Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove and then leased an Audi e-Tron

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D

Doc Brown

So . . . we've been wanting to go EV for more than 18 months now - and have been waiting to see if any additional EV options were going to hit the streets.

After two failed attempts in purchasing an MX (Tesla sold the first out from under me and then simply dropped the second) and a MY order then cancel after waiting sooooo long for a car - we finally came back to Tesla the past couple of weekends to drive a MY and possibly order one. Because of the popularity of the MY - test drives are limited to 15 minutes or so each at our only reasonably close Tesla showroom. Prior to all of this - a year or so ago - I had an MX for an "overnight" test drive - so we've spent a good deal of time in a Tesla.

Just for kicks - we also went and drove the Kia Niro EV, the Hyundai Kona EV, and the Chevy Bolt. They all seemed quite inferior to the MY - although we did like the range and features in the Kona. Then - we figured we would check out the Audi (even though we don't consider ourselves "Audi people."). The Audi dealership is just across the street from the Tesla showroom (Rocklin). I told the boss that we should just go look at it to close the loop on EVs - before we decide whether and which car to buy. Off to the Audi Quattro e-Tron's on the lot.

We were instantly impressed with the build of the car and the interior finishes. It is an Audi inside and out. The seat comfort and feel inside is amazing. So - we figured we'd take it for a test drive - and wow. We opted for the Sportback. Aside from it being an EV - it rides amazing. Adjustable suspension and steering (sport, dynamic, comfort, etc) were great - the ride was amazingly quiet - and the car handled amazing. So - we ended up getting it. Opted for a lease so we could hand it back in three years if we wanted something different. With available rebates, we got it for around $18K below MSRP. So - mid-$50K-ish.

Now - I completely agree the Tesla is wayyyyy better from a range and technology perspective. No doubt. We only have 220mi range, no OTA updates, no FSD, no autosteer. The acceleration isn't as quick in the Audi and it's heavier (built on an existing ICE platform). The MyAudi app is a bit clunky and only free for a limited time. But - the ride in the Audi is sooooo much better than the MY or MX (to us) and the creature comforts made this car the winner over the MY or MX for us. The dealer experience is good - free loaners when the car is being serviced - and a few other Audi perks (free Silvercar rentals, etc). The boss only drives a few miles to work each day - so range really isn't an issue for us (we've got my ICE truck for that).

We are still mulling over getting a MY or MX when we sell our truck (F-150) - but the Audi really won the day for us comparing everything we drove. not popular to say on a Tesla forum - but hey . . . . I'm sure there is plenty of criticism of the e-Tron - but it's in the garage now.

The EV future is bright - we are really looking forward to what other EV builders come out with in the future.

Audi.png

I test drove an eTron a while back. Was glad to get back into my Model S.

Sure is odd that you had such a difficult time trying to get a Tesla. It literally could not have been easier for me. And I even live in an Anti Tesla state. Perhaps the Chicago service center is better.

I test drove an eTron a while back. Was glad to get back into my Model S.

Sure is odd that you had such a difficult time trying to get a Tesla. It literally could not have been easier for me. And I even live in an Anti Tesla state. Perhaps the Chicago service center is better.

OP lives in northern CA where Tesla are the new Prius/BMW and everybody wants one.

I live in the Bay Area, but when asked for a test drive (MY, Palo Alto) and told them the 30 minutes or so they would give me would not be enough, I got an overnight no problem. Called at 4:30, picked up the car at 5:30PM until 10AM next morning. Free supercharging during. Drove it for about 150 miles and was able to get a much better feel than 30 minutes would have allowed. Just saying that not all Northern CA experiences are like that.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot and SO16
Congrats, glad you were able to find an EV that works for you. I think the lease idea is smart, my S was the first car I've ever leased but it seemed like things were changing quickly at the time I got it and I didn't want to be stuck with a lemon, or something that was obsolete before it was paid off. As it turned out I bought it when the lease was up, but leasing gives you some flexibility and peace of mind while the EV dust settles.

