Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop in efficiency last month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
nov.JPG
What can cause this drop? Weather? But i thought it should be even better because its not that hot and i dont use ac as much as used to. Is 311 wh/mile not too much for sr+?

Cold.
1. Battery pack has to be heated to its operating temperature, which is far less energy efficient than cooling when it is hot out. Since day 1 (Broder) this has been an issue. Less so in Model 3 than in its older brethren, and less so in warm environments (Miami?) then colder locales, but still an issue.

2. In addition, the are other things more efficient when warm out - like your tire pressure is likely higher - so rolling resistance should be much lower - in the warmer months.

3. How much wet weather driving now vs then? How about wind - does it vary in Miami? Lastly, does your driving pattern vary now vs then?

Measure again in May.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Heating costs a LOT more power than cooling, and its likely "cooler" than it was when you were getting better efficiency numbers. Note, I didnt say "cold" I said "cooler". If you are driving the same, its "weather" (cooler so using heating and may not realize it, more wind, wet streets, etc).

Im not touching the "battery degradation" or lack thereof. Plenty of reading in the master thread above, which is likely where this thread should be moved to if you want to have that discussion.

MASTER THREAD: Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, How to Maintain Battery Health

Reactions: CSFTN