Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dropped off for Xpel Ceramic coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I just dropped off my Blue Model 3 for a Xpel ceramic coating.
Will post some pictures and how it is when I get the car back tomorrow.

I was told not to get it wet for 2 days and not to wash it for a week.

They claim no maintenance or top coating needed just a yearly inspection which is free to keep the 4 year warrantee.

Side note I didn't spring for PPF, I feel I may upgrade in a year or two so would rather save the money.

Huge price difference guys, I under stand the difference and plan to do so with the next one.
This was meant for people who are interested in Xpel ceramic seeing it's kinda new a few months old.

Not a debate in PPF vs Ceramic..
I simply mentioned it so people know pictures and experience if from someone who does not have PPF installed.
Again I don't plan on holding onto this car for longer then a year or two and for me price of PPF is not worth it and you do not get the money back in any way shape of form when you sell it.

Reactions: jebinc and 03DSG
Well no ppf for you now. I don’t know many shops that will put ppf over ceramic. You can put ppf ON ceramic but not the other way around.

You would need to polish/compound the paint now to remove ceramic in order to add ppf. Even in a year or 2 since it seems your warranty is a 4-5 year coating.

that sound correct Burrito
fIz3%mYcRkyheRB0TuGPdQ.jpg

Reactions: Burrito
Lol again this thread isn't about the debate is about info on Xpel.
Missing the point I am trading in the M3 next year for a new performance one.
Way spend more money now it's a waste you don't get it back on selling it bla..

@MumSports why the image? does it have Xpel ceramic ?

Guys lets keep this thread clean please it's already about things out side of it's intent

Lol again this thread isn't about the debate is about info on Xpel.
Missing the point I am trading in the M3 next year for a new performance one.
Way spend more money now it's a waste you don't get it back on selling it bla..

@MumSports why the image? does it have Xpel ceramic ?

Guys lets keep this thread clean please it's already about things out side of it's intent
ppf and ceramic. just a visual

That’s really good because Ceramic Coating at “Elite Finish” in San Diego is $2500.00 so I wonder what you are getting done or what process. Expel PPF front end with extras like mirrors & rocker panel 2300.00 (7000.00) full PPF wrap.

Fred
Paint correction, and Xpel on body and windows for $1000 out the door. Sticker City, Los Angeles
They did offer to throw in $550 for pdf bumper only but I passed

--- Update ---

OK picked up my Model 3 this morning at noon.

So instructions do not get it wet for two days and do not wash it for a week.

FYI
- Comparisons will be made against Chemical Guys Jetseal because that what I had on it prior.
- I will give updates after a week when it's fully cured as well

Now the paint does feel pretty smooth. I can feel the difference from Jetseal slight, but I can tell.
StickerCity did say we're going to do paint correction. Not that my new model3 was terrible, but I expected them to spend a bit more time. The swirls that were there are slightly better, but I feel they buffet it out and didn't correct the paint. I could have done this myself is the feeling. However, the price is somewhat right.

Pricing now lets touch on that a bit more. They offered me $850 for the body and $1050 with glass. I was like OK cool Xpel gives a four-year warranty. Now on pickup, I was talking to Jason, and it was said that four years are on paint. It's only one year on the glass. Hmm, this got me going. It's already done and a moot point but felt like they Buried the lead here. First time doing this, so I guess it was a question I didn't think to read more into and ask.

So a year on glass, it that's the case I would have used something else to seal the glass myself like Jetseal or something better and saved the $200 bucks.

I also get the feeling they didn't do the work them selfs even though they are Xpel certified. I get the feeling they used a mobile detailer that comes out to do it.

This is my Xpel ceramic experience with StickerCity Los Angeles thus far. I will post an update in a weeks time when the curing has finished along with some hi-rez images. I was going to take some now but would rather wait till it's done and wash. There currently is a layer of dust floating over it.

Some questions I've asked.
- If it gets wet, what do you do? Wipe off as soon as possible with a microfiber
- Being Xpel was applied to the windows, is it safe to open and close them? Yes, hardening has happened with in the first 4 hours of curing.
- How long does the yearly inspection take? Only a few minutes they look over the car.

Hey guys 2 days in, Just out side of the not get wet windows still a few days before I can wash her.
I did wipe off some fingerprints like off the back trunk. You know the spot .. Magnet for finger prints.

I must say it took a swip of a microfiber with no pressure at all to take off. Was presently surprised.

These pics are not much once I was will get some pics and some video.
Also looking into the Xpel ceramic boost have''t found much data not that either.

IMG_3388.jpeg IMG_3390.jpeg IMG_3387.jpeg IMG_3389.jpeg

Hey guys 2 days in, Just out side of the not get wet windows still a few days before I can wash her.
I did wipe off some fingerprints like off the back trunk. You know the spot .. Magnet for finger prints.

I must say it took a swip of a microfiber with no pressure at all to take off. Was presently surprised.

Also looking into the Xpel ceramic boost have''t found much data not that either.

View attachment 432883 View attachment 432884 View attachment 432885 View attachment 432886

Looks awesome!

Reactions: tfraley
Good day guys,

So Mystique had her first wash after getting her Xpel ceramic coating.

I'll take a video next week when I was didn't have time this week.

Comparing to Jetseal and wet wax which I had prior.
I will say it feels a bit slicker but not crazy compared to it.
I did noticed over the week slickness Got more as it cured .

Beading seemed to be on par to Jetseal about the same but hands down
The beading running off the car was night and day faster with Xpel

I do notice more finger prints now around the door handles and truck the finger print magnet areas.
At least it feels like thier are more for sure.

While the car was dirty before the first was we had a drizzle about 5-6 days in to this.
I did not was the car I left it so I had little dirt spots from the rain every where on my car.

One of the guys at work same think I went over and tried to wipe a dirt spot with my finger I know I know not a good thing.
He has no slealent or anything more of a reminder. Dirt didn't do anything wasn't going to apply pressure. On Mystique I barely event touched the dirt and it was gone as if did I realy touch the car type of thing.

Also once the car was washed thought finger prints I was talking about literally white with a microfiber barley touching the car and they were wiped away.

I will come back with some more pics and a video or two next weekend when I have time.
I also order the Xpel booster want to try and see how that is as well. ( had to order from Xpel directly)

View attachment 432883 View attachment 432884 View attachment 432885 View attachment 432886

Oh it's pictures like these that make me happy I picked blue! Can't wait to get mine!

I've been debating PPF or ceramic... I think I was quoted $1295 for the full car ceramic (Eastern Washington state) and $1650 for a full front end Xpel PPF... I love the deep gloss of that ceramic, but I think I'll need the protection of the film (plan to keep the car).

I'm going to have to debate more....