Reactions: Doc Brown
Happy for you. I think the Audi looks good, and it does get good reviews. The charging curve looks very good as well. I'm sure it's a great EV. I've always liked their design and had a tuned A4 Avant for a while so maybe I'm biased :)
It's our first Audi (actually first German car). Charging curve does look good - we shall see. For us (really for the boss) - the biggest deal was the drive (comfort) and feel of the interior. She just couldn't convince herself to like the interior or ride of the MX or MY. But we tried.

Is this is your first Audi? You're going to be disappointed on that free loaner. They might offer a rebate on an Uber or Lyft if you complain enough.
Really? I've never had an issue getting loaners or with the quality of the loaners I get, and they're usually offered, I've never had to complain or haggle to get one. The one time I had a hiccup was when they had no loaners on site, but in that instance they called a rental car company and had a rental delivered to me to use (the rental was admittedly lower end, but having a car at all when mine was in the shop was enough for me).

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
I called it. ;)

"It's our first Audi (actually first German car)."
@Doc Brown

Really? I've never had an issue getting loaners or with the quality of the loaners I get, and they're usually offered, I've never had to complain or haggle to get one. The one time I had a hiccup was when they had no loaners on site, but in that instance they called a rental car company and had a rental delivered to me to use (the rental was admittedly lower end, but having a car at all when mine was in the shop was enough for me).

I'd really like to hear the honeymoon is over. Please this is not a jab about not buying Tesla. We're planning on test driving an E-tron and taycan this spring. Did you ever own a tesla? I'm most interested in day to day ownership differences. E.g. OTA updates, mobile service etc.

I'm happy to have anyone go electric. The daughter saying she really likes the Mach e doesn't really bother me, it's a good thing.

Oh yea, I did met with our lawyers to make sure she gets nothing tesla related when we die. Stocks, car everything must be sold. Ungrateful little twit!

On the other hand our grand daughter loves everything telsa. Clearly a generation skipping thing!

• Funny
Reactions: Brando
I called it. ;)

"It's our first Audi (actually first German car)."
@Doc Brown
🤷🏼‍♂️ I don’t get the relevance. I know several people who putchased an Audi from the same dealer and they rave about the service. What’s your point? How’s Tesla service? Loaners?

I’m not brand loyal. In my 38 years of driving (damn I’m getting old) I’ve had more brands then there are ice cream flavors. I buy what works for me at the time - and don’t defend manufacturers just to defend my own buying decision. That’s why we leased. If it turns out to be a turd💩- we turn it in and move on.

In my opinion, Tesla has the best technology and battery (range) but they don’t make the best car. And they’re not "new" at it anymore. that said, I still might get a MY. Going to drive a Mach-E first just to see how it drives. C’est la vie.

I'd really like to hear the honeymoon is over. Please this is not a jab about not buying Tesla. We're planning on test driving an E-tron and taycan this spring. Did you ever own a tesla? I'm most interested in day to day ownership differences. E.g. OTA updates, mobile service etc.

I'm happy to have anyone go electric. The daughter saying she really likes the Mach e doesn't really bother me, it's a good thing.

Oh yea, I did met with our lawyers to make sure she gets nothing tesla related when we die. Stocks, car everything must be sold. Ungrateful little twit!

On the other hand our grand daughter loves everything telsa. Clearly a generation skipping thing!

I have not owned a Tesla yet. Had an MX for an overnight test drive and put down a deposit in Nov 2019. Here’s that experience: Thread 'Canceled my Model X order . . . .'
Canceled my Model X order . . . .

we were also early reservation holders of a MY ($2500 deposit) for the boss. We went to look at the cars that arrived at the Rocklin store (ours showed as arriving) and we were troubled by how bad some of the cars looked (early paint and body gap issues) - so she decided to cancel and wait to get an EV. Since then, we’ve driven almost every EV publicly available - and she picked the Audi. Some people are, apparently, personally offended by that.

I’m currently trying to schedule an overnight MY test drive for me - still might get one. My post isn’t anti-Tesla. Is pro-EV.

Reactions: MrBadger