Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you know this? Have you looked under the carpet? If Tesla went to the trouble to install matching trim under there, why would they cover it up with carpet? DrTaras, since you'be had your car taken apart, can you attest to what the open console area looks like under the carpet?

Are we talking about the standard carpet where the center console would go? I've removed it. It's just held down with velcro, and it's just bare plastic underneath, with square indentations that the velcro sits in. Not what I would considered a finished surface.

Are we talking about the standard carpet where the center console would go? I've removed it. It's just held down with velcro, and it's just bare plastic underneath, with square indentations that the velcro sits in. Not what I would considered a finished surface.

Thanks! That's what I figured. Not sure why another forum member claimed otherwise.

analysis paralysis

Looks like Teslaccessories (soflauthor) has made an 'official' statement on THIS TMC thread.
Tesla's center console IS the NEXT thing, but I'm just not sure it is the next BEST thing.
This is a big tent and I'm happy that Tesla has entered the market.
That being said, if you are always waiting for the next thing, chances are that your analysis paralysis will never allow you to update your computer either (or is it more properly 'neither'?) :tongue:

It does have Obeche-Gloss, had to turn up brightness on my iPad to the max to see it. It is on the what looks like ribbed area closest to the 'armrest'
I still don't see it. Are you talking about the trim around the 2 cup holders, because that IS the armrest. If it is something else, then it is pretty small amount. Let me know as I'm curious. :confused:

It may not be as aesthetically pleasing as Soflauthor's design to many
Agree on that 100% (was going to write 1000%, but figured the engineers would explain how that was not possible :cursing: )

I still don't see it. Are you talking about the trim around the 2 cup holders, because that IS the armrest. If it is something else, then it is pretty small amount. Let me know as I'm curious. :confused:

Capture.PNG

Since my MS delivered on Super Bowl night, I enjoy driving my car tremendously . One thing that always bothers me is the lack of Center Console. I have two cables hanging, napkins, pens, phones, coins, you name it in the empty space and I hate it. This is one major item Tesla design team really missed. Believe it or not, they know but didn't want to admit it. I recall I watched a video that someone asked George Blankenship about the CC Drop-in and he was embarrassed and said it is coming. Owner survey also shows majority of owners want the CC. This is one of the "most discuss" topics in the forum as well. We argue, debate, and even design the CCI. Anyway, I am glad it's finally coming and proud of Tesla they finally listen to the customers !!! Comments:

Design: It looks great. It complements the "open platform", so if you close the door, it's flat and one can put the lady's purse or Chinese take-out on top. I really like the inserts which allows you to put small cups, large bottles or cell phone. I hope they ship enough inserts or minimum of five. Tesla, why is it there is no color to choose from, only black again like the carpets you sell? Come on.

Price: Most of us agree that the CC Drop-in, should be standard with the car. So why charge us a fortune to pay for it again?

Price: Most of us agree that the CC Drop-in, should be standard with the car. So why charge us a fortune to pay for it again?

Just look at all the aftermarket upgrades you can get on the roadster on the tesla store. It's part of their business model. At least you're getting the option as opposed to future model S's having it integrated and leaving "last years model owners" out of luck. I think it's pretty cool that they do official aftermarket upgrades.

Just look at all the aftermarket upgrades you can get on the roadster on the tesla store. It's part of their business model. At least you're getting the option as opposed to future model S's having it integrated and leaving "last years model owners" out of luck. I think it's pretty cool that they do official aftermarket upgrades.

I do understand they have the business model like that with Roadster, a fun and 2-door little coupe. Model S is a 4-sedan sedan, a premium family/sport sedan competing with BMW, Mecedes, Lexus, Audi and Acura. If Tesla is competing with the premium sedan market, a 5+2 family sedan, they will need to do equal to or better than the other premium sedans and that should be their business model. That's how some high tech or car companies succeed and some fail. Can someone name one premium 4-door family sedan model from the above companies that do not have any Center Console and require customers to do aftermarket upgrade?

Looks great. I'm intrigued by the idea of adjustable dividers and I'm happy that it's going to color matched to the interior of the car.

My frank opinion of the CCI is that it wastes a lot of the space if occupies and doesn't blend well with the interior of the car (cheap looking black cup holder).

I'd like to wait to see a few more images of what Tesla's offering but I'll very likely buy it; I'm tired of all of my stuff flying around when I accelerate. ;)

I do understand they have the business model like that with Roadster, a fun and 2-door little coupe. Model S is a 4-sedan sedan, a premium family/sport sedan competing with BMW, Mecedes, Lexus, Audi and Acura. If Tesla is competing with the premium sedan market, a 5+2 family sedan, they will need to do equal to or better than the other premium sedans and that should be their business model. That's how some high tech or car companies succeed and some fail. Can someone name one premium 4-door family sedan model from the above companies that do not have any Center Console and require customers to do aftermarket upgrade?

