Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop in driving distance @ 80% charged.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need help understanding why my driving distance dropped from 247 miles to 239 miles in the past 4 days (around 2 miles a day) while i set the charging cap at 80%. I live in SoCal and night time temp had dropped to low 60s in the last few days. I have a LR non-AWD model 3 and my avg wh/hr is around 220.

Update: Started with 239 miles from last charge at 80%, then I drove to my office today (33 miles one way) and i had 214 miles left. 214+33 = 247 (around 309 miles @ 100%) Wonder why it showed me only 239 miles after the change instead of 247...

Just set it to percent. It's just an algorithm that guesses how many miles you have left, there's too many variables that can change that number. Percentage will be more accurate to the state of charge.

+1 Agreed - When I took delivery of the car and drove for the first week the "projected/calculated" miles fluctuated so much I thought there was an issue with my battery but as you mentioned all the other variables contribute to miles used such as - AC usage, fast acceleration, incline, cooling of battery and other small maintenance checks the vehicle does.

I now since have it set to percent and have no issues with range anxiety and it works perfectly with the navigation since it shows you the % percentage you will have after you arrive at your destination.

+1 Agreed - When I took delivery of the car and drove for the first week the "projected/calculated" miles fluctuated so much I thought there was an issue with my battery but as you mentioned all the other variables contribute to miles used such as - AC usage, fast acceleration, incline, cooling of battery and other small maintenance checks the vehicle does.

I now since have it set to percent and have no issues with range anxiety and it works perfectly with the navigation since it shows you the % percentage you will have after you arrive at your destination.
dont you want to know how many miles left on the charge instead of just reading a %?
I know i can do my own my math by using % x 310, but then is 310 a good number to use?

Setting it to percent lets you know how much battery you're using for how many miles driven. The only potential issue would be with the algorithm that guesses how many miles left you have.

Which is a function of battery total capacity and watt hours per mile consumption. With just % info you never really know if it's a change in driving style, environmental conditions or battery degradation.

Last edited:

Non driving consumption will add to the total miles consumed, but doesn't have anything to do with the total rated range at the end of a charge, like op is concerned about.

Which is a function of battery total capacity and watt hours per mile consumption. With just % info you never really know if it's a change in driving style, environmental conditions or battery degradation.
If you're using Nav it'll reflect in changing the estimated arrival percentage?

I'm still getting used to the Model 3 but I don't think it's as responsive in changing it's miles left like the Bolt is. With the Bolt if I turn off the HVAC, boom, a bunch of miles immediately appear on my estimated remaining range. The Model 3 does not appear to work this way when you are displaying miles. That said I haven't tested yet how long it delays before reflecting itself in the estimated arrival percentage, either?

dont you want to know how many miles left on the charge instead of just reading a %? I know i can do my own my math by using % x 310, but then is 310 a good number to use?

I don't really need to know cause I pretty much have it memories for about the miles I have for each charge percent. Like I said in my post, since I use the navigation 100% of the time while driving it always gives me the end % that I'll have when I arrive at my destination.

I wrote a breakdown of miles at each charge percent:
100% = 310 miles
90% = 277-280 miles
80% = 247-250 miles
70% = 225-227 miles

Non driving consumption will add to the total miles consumed, but doesn't have anything to do with the total rated range at the end of a charge, like op is concerned about.

Okay, I did misinterpret OP concerned about rated ranged at end of a charge. Thanks for clarifying.