Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

?Drop off of rate of charge at Supercharger St Leonards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dborn, what quantitatively has been your SC visits (it's on your profile https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2njZHpv/0/710816dd/O/i-2njZHpv.jpg ) since you purchased the car? It really does sound like your vehicle has reached the point where it's safer to charge it carefully, rather than at the maximum the SC can do. With your specified 50 charges a year that's 250 high power DC charges since your delivery date, which matches the battery degradation protection algorithm.

Dborn, what quantitatively has been your SC visits (it's on your profile https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2njZHpv/0/710816dd/O/i-2njZHpv.jpg ) since you purchased the car? It really does sound like your vehicle has reached the point where it's safer to charge it carefully, rather than at the maximum the SC can do. With your specified 50 charges a year that's 250 high power DC charges since your delivery date, which matches the battery degradation protection algorithm.
Interestingly, that heading is absent from my account page. It may only be available in USA cars. The adjacent headings and rest of page are identical to what you reference in your link.

I haven't supercharged since the last update but note that my 90% charge is consistently at 344-345 typical on my S85 which is the same vintage as yours.

Have you tried to supercharge at another location - ie one that isn't 5km from your home?
I am interested to see at what rate you supercharge at. AC Dc above mentions the absolute number of times I have charged. I know your car is the same vintage, but with very significantly less sessions. That would be a good test of the theory.
Whatever, Tesla should have informed us of what was happening.

More data - not that we necessarily need it - I drove my 2015 85D to St Leonards this morning, inputting the Supercharger into navigation so the battery could pre-condition.

Left 7:12 am, temp showing 8º. Travelled 42km in 1hr 10m avg speed 36km/h.

Arrived 8:22am, temp 12º. Arrival SoC 30%. Plugged into stall 2A, 2B was vacant. Received 81kW at first, dropping to 74kW within one minute.

I am not a frequent supercharger, I would guess about six times a year. I would normally expect 100kW+ for that SoC.

Reactions: baillies
More data - not that we necessarily need it - I drove my 2015 85D to St Leonards this morning, inputting the Supercharger into navigation so the battery could pre-condition.

Left 7:12 am, temp showing 8º. Travelled 42km in 1hr 10m avg speed 36km/h.

Arrived 8:22am, temp 12º. Arrival SoC 30%. Plugged into stall 2A, 2B was vacant. Received 81kW at first, dropping to 74kW within one minute.

I am not a frequent supercharger, I would guess about six times a year. I would normally expect 100kW+ for that SoC.
Had you put the supercharger as your destination in navigation? If so, the car would also have been intelligently pre-warming the battery.
Also, those rates are exactly what I get with my 75D. Starts about 82kW then starts falling within a minute even at SOC <40%.

• Love
Reactions: mrpseudonym
I did this on for my recent goulburn charge (and others). Have not noticed a difference. Curious if anyone else has seen this supposed pre-warming thing actually work.
If you are in a quiet place when you start navigating you can faintly hear a fan/pump/something start as soon as you choose a SC as a destination.

I've noticed this several times, but strangely if I then cancel the navigation the noise continues.

I am interested to see at what rate you supercharge at. AC Dc above mentions the absolute number of times I have charged. I know your car is the same vintage, but with very significantly less sessions. That would be a good test of the theory.
Whatever, Tesla should have informed us of what was happening.
To be honest I only supercharge on long trips because my time is worth more than the $8-10 per week and I can charge at home. I'll look at it next time I head down to Canberra.

Sitting here at St Leonard’s, no other car charging. Battery not overheated, came from the city. 1/3rd full at start, now sitting at 36kW. Tried a different bay, same result. But on one of our regular trips south, both Goulburn and Cooma started out at 115 kW (started 65 here and tapered off to 40 really quickly). Now, here’s my conspiracy-theory theory ... if it’s your local supercharger and they know you have home charging, they limit the rate to discourage you from using it.

I am a reasonably new user of the teslaspy app which enables viewing of the data my car sends to Tesla.
It is a simple matter to log in and check charging rates. Over time I expect to be able to determine if my charging rates have been throttled and/or different rates at different SCs. Bit like comparing apples with apples without too much anecdotal "evidence"? And I mostly charge from solar at home anyway.
I am in no way connected or associated with the app or its developers. And I think the $50 USD pa is a bit steep but the info seems worth the outlay.

Analysis of a charge I got at the Goulburn SC yesterday shows that I started at 17.14 and finished at 18.44.
Start SOC was 65% and charge rate then was 300kms/hr and finish was 100%.
Screen Shot 2019-08-11 at 11.46.24 am.png

In was at the Rich SC Early Thursday morning charging my 2015 85D. I arrived with about 55% charge & max charge I saw was about 45kWs which tapered from there. I was able to speak to two X owners who said they got over 100Kws at some point of their charge. I tried the battery heating trick but dont think it works for my model as it made no difference. Conclusion : I think it is the car that is affected by low charging rats not the SCs putting out less. Ill try a regional charger when I go to one next.

I used the Adelaide supercharger today as it was an easy parking spot for a nearby shop. It was painfully slow. No-one else there and a Sunday morning, so plenty of power available. It was charging at 30kw at 50% battery capacity. Essentially I spent the same amount of time as at the supercharger but recieved a lot less power, so I guess thats how tesla save money. Not a great marketing move for what is one of the single biggest issues for electric cars. We can no longer say charging is fast.

Given a class action has been launched I don't think we're going to get any more information out of Tesla.

Only option is to stay at or below 2019.16 or plan on spending 30% more time at superchargers.

One would hope Tesla would make it right (like they used to) but I've got a feeling this one might drag out.