I struggle with the complaints about lack of a center console when, afaik, no one was required to buy a vehicle that they felt wasn't worth the money. My "fun and 2-door little coupe", as you put it, was a bit pricier than even the fully optioned Model S. Quite a bit pricier. I knew what I was buying & I'd be embarrassed to be demanding that they just give me the upgrades they now offer because (paraphrasing) "other cars in that price range have those things so you shouldn't make me pay for them now".

Ridiculous.

Lightened the image a bit to make it more apparent...
*ps thought that motortrend said Telsa got rid of the red seatbelt buttons, but I see them here in the picture…?
Thank YOU AnOutsider & Jeroens. Before you lightened up, I was clueless; I'm still clueless but now I can see the obeche!
I'll bet the basic dividers Tesla is showing now are just the beginning and that there will be many options to further customize the space available in the future
Can't help but think that they'll give you a limited # of dividers and then extras will be... well, extra! :eek:
Some people prefer just buying OEM from the auto maker, not third party, anyway. Tesla has lots of competition for mats already. :wink: They either want or should want a cottage aftermarket industry to grow up--it's a sign of success, IMHO!
Today, one of the new Tesla MSP owners showed up (one of the guys here in this photo) to Supercar Sunday and told me that its called "Brand Hacking" and like you said, its good for the manufacturer!

Tesla's Center Console - Coming Soon

Just added to their website - CENTER CONSOLE......

Not bad!!! Wonder which console will succeed......Tesla or Teslaaccessories, LLC. Hopefully both!!!!

I think the console suggests that Tesla's armrest/cupholder is misplaced. I find myself using the cupholders as my armrest.

Shop Tesla Gear Model S

I struggle with the complaints about lack of a center console when, afaik, no one was required to buy a vehicle that they felt wasn't worth the money. My "fun and 2-door little coupe", as you put it, was a bit pricier than even the fully optioned Model S. Quite a bit pricier. I knew what I was buying & I'd be embarrassed to be demanding that they just give me the upgrades they now offer because (paraphrasing) "other cars in that price range have those things so you shouldn't make me pay for them now".

Ridiculous.

Bonnie, Bonnie.... Tolerance and understanding.

While some are clearly a tad over demanding ... This argument is Tesla's fault.... All along the Get Amped tour, GB was openly promoting opportunity consoles and acknowledged the feedback about the open space. While not directly stating they would offer it up as available at no charge, Tesla went out of their way to show mock ups and kept everyone guessing on availability and cost vs no cost. Tesla should have made it clear 8 months ago when they were touring the car with the consoles....

Steve, Steve .... huh? No one has been posting on soflauthor's thread things like, 'I'll just wait and see what Tesla gives me for free cuz I know they're gonna do that'. Didn't happen.

My lack of tolerance comes from the assumption that those of us with 'cute little coupes' were different somehow than those who paid for a premium sedan. Pick a position and apply it evenly. That's all.

My lack of tolerance comes from the assumption that those of us with 'cute little coupes' were different somehow than those who paid for a premium sedan. Pick a position and apply it evenly. That's all.

I can't speak for Roadsters.... But again, I place most of the console issue squarely on Tesla's doorstep. While I did not expect anything and ponied up for Soflauthor's top CCI, I do see a bit of a timeline of "implied" and "imminent" availability of a Tesla console with an almost intentional missing mention of cost ....rather just letting folks assume it would be provided while deposits got locked in. Just my opinion.....

I just got my MS last Wednesday. I love it with or without the console but I am definitely getting the CC drop in as soon as it is available. The next thing I am hoping for is some back seat roof grips so I can hang my laundry.

Wonder why they revealed so soon? To satiate eager buyers wondering if anything was coming, or because of the press other consoles were getting?
I remember when leasing was supposed to be available January 1st, 2013 to the point I was thinking about delaying my December delivery for that.
Then they said it would be Spring, and now its the end of Summer! I'm sure I'll be corrected if the moving target has changed once again!
Is there any CHANCE that we will not see deliveries of this product until AFTER 9/21/13 (last day of Summer)?
You betcha that they had their eye on Teslaccessories!
IMHO Teslaccessories product is aesthetically superior! :love:
I bet they're reading this thread and high-fiving each other right now. I see you George. I see you
Many Tesla employees read TMC but, unless they get express authorization to respond, are not allowed to!