Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dropping off for PPF (1st time handing over the card) - Pin to Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm dropping off my M3 for some paint protection (I'd sit and wait/watch, but they tell me it'll be 3-4 hours). I'm going to do the Hood, Front Fenders, Mirrors & Rocker Panels (those pics of rocker panel paint sand blasting are ugly). I'm in Denver. They mostly stay away from using sand and I mostly drive my CUV in the snow, but I'd like the protection.

Just trying to figure out what I need to do and tell the guy...

I believe Valet mode is out since they will probably need to pop the Frunk.

So:
1) Clear the PIN to Drive
2) Set the lowest Max Speed Possible (which activates chill mode?)
3) Ask the guy if he knows how to operate the key card and the Drive Modes
4) Show the guy how to open the Frunk
5) Show the guy the 2-handed Frunk Close Method
6) Show the guy the door release button (not he Emergency release)

Overkill? Am I missing anything?

• Disagree
Reactions: Jarvisd1015
I'd personally be most comfortable going to a place that has done a lot of work with Tesla's before. If they have, then most of what you've covered should already be known to them. That said, one thing that's not on your list is to turn off Sentry mode if you have it on. Make sure you leave a card key with them as well otherwise you're going to have to make a second trip back.

Can I ask why not also do the front bumper? If anything, it's going to take the most abuse.

Regardless, I have a full front PPF on my 3, and love it. You didn't provide actual details about what they are doing for you, but some other aspects of PPF to consider are:

Pre-cut or wrapped edges (wrapped is better, IMO)
What type of film (self-healing or not)

Reactions: Jarvisd1015
Thanks, golfleep. I didn't think about turning off sentry mode. The same place did a co-workers M3 window tint so I assume they'll know what to do on their end (though I'll be keeping an eye on the app to make sure they don't go cruising around).

My thinking as to the front bumper is that it adds a lot to the cost and I am mostly concerned about the metal surfaces. I realize the paint on the rubber bumper can chip, but the bumper is usually more rock tolerant then the hood. I'm not trying to keep the car 100% perfect, I know it's gonna get a few bruises over time.

Hmmm, I didn't get into any discussions about the type of film being used. I'll ask about that when I drop it off.

I agree with golfleep above and would probably want a shop that has experience in wrapping Model 3s....

Did you ask the shop how they handle the edges ? Are they fully wrapped ? Pre-cut / template or custom pieces ? Did you have a chance to see any PPF installs the shop has installed ?

Just a clarification - if the PPF is pre-cut (my xpel installer said they precut them), then does it mean that it's not going to wrapped on the edges? I saw them demo a hood install and there was about half an inch beyond the edges that they said they wrap over...

I agree with golfleep above and would probably want a shop that has experience in wrapping Model 3s....

Did you ask the shop how they handle the edges ? Are they fully wrapped ? Pre-cut / template or custom pieces ? Did you have a chance to see any PPF installs the shop has installed ?

Thanks again, I will ask them some more questions. They did window tint on a co-workers M3. I'm not sure if it's the same person (but things like disabling PIN and Sentry are things I need to remember to do).

The place has been around a long time. They did a Corvette for me a ways back.

So I assume it's better if it's wrapped around the edges?

So I assume it's better if it's wrapped around the edges?

I personally think it's better if the edges are wrapped. The exposed edges of PPF can catch all kinds of dust and dirt, as well as paint correction products if you are not careful. The installer that did my NSX didn't fully wrap the wing mirror cover and the exposed edge lifted in a small section. Now dirt is trapped underneath it. I'm going to remove it and wrap it myself.

The PPF on my NSX was installed years ago. The installer said he no longer will install with exposed edges. He told me they are now discovering a distinct line on the paint when not fully wrapped PPF is removed. He said the cause is most likely the trapped dirt on the edge of the PPF etching into the paint.

Just a clarification - if the PPF is pre-cut (my xpel installer said they precut them), then does it mean that it's not going to wrapped on the edges? I saw them demo a hood install and there was about half an inch beyond the edges that they said they wrap over...

I would definitely ask your installer how they are going to handle the edges. My previous cars that were wrapped with pre-cut PPF pieces (cut from a computer template) had exposed edges - about a mm or so from the edge.

Your installer probably means they pre-cut the pieces oversize, so they have material left over to wrap the edges ?? In either case, I would ask, just to clarify..

I would definitely ask your installer how they are going to handle the edges. My previous cars that were wrapped with pre-cut PPF pieces (cut from a computer template) had exposed edges - about a mm or so from the edge.

Your installer probably means they pre-cut the pieces oversize, so they have material left over to wrap the edges ?? In either case, I would ask, just to clarify..

Absolutely, I will ask. Thank you for the advise.

my installer told me the earlier templates didn't wrap. i have xpel. the current template should wrap. if your installer tells you otherwise, go somewhere else. my previous car had exposed edges and that's where all the dirt, wax and debris happen. my paint was pristine, but the edges were wrecked.

Reactions: lottadot