Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove a brand new loaner with a lot of differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my car in for service today and got an S85 loaner with 750 miles on it. My car is a 40 with upgraded stereo, pano roof and leather. The loaner had no pano roof, leather, standard sound, a center console and tech package with 19" Primacy tires. It was also fitted with the autopilot gear and parking sensors. With so many differences between an older vintage Model S and this one, I thought I'd share some of my impressions. So here goes...

First, the power was significantly better than my car, which is effectively a 60. I have driven the P85 a few times, and I'd say that is an equal leap over the S85 in terms of power. I know what most of you are thinking, "duh, of course there's more power", or maybe "I wonder if my car is ok in the parking lot". I'm here to tell you your car is probably in danger of being dinged at this very moment. The next thing I noticed was how much better the traction was on the loaner in the rain, even with 19" wheels. Maybe it's time to get some new tires for mine, which now resemble slicks.

Another immediate impression was the smell in the cabin, which smelled fresh. Not really new car smell, more like rear-view-mirror-christmas-tree-hanger fresh. I later found this to be due to the built in ionizer function. This reassured me that someone had not left a bag of Bath and Body Works products in the frunk, so I didn't look in there and kept driving.

As I said before, this loaner was equipped with a center console, in matching piano black. Presumably because some people are afraid of horizontal or woven patterns on their dash. The center console added a great deal of functionality, such as two cup holders that were adjustable, and a fixed lightning port where you can prop up your iphone and charge. The cup holders are sure to please a certain segment of this board (sorry, I never checked the sun visors).

Admittedly, I have not kept abreast of all the option combination changes of late. But I was saddened to see that standard leather no longer applies to the door cards or the arm rests, or the horn area of the steering wheel. The dashboard stitching and defroster vents were different as well. But the most annoying change for me was the new normalized steering wheel stalks. Gone are the days where your turn signal is on the bottom left. It even had one of those horrible blanks on it, like you would see on a car that didn't get all the options. Or basically any Mercedes that doesn't start with S. Don't you just want to know what might have been in that button's slot??? This car also lacked the premium interior lighting, which is basically like what we thought would happen after Y2K.

I never figured out how to operate the autopilot, presumably because it has not yet been activated over the air. I'm sure it's a great feature though. The parking sensors, something I have never wanted or needed in my life, are now mandatory in the future. The Navigation was also a huge improvement over my base Google Maps situation. Lane departure and speed warning signs in the dash were not really important enough to comment on.

Finally, the sound system. When I ordered my car I had never heard either system, but if I had there is no way I would ever choose the standard system. Turning it up to 11 is like a 6 on the sound studio setup, but with zero bass or depth of sound. Worth the extra money if you don't feel comfortable going aftermarket.

In conclusion, there are some really great options out there for the Model S, and there are many standard features from the olden days that are now options. Options that are probably worth the extra money, even if it means little Billy has to go to UCLA instead of Stanford.

Autopilot is not active as you mentioned so there is no way to activate it at this time. Standard sound is okay (much better than I initially expected), but it does annoy me that I have to turn it up to 8 or 9 to hear music while on the freeway.

I also did not know the ionizer emits any smells. will have to test on my car :wink:

I drove a S85 loaner as well. The brakes were much more responsive. There wasn't any slop when you depress the pedal. The sun visors were much nicer. I measured them to be 4.25" in the middle and 4.5" by the rear mirror. My 2012 visors measured 3.75".

Adam wants to buy your car.

It actually crossed my mind to sell it because I'm obsessed with car shopping, but there's nothing I'd rather have, so it has to stay.

- - - Updated - - -

As UCLA class of '07, I am highly offended by your comment sir. Especially after I had to sabotage my Stanford application because I was afraid my dad was going to make me go there if I got in.

I don't have a horse in that race, I went to ASU!

I too like some of the touches the earlier generation of cars had. Not only the leather on the doors and other surfaces, but little things like the chrome accents you see when you open up the Frunk and rear hatch. Also gone is the Lacewood wood trim. I can not count the number of people who have said it is absolutely beautiful. Our car was manufactured in January 2013.

I too like some of the touches the earlier generation of cars had. Not only the leather on the doors and other surfaces, but little things like the chrome accents you see when you open up the Frunk and rear hatch. Also gone is the Lacewood wood trim. I can not count the number of people who have said it is absolutely beautiful. Our car was manufactured in January 2013.

You can buy the chrome accents on the accessories site. I don't think it's worth the $200 price though.
Tesla Gear Shop Chrome Trim Inserts

I drove a S85 loaner as well. The brakes were much more responsive. There wasn't any slop when you depress the pedal. The sun visors were much nicer. I measured them to be 4.25" in the middle and 4.5" by the rear mirror. My 2012 visors measured 3.75".

Drove a 100 mile fresh loaner with the responsive brakes. Part of that responsiveness is due to higher pedal height I've concluded. And the visors are now 'normal'. 300 miles of super fun!
--

The chrome accents you refer to were discontinued very early, I think possibly in late 2012 (?). My understanding is the Lacewood trim (which I have in my S) was discontinued because Tesla could not get it supplied with a consistent appearance.

I also have the lacewood trim. When I went to a specialty wood supplier to try and make a yacht floor, theirs looked nothing like mine, color or texture. In fact he didn't really believe it was lacewood in the car. So I'm not surprised Tesla would have problems getting it consistent.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about that - Bear Down

I have that coming for the next 11 months... On the plus side I had the rare opportunity to root for Oregon last week :)

I also have the lacewood trim. When I went to a specialty wood supplier to try and make a yacht floor, theirs looked nothing like mine, color or texture. In fact he didn't really believe it was lacewood in the car. So I'm not surprised Tesla would have problems getting it consistent.

- - - Updated - - -

I have that coming for the next 11 months... On the plus side I had the rare opportunity to root for Oregon last week :)

Yeah that Oregon game was ugly - on to Basketball