TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Drop Tanks"

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by iridium, May 18, 2013.

1. iridium

iridium Member

The other threads discussing aluminum-air batteries and other range extension options got me thinking.. could you build it yourself? For example, could you build a battery pack that you carry around in your front and then charge from it using an inverter?

If I did my math right, using 2 deep cycle marine batteries would only give you 2kwh of power, so the trick would be building a pack that was ridiculously large/heavy/expensive.

Anyway.. fun thought exercise.

2. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member

Research Stirling Engines. I hear they are used in Yachts to charge up their batteries. They are "closed systems" so no pollution, suppose to be very quiet.

3. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

Stirling engines depend on having a hot source and a cold source. These would be...?
    Sturling engines are not at all power dense.

4. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Lots of potential with fuel cells but haven't looked at them recently. Don't know of any truly practical ones out there yet.

5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member

Electric motor and convertor produce heat when driving. Enough to power a Stirling? Who knows. Cold source could be captured air flow.