Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove 18 miles today, took 32 miles of range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made these 4 changes (that seem counter-intuitive) and now get rated range or better:
1) Set acceleration to the fastest setting (not Chill mode)
2) Set Range Mode (...okay, this one makes sense)
3) Turn A/C temp DOWN (start w/5 degrees lower, but not all the way to LO)
4) Turn the fan DOWN (slower)

Basically, you want to run the fan at the slowest speed possible while staying comfortable.

I never really saw difference with range mode on .. my settings, ludicrous on .. temp ~68 ..than I just drive;).. only thing that kills battery for me is excessive speed or heater

Hypermiling an ICE is very different from hypermiling an EV. An EV is pretty easy, keep the speed low. Starts and stops aren't a big deal.

You killed a big portion at 75 mph. Look at the energy graphs to see what you are using. Go around 40 mph and you'll beat your EPA numbers but maybe even 100%

Hi Scottharr27,

Are there any seat heaters on (by accident)?

We don't see much of it here, this is not intended to be a smart a$$ question -
Do you drive with 2 feet? One on the accelerator and one on the brake...
This is more of an odd ICE behavior, but we never know...

Could one of your brakes be dragging?

How fast are you driving? Someone misinterpreted your 75 degrees as 75 MPH...

Shawn

Yes, I'm above above ~450 w/mile. Why??? What's normal?

No seat heaters.

Drive with one foot, barely ever breaking because I drive slow.

How could I check if my brakes are dragging?

City driving, ~30 mph. No fast acceleration or stopping.

Range mode on.

75 battery. Standard rims. Flat roads. Fan is barely on.

Yes, I'm above above ~450 w/mile. Why??? What's normal?

No seat heaters.

Drive with one foot, barely ever breaking because I drive slow.

How could I check if my brakes are dragging?

City driving, ~30 mph. No fast acceleration or stopping.

Range mode on.

75 battery. Standard rims. Flat roads. Fan is barely on.

Driving 450 you are getting expected usage based on your original question ,.to get rated miles you need to be below 330 ..you can see this on your energy app where the line is that is what the rated range number should be

Reactions: forkee
How do I get below 330?

Regen is on/set to standard

The EPA rated range is measured by driving on a flat treadmill accelerating and decelerating at speeds up to about 55 mph. No Cargo, No AC, Room Temperature.

I'm not sure about Raven Vehicles, but I've found the only way to get anywhere close to the rated range is to drive downhill with lowest AC fan speed bearable.

For cold weather, the heater is going to completely kill your range. Not to mention the battery needs to heat up in order to perform optimally. An excellent cold weather trick is to use seat heaters and avoid the HVAC. Consumes significantly less power.