Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop in Tesla Model S battery mileage capacity from 260 to 200 after field service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At this point i am a hugely concerned customer. It has already resulted in 8 calls and repeats of issue replanation on every call AND absolutely no correction.
After my tesla service at eatonville fl on Feb 17 and 18 of may 2022, my tesla is showing maximum battery capacity of only 200 miles. And i am noticing very slow charging speead at around only 130 miles. Before 17th ie before taking for servicing i have always charged the car at an avg of 230 miles+. At some times i have charged even 250 miles. However now I can max charge only 200 miles and frankly it gets extremely slow at 160 miles that I actually cannot charge anymore.

My last remote service person (Ryan) told me that the battery health check didn’t find anything wrong and said that software is reading it wrong. But he didnt give any root cause as to whether a particular patch of software is causing this? He didnt give any eta on when i can get my original charging capacity back. I need help and i need root cause.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Seems like Tesla is telling you there is nothing wrong with your battery, and that your range is still the same as before.

They seem to believe that your software is the issue, but will need to do some research to determine proper way to reset it.

Thanks for response. And yes that is correct. They are saying my range is as before. But that's ridiculous because Tesla model s 75 2017 comes with 260 miles capacity. So when they say its always been 200 miles, do they mean from beginning!? And I think they may mean that I am lying about this and that the battery might have degraded over time. But so much?
The fact of the matter is that Just on 14th May (Sat before service), I charged the car at Deltona Fl charger for 225+ miles. I am asking Tesla to retrieve the log report if they dont believe me.

And yes I got a lose response that software might be the issue. But software version was only patch upgraded during service. And I am not getting real answer that the patch might be the problem.

I am really disappointed. I have been so much proponent of Tesla for these 5 years.

Thanks for response. And yes that is correct. They are saying my range is as before. But that's ridiculous because Tesla model s 75 2017 comes with 260 miles capacity. So when they say its always been 200 miles, do they mean from beginning!? And I think they may mean that I am lying about this and that the battery might have degraded over time. But so much?
The fact of the matter is that Just on 14th May (Sat before service), I charged the car at Deltona Fl charger for 225+ miles. I am asking Tesla to retrieve the log report if they dont believe me.
The S75(not 75D) was rated at 249 miles when new, not 260. Maybe your car was set to display ideal miles before, and not rated miles. It might now be set back to display rated miles which is where it should be. You better check that before assuming anything is wrong with your car or battery. Ideal miles are not realistic, and will read about 25% higher than rated miles. Just go into your settings and check that first.

Reactions: Rocky_H and ucmndd
The S75(not 75D) was rated at 249 miles when new, not 260. Maybe your car was set to display ideal miles before, and not rated miles. It might now be set back to display rated miles which is where it should be. You better check that before assuming anything is wrong with your car or battery. Ideal miles are not realistic, and will read about 25% higher than rated miles. Just go into your settings and check that first.
Ideal vs. rated was my first thought too.

Reactions: ran349
Hi all sorry for delayed response. But @ran349 and @ucmndd ...you are absolutely correct. When I took my car for service, they reset my car settings to factory defaults. I wasn't even aware of this Ideal versus rated settings. And hence the battery display was set to Rated. And I mistook that as my battery capacity got reduced.
Surprisingly, though Tesla field service , virtual service or technical support couldn't identify this as the cause until late last week. Anyways I am glad that it all got sorted out. Thanks for all the help.