. While the docking station could have been better designed, it certainly secures the phone just fine under all turning and acceleration events.

You may both be interested in this thread, though I'm not sure how much help it will be to you, xy46, as my main concern was the length of the adapter: Modifying the Tesla Center Console for phones in cases (Pictures Included)
Thanks, Andyw2100. I have read that thread and already ordered the USB power source that you were so kind to include information on including the link. This weekend, I think I am going to play around a bit and see if I can modify the bracket so it holds the phone better. Wish me luck! :smile:

Thanks, Andyw2100. I have read that thread and already ordered the USB power source that you were so kind to include information on including the link. This weekend, I think I am going to play around a bit and see if I can modify the bracket so it holds the phone better. Wish me luck! :smile:

Once you get the lightning adapter raised up a bit, if the issue is still the thickness of the case pushing the back of the phone out too far, I guess you could always consider a thinner iPhone case.

Good luck!

Once you get the lightning adapter raised up a bit, if the issue is still the thickness of the case pushing the back of the phone out too far, I guess you could always consider a thinner iPhone case.

Good luck!
I wish that was the issue. For me, my case is too thin (which I prefer) so it ends up that the iPhone basically rests on the lightning connector with no support on the back of the phone. I suppose a cheap, but not so sophisticated solution, would be to put something behind the phone for the added support. Actually, as I think about it - perhaps I could use several of those clear cabinet door bumpers. Would go relatively unnoticed and be easy to remove if I ever needed to do so.

I wish that was the issue. For me, my case is too thin (which I prefer) so it ends up that the iPhone basically rests on the lightning connector with no support on the back of the phone. I suppose a cheap, but not so sophisticated solution, would be to put something behind the phone for the added support. Actually, as I think about it - perhaps I could use several of those clear cabinet door bumpers. Would go relatively unnoticed and be easy to remove if I ever needed to do so.

That could work. Just make sure not to add them very close to the top, as you don't want anything near the top to interfere with the door being able to depress past horizontal, which is necessary to "click" it open and closed, and once you have the 12V adapter in there, that becomes a tight fit. As long as you stay clear of the very top, you should be fine.

I added thin clear velcro to the back of the phone and the door. Same stuff we use on the lighted appliqué letters. The phone stays in place under the worst of conditions. Photo to come later.