Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw the console last week at my local service center. The hatch in question will be kept open virtually all the time so I can park the iPhone, so the Piano black part isn't even seen. That's why, even with a CF interior, I changed to the black, and it will be installed at delivery next month.

Had mine installed on Thursday. I have CF interior and the PB cover isn't seen, because the cell phone cubby is open all of the time.

Used it on a road trip on Friday - and the new cup holders are great - much deeper. In fact, so deep that short cups probably aren't usable in them - but that's OK because they work fine with the armrest cup holders.

I removed the microUSB charging cable since it doesn't protrude far enough to work with my cell phone in its protective case. When I have some time, I may see if I can make some adjustments to get it to work with my charging cable and the DC charger - since that charges at a much faster rate than the car's USB ports (which are used by the console's built-in USB cable).

The other issue is learning to press down firmly on the sliding door to open. There is resistance to opening the door, probably to prevent it from flying open during an accident.

Otherwise, really like having the console. It is still low profile - and doesn't take up much space - nothing like the consoles in my previous cars which were much higher.

Don't regret purchasing it or taking the PB version.

Just got home from Hawaii and, as promised, my Model S was in my driveway after Tesla had picked it up while I was away and installed the center console. Nice that they washed and vacuumed it as well!

The good: The center console appears very sturdy. It feels solid, like it's part of the car and doesn't wiggle when you try to move it. There's still a lot of storage in the forward compartment in front of the adjustable drink holder(s). I'm happy to have drink holders that aren't where my elbows are supposed to go. Remains to be seen how functional these new holders are as the drinks will sit inside of the console compartment.

The bad: The sliding doors are a bit tricky. At first I tried REALLY hard to open them and they would only open really loudly as the locking latch disengaged with a "SNAP". Then I realized that you should push down a bit on the silver grip while pushing the doors toward the front of the car. A little instruction sheet would have been nice. My wife, seeing how I forced the sliding mechanism tried to force the piano black rocker panel shut, WHILE MY PHONE WAS IN THE DOCK !*&#^#*. The lightning connector seems to be damaged now and it won't charge my phone. Guess I'll call the SC on monday and find out how easy it is to replace this module. Bit of a design flaw here as I can see others trying to do the same. One of the tracks for the sliding doors is also visible and a bit distracting.

The stitching is white on black leather. This bothers me a little as the only other place in my car that looks like black leather is the dash. The stitching on the dash is black. I'm being nit picky here as I'm overall very pleased with the looks of the unit.

The piano black rocking cover has sort of a spring loaded mechanism for opening it. Push down on it and it pops up slowly. So I don't think that I'll try to remove it if I go with trying to find a wrap or veneer for it. But it's pretty accessible so it should be easy to apply such a thing in situ.

That's it for now. Can't really think of much more to write about a console. Wish me luck on getting that lightning connector replaced.

- - - Updated - - -

I created this post with instructions and pictures for disassembling the USB/Lightning connector.

Last edited:
So you don't have white stitching on the doors or down below where the center console sits? Thus doesn't seem as out of place on newer cars since there is white stitching in these places.

I have a tan interior. Where the leather is tan, I have light colored stitching. Where there is dark brown "leather" (top of dash, bottom half of doors, walls of center storage well) the stitching is dark brown.

5ujy3e4e.jpg

Yeah, that lower dark piece there where the window button is, has white stitching on my car... If you look at even the simulated images on the website order page it will show you the white stitching... So this must have been something they changed at least in 2014... I don't know when exactly it happened though... The center console area also has it too. If you scroll up I posted pictures of those pieces straight from the simulated shots on the website so you can see what I am talking about.

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store - Page 61

What happens to the yacht floor (if someone has it) when Tesla installs this? I see that they are easily removed and sell here for over $500 (asking price). Are people taking them out before installation and selling them? If so, that might pay for the majority of the cost of the console. I can also see a ton of yacht floors becoming available driving the cost down.

Yeah, that lower dark piece there where the window button is, has white stitching on my car... If you look at even the simulated images on the website order page it will show you the white stitching... So this must have been something they changed at least in 2014...

Is that really "white"? My early Sig has stitching that I'd call "silver-grey", definitely not white or black but it does match the renditions in the TM online shop.

Is that really "white"? My early Sig has stitching that I'd call "silver-grey", definitely not white or black but it does match the renditions in the TM online shop.

It probably is more of a silvery color... Hard to tell against the black. I mean, how "white" is the console stitching? I assume they are the same color (or pretty close)... is this not the case?

I had a chance to play with a center console yesterday that my friend just had installed. I really, really like it. The storage space is really tremendous. It encompasses pretty much all the real estate offered there. I don't see how it could ever be possible to access more space, unless they made it higher.

The stitching is definitely different (white/silver) from my 8/2013 production car (black leather). My friend's car as the tan interior, and interestingly enough, where there is black leather on his dash, he has the white stitching. His car is much earlier production than mine, I believe right after the sigs.

Here is my dilemma: Do I go for it now, or take my chances that I can get an obeche matte later? Like a poster said above, the panel is only present on the pivoting door covering the cell phone area. I believe that 90% of the time, this will be left open. The rest of the time, Piano Black is not exactly a stark contrast. I'm thinking about just going for it. Apparently, I am 600 on the list. What list this is, I do not know. List for Obeche, list in general? No clue

some more information. i got the Tesla console installed. the thread that they use is a grey, satiny thread with high sheen. so up close it is grey, but with reflections of light, it looks white. I have the textile interior and the thread for the rest of the car is a blackish rough looking thread with no sheen.

I got my Tesla Center Console Insert installed last Thursday and I think it’s Awesome!

It looks great, it has plenty of storage, it's very functional. I love what they did with the bottle holders (2).

I had seen the EVannex version installed in one of the club member’s Model S and I’m really glad I waited for the Tesla version. The EVannex one had very little storage and could only hold 1 cup. If you got the two cup version, you lost even more storage area.

The only problems I can think of are:

1) I cannot use a case with my iPhone when I charge it in the iPhone 5 plug. However, I can always go back and use the iPhone cable, but that defeats the idea of having it built-in.

2) You can't close the door when the phone is installed.

Have no regrets, wish they had this available when I order my Model S in December 2013.

Highly recommended.

Jean