Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't remember this. Thanks. So instead of inventing a new and futuristic bad idea, they've resurrected an old and largely abandoned bad idea. :confused:

Not really, these are a type of handle that is common in Aston Martins. It's not either a new thing nor a thing of the past.
As already said the main purpose is to be more aerodynamic than traditional handles but, at the same time, not as complex as S and X handles.

Not really, these are a type of handle that is common in Aston Martins. It's not either a new thing nor a thing of the past.
As already said the main purpose is to be more aerodynamic than traditional handles but, at the same time, not as complex as S and X handles.
Also Jaguar uses this style on the F-Type. Not sure why people find this so difficult to use. Plus it achieves the same aero benefits that the S handles do without the complicated auto-presenting.

If I didn't already have a great electric car I'd buy the Model 3 in a heartbeat, but my decision is whether or not to switch from the Roadster to the 3, because I don't have parking for both, and still keep the Prius, which I need for my summer hiking trip to Canada until they install superchargers on the secondary roads I take getting there.

Perhaps the length of your hiking trip makes renting a vehicle prohibitively expensive, but I should think that keeping the Prius around for a single activity, once a year, not a particularly good use of your limited parking.

P.S. The door handles are another poor design: You press on the front of the handle with your thumb to pivot the back of the handle outwards, so you can grab it and open the door. This requires your whole hand. On the Prius, you can touch the inside of the handle with a finger, and open it in the same motion. On the Roadster, you press the bar inside the handle and open the door in the same motion. Most cars, you pull out on the handle to open the door. This is the first I've seen that requires two contrary motions to open the door: Press with your thumb, then grab with your hand and pull out.

The overall "spaceship" motif makes everything more awkward.
Either you misspoke or you have it backwards. You push on the back (not front) of the handle with thumb and the front (not back) of the handle pivots out. As it pivots out, wrap your fingers around that part and pull out. Seems intuitive enough to me and should be seamless motion. Watch (if you haven't) the M3OC video and the video from Doug Demuro as pretty sure they both demonstrate.

Acceleration is not as good as my Roadster, but it's reasonably zippy, and much better than my Prius or any of the small cars I've rented while traveling.

That's a huge spectrum of comparison there. Not as fast as Roadster but much better than Prius? I think all of us know and expect that it's faster than a Prius. Just curious, when you say not as fast as the Roadster, how close would you say it is to the Roadster though? I have a MS 70 (RWD model) and from the specs stated, I assume the same, that it will be fairly close to my MS but just slightly slower.

I give them a pass since the design has an aero friction reduction aspect for one,
and flush handles just look cool.

So driving at 75 mph on the highway these handles might save one or two kWh per hundred miles of driving? Not worth it. And this is just me, but I much prefer utility over style. I don't care what the car looks like. The Roadster is beautiful. The Zap Xebra was ugly, and I loved it. You could engrave gargoyles on the door handles and I wouldn't care, as long as they were easy to use.

Perhaps the length of your hiking trip makes renting a vehicle prohibitively expensive, but I should think that keeping the Prius around for a single activity, once a year, not a particularly good use of your limited parking.

If I had any other way of getting to my hiking locations, I'd get rid of the Prius. But those six weeks of summer are the highlight of my year and my favorite activity in my favorite places. And it's not just getting there and back. I typically visit three different locations, so I have to drive between them. And though I will sorely miss the Roadster, I really have no reason to have two BEVs. If I really still want to be driving the Roadster, I shouldn't get the Model 3. But I want the safety. So, if I get the 3, which I probably will, the Roadster will have to go. I know my reasoning is a bit inconsistent, but that's how it is. The bigger question for me is: Do I get the 3 as soon as I can (present Tesla estimate is Feb - April) or do I wait for Performance AWD?

Either you misspoke or you have it backwards. You push on the back (not front) of the handle with thumb and the front (not back) of the handle pivots out. As it pivots out, wrap your fingers around that part and pull out. Seems intuitive enough to me and should be seamless motion. Watch (if you haven't) the M3OC video and the video from Doug Demuro as pretty sure they both demonstrate.

