Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dropped my M3 with Unplugged Performance Spring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was a bit wary of dropping my car 1 1/2 inches but I feel unplugged did a great nbn job with their moderate springs. Ride quality is still pretty darn smooth and the ride looks so much better. here are some pictures if anyone wants to see the new look.

Attachments

• 20180418_171117.jpg
    20180418_171117.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 1,421
  • 20180418_165934.jpg
    20180418_165934.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 1,350
Can I ask how much you were charged for the install?
Thanks
I believe Unplugged is giving a special discount to those who have it installed in their LA headquarters. Assume 5 hours of labor time--so whatever your local labor rate looks like will be your cost.

In the Bay Area, I've gotten quotes in the neighborhood of $700-1100 for installation costs. Also note that it requires alignment afterwards as well, so there will be additional cost there.

To answer the questions:

1) The drive over bumps is as it was before but just got a little bit slower. You can tell the quality of these springs from the drive. I haven't driven it up my driveway ramp yet, which is at a pretty good incline. The car has been at Tesla Service center getting the chargeport door fixed.

2) The install was about $300. I do not believe it include the alignment but I can get an alignment for $60 bucks in LA after it settles a bit. Believe it or not, the install time was only about 2 hours. It was pretty quick.

Needs. Spacers.
I got my spacers on order...35mm. =)
Wheel "adapters" are the safer solution to address offset. "Spacers" are simple plates that utilize the existing hub lugs. Consequently, it is not possible to get enough bite on the lugs for safe attachment, especially with something as aggressive as 35mm spacers. The better and safer route is hub "adapters" that have new lugs pressed into the plate. The plate bolts to the hub with the existing lugs and the rim then bolts to the plate with the new lugs that are the length of the existing lugs on the hub.

Some additional points about increasing offset with plates:
  • do not purchase Chinese offset plates. They are less expensive but are often made with inferior materials. US, German, or Japanese mfg is the better choice
  • increased 35mm offset is likely to cause fender rub, especially on the front wheels when turning
  • have alignment checked carefully, an increased 35mm offset will likely cause significant tire wear.
  • increased 35mm offset is likely to cause significant and rapid wear on suspension components and in this case would not be covered under warranty

Please be careful out there. Don't want anyone to lose a wheel while at speed and hurt yourself and/or someone else. I was driving southbound on the 405 several years ago in the far left lane near San Onofre. Traffic was relatively heavy but moving at speed. The car in front of me lost their left front wheel (rim and tire) going about 60 mph. Fortunately for me, the loss of the wheel caused the hub to hit the ground and naturally and immediately pulled the car to the left and onto the left shoulder, out of the way of traffic. However, the wheel continued southbound at 60 mph and bounced over the 3ft, tall concrete median divider into the northbound lanes with traffic moving at 60mph in those lanes. It was not pretty. The wheel was making huge bounces about 10ft in the air on each bounce and hit a northbound car square in the windshield on the driver's side. The driver had no chance, he never saw it coming. I watched the results in my rearview mirror as I proceeded south. Huge collision involving a number of cars trying to avoid the mess. I later learned in the paper that the driver in the vehicle that had been hit with the wheel had been killed instantly. If you modify your car, please do it safely and wisely.

Looking Good! I have the "low" versions on the way and excited to see the ride height. In my opinion, 25mm in the front and 30mm in the rear might do it. If you wanted to run the 35mm spacer, you might be able to pull it off in the rear.

I believe Unplugged is giving a special discount to those who have it installed in their LA headquarters. Assume 5 hours of labor time--so whatever your local labor rate looks like will be your cost.

In the Bay Area, I've gotten quotes in the neighborhood of $700-1100 for installation costs. Also note that it requires alignment afterwards as well, so there will be additional cost there.

Wow. I'm planning on getting lowering springs too and I live in the Bay Area as well. I'm going to try and see if I can install the springs myself. I have done a few cars before. But the Tesla suspension looks a bit different from what I can see.

Reactions: dgaultiere