Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. As they've grown over the years, I've noticed that they are falling behind on their ETAs.

and this has changed since the beginning?

my postcard says 'Model S - available in 2011'
2012 was pretty close
CA is a hard state to do business in without getting screwed by someone or regulations

but I do agree that at least some center console should be available by now - 2 years after the S was being sold to customers 1 person could manage that if they really wanted too. look at the FL guys, they didn't even have a car yet when they designed the CC ;>

but hey, I like..love my empty middle!

Ok guys here you go:

Hello Mr. [Redacted],
Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors. It appears you are approximately 3520 on the waitlist of over 6000 customers. Unfortunately, we do not have any new information regarding the Premium Center Console at this time. We hope to have an official update soon, so we can provide you, and all of our customers, with more information about the status of the console and when it will become available. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Best,
Krista

Was very happy to get a quick and prompt response. Looks like nothing new on the timing factor, but as you can see the waiting list is still growing!

I have to admit, I am happy that there was a delay. I got my car, and really like NOT having a center console. I wouldn't buy one if I came up on the list. I bought this: McGuire-Nicholas 22565-1 Mighty Bag Compact Tool Storage Tote, 7-Inch, Gray - Nail Bag - Amazon.com which works great and is all I need. Much more organized than a CC would be.

For those interested, this Mighty Bag goes under the console, and stores a lot of stuff in a little space. Leaves the rest of the space free for cell phones, passenger (or driver) pocketbooks, etc.

My Service Center Rep said they are waiting on another crash test before they can move forward. And the crash test folks don't see it as a high priority because they have other mfg new models that they need to test first. That is one thing about getting an aftermarket center console, is you don't know what it will do in a major accident - it could severe a leg for all we know.

My Service Center Rep said they are waiting on another crash test before they can move forward. And the crash test folks don't see it as a high priority because they have other mfg new models that they need to test first. That is one thing about getting an aftermarket center console, is you don't know what it will do in a major accident - it could severe a leg for all we know.

And the iPad my kid was holding could take off a head...

The text has been changed to "launched" for the Console at Tesla Shop page

"We have launched the Premium Center Console. Tesla is reaching out to the wait list customers to transact the orders as inventory becomes available."

image.jpg

The text has been changed to "launched" for the Console at Tesla Shop page

"We have launched the Premium Center Console. Tesla is reaching out to the wait list customers to transact the orders as inventory becomes available."

That is great news. A bit surprising, given they told people via email as recently as a few days ago they did not have any updated info, but a welcome surprise if true.

I really think there is another opportunity out there, one that allows us continued use of the open space and still gives us more storage. I call it the "Forward Console Insert."

What I am thinking of is a console that sits only under the screen/cubby, utilizing all the wasted space forward (there's a lot of space there). I envision 3 pop-out features: two drawers that could be multipurpose (for sunglasses, spare change, etc) and a thin one for cup holders as seen here. This would still not be enough space for larger items obviously (tissue boxes, etc).

The remainder of the floor from the dash on back would be available for dropping bags, purses, etc.

If I had enough time and skills, I would probably search out parts from other vehicles and modify them to fit. Alas, I don't. Once Tesla announced there console was becoming available (a very long time ago), I emailed this suggestion to the folks that make the CCI, given that I thought their current product may become obsolete. I could see them making a beautiful "forward console insert."

I'd rather have a mini console that sits at the back of the open area. The forward area is the widest, and the most useful. For instance, take-out food containers fit really well under the cubby. I really just want a small amount of concealed storage, two cupholders, and to somehow leave the forward half (or maybe a little more) of open area empty.

I had my car at the Los Angeles service center this week and the folks there said they had not heard a word about this and that, contrary to what the Tesla site says, they are unaware of any customers being notified or units being shipped. Given the concentration of Tesla's in this area, I would guess that if this was on the horizon, the LA service center would know, since they would be anticipating many installations.