I was referring to the front and back of the car. With my right hand on the driver's door I'd press with my thumb and grab with my fingers. I actually found it a bit awkward. I'll get used to it. But a passenger who has not been in the car before likely would find it awkward as well.

ETA: Oh, you're right! I did have it backwards. I misremembered. My basic point is the same: It's awkward! It actually would have been a bit easier with the press-buldge in the front, since I'm right handed..

Ever try removing the ice that accumulates between the handle and the door in a regular car ?

Back in rural North Dakota I had no garage. I parked my Honda Civic, and before that the P.O.S. Jeep, out of doors next to my house. Scraping the ice off the windshield I cussed a blue streak. I never had ice accumulate behind a door handle during those nearly 20 years. Admittedly, I never parked on a city street with snowplows going by.

That's a huge spectrum of comparison there. Not as fast as Roadster but much better than Prius? I think all of us know and expect that it's faster than a Prius. Just curious, when you say not as fast as the Roadster, how close would you say it is to the Roadster though? I have a MS 70 (RWD model) and from the specs stated, I assume the same, that it will be fairly close to my MS but just slightly slower.

I did say that my friend is familiar with the Model S and said the acceleration is very similar to the basic Model S. The best I can do in my own words is say that it was pretty zippy but nowhere near the Roadster. I'm just giving my subjective impression. I believe the published figure is 0 to 60 mph in 5.1 seconds.

My Prius is no slouch, however. Compared to the Honda Civic I had before that, the Prius is quick. ;) And the Model 3 is much quicker. :)

• Informative
Reactions: JohnSnowNW

I think you misunderstand him. I think he means "front", the side of the handle facing the person and "back", the side of the handle facing the door.

If I had any other way of getting to my hiking locations, I'd get rid of the Prius. But those six weeks of summer are the highlight of my year and my favorite activity in my favorite places. And it's not just getting there and back. I typically visit three different locations, so I have to drive between them. And though I will sorely miss the Roadster, I really have no reason to have two BEVs. If I really still want to be driving the Roadster, I shouldn't get the Model 3. But I want the safety. So, if I get the 3, which I probably will, the Roadster will have to go. I know my reasoning is a bit inconsistent, but that's how it is. The bigger question for me is: Do I get the 3 as soon as I can (present Tesla estimate is Feb - April) or do I wait for Performance AWD?

Well, buy what you think works best for you.

We're actually reconsidering options on the 3, since getting the MX. We were originally going to go with a P model, but now just considering AWD, EAP and PUP...the SR battery will suit our needs just fine. Our Leaf lease isn't up until March 2019, so we're in no rush.

Afterwards, as we stood by the car talking, it kept locking and unlocking itself because we were just at that distance where it could not decide. I prefer the way my Prius does it: You have to touch the door handle for it to unlock, and you press a button to lock it, all providing the fob is nearby.

I feel like this constant locking/unlocking issue that I've heard about now is going to continue to be a weird quirk until Tesla can figure out a software fix for it.
How do most other cars with this sort of system do it? Do you need to touch the handle for it to unlock or will they also do the lock/unlock thing if you're at the right range?

I was referring to the front and back of the car. With my right hand on the driver's door I'd press with my thumb and grab with my fingers. I actually found it a bit awkward. I'll get used to it. But a passenger who has not been in the car before likely would find it awkward as well.

ETA: Oh, you're right! I did have it backwards. I misremembered. My basic point is the same: It's awkward! It actually would have been a bit easier with the press-buldge in the front, since I'm right handed..
Well, using your right hand to open the driver door I could see being awkward. You really need to use your left hand on the driver door and use your right hand for the passenger door (assuming a left hand drive car). I'm left-handed so maybe that is why it is more intuitive to me.

Cue the outcry that Tesla is forcing people to be ambidextrous :p

• Funny
Reactions: JRP3
So driving at 75 mph on the highway these handles might save one or two kWh per hundred miles of driving? Not worth it.
Let me remind you of the Prius: 1000 small improvements added up to a very efficient car. You can bet that someone, somewhere, found every one one of those improvements 'not worth it.'

Last edited:
Sounds rational to me.