Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove and then leased an Audi e-Tron

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So . . . we've been wanting to go EV for more than 18 months now - and have been waiting to see if any additional EV options were going to hit the streets.

After two failed attempts in purchasing an MX (Tesla sold the first out from under me and then simply dropped the second) and a MY order then cancel after waiting sooooo long for a car - we finally came back to Tesla the past couple of weekends to drive a MY and possibly order one. Because of the popularity of the MY - test drives are limited to 15 minutes or so each at our only reasonably close Tesla showroom. Prior to all of this - a year or so ago - I had an MX for an "overnight" test drive - so we've spent a good deal of time in a Tesla.

Just for kicks - we also went and drove the Kia Niro EV, the Hyundai Kona EV, and the Chevy Bolt. They all seemed quite inferior to the MY - although we did like the range and features in the Kona. Then - we figured we would check out the Audi (even though we don't consider ourselves "Audi people."). The Audi dealership is just across the street from the Tesla showroom (Rocklin). I told the boss that we should just go look at it to close the loop on EVs - before we decide whether and which car to buy. Off to the Audi Quattro e-Tron's on the lot.

We were instantly impressed with the build of the car and the interior finishes. It is an Audi inside and out. The seat comfort and feel inside is amazing. So - we figured we'd take it for a test drive - and wow. We opted for the Sportback. Aside from it being an EV - it rides amazing. Adjustable suspension and steering (sport, dynamic, comfort, etc) were great - the ride was amazingly quiet - and the car handled amazing. So - we ended up getting it. Opted for a lease so we could hand it back in three years if we wanted something different. With available rebates, we got it for around $18K below MSRP. So - mid-$50K-ish.

Now - I completely agree the Tesla is wayyyyy better from a range and technology perspective. No doubt. We only have 220mi range, no OTA updates, no FSD, no autosteer. The acceleration isn't as quick in the Audi and it's heavier (built on an existing ICE platform). The MyAudi app is a bit clunky and only free for a limited time. But - the ride in the Audi is sooooo much better than the MY or MX (to us) and the creature comforts made this car the winner over the MY or MX for us. The dealer experience is good - free loaners when the car is being serviced - and a few other Audi perks (free Silvercar rentals, etc). The boss only drives a few miles to work each day - so range really isn't an issue for us (we've got my ICE truck for that).

We are still mulling over getting a MY or MX when we sell our truck (F-150) - but the Audi really won the day for us comparing everything we drove. not popular to say on a Tesla forum - but hey . . . . I'm sure there is plenty of criticism of the e-Tron - but it's in the garage now.

The EV future is bright - we are really looking forward to what other EV builders come out with in the future.

View attachment 643039
How much haggling did you have to do to get $18k under MSRP? Was it a 2020 or 2021 model?

How much haggling did you have to do to get $18k under MSRP? Was it a 2020 or 2021 model?
2021 and really no haggling. Rejected their initial offer and they came back with the offer we accepted.

had to put up with the hard sales on aftermarket crap (I hate that) - but, other than that, process was fine.

Reactions: BlindPass
2021 and really no haggling. Rejected their initial offer and they came back with the offer we accepted.

had to put up with the hard sales on aftermarket crap (I hate that) - but, other than that, process was fine.
Nice. If you don't mind me asking, what trim level? My wife loves the Sportback and pricing like that might seal the deal. She wants the Premium plus or Prestige though, and the Plasma Blue with Okapi Brown interior, so unless I find one locally, not sure if I'll be able to get a deal like that.

Nice. If you don't mind me asking, what trim level? My wife loves the Sportback and pricing like that might seal the deal. She wants the Premium plus or Prestige though, and the Plasma Blue with Okapi Brown interior, so unless I find one locally, not sure if I'll be able to get a deal like that.
So - my wife opted for the Premium Sportback. She doesn’t even use cruise control - so lots of the features above premium she didn’t care for anyway. White with Pearl Beige interior, sycamore inlay (I think). Very nice inside. A couple other option packages - some sort of blackout option package (smoked alum wheels). The deal was only for cars on the lot.
7650C15A-5D01-44C2-BA8F-7D708256E88E.jpeg

Dare I say our eGolf was a better car than the 3. But it lacks everything else that is Tesla, and was basic transportation.

We tried to buy an etron, but I’m a d!ck and the dealer was an ass - very much preferred the Tesla model vs dealerships.

So - my wife opted for the Premium Sportback. She doesn’t even use cruise control - so lots of the features above premium she didn’t care for anyway. White with Pearl Beige interior, sycamore inlay (I think). Very nice inside. A couple other option packages - some sort of blackout option package (smoked alum wheels). The deal was only for cars on the lot.View attachment 643622

Nice Car...for Mid $50k that is a great deal...did you get the federal rebate on that as well? Unfortunately I can't find them around here for that price...There is one white sportback locally but they want $75,000. For $55,000 plus the federal rebate I would be all over it.

Nice Car...for Mid $50k that is a great deal...did you get the federal rebate on that as well? Unfortunately I can't find them around here for that price...There is one white sportback locally but they want $75,000. For $55,000 plus the federal rebate I would be all over it.
The discount included the fed rebate because it was a lease. In my original post - I said the $18K off was with all rebates. Still a great deal, in my opinion. Lease buyout in three years is $36K (50% of MSRP).

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa

So - my wife opted for the Premium Sportback. She doesn’t even use cruise control - so lots of the features above premium she didn’t care for anyway. White with Pearl Beige interior, sycamore inlay (I think). Very nice inside. A couple other option packages - some sort of blackout option package (smoked alum wheels). The deal was only for cars on the lot.View attachment 643622
Looks really nice. We like the black optic package as well. I think you got a pretty good deal!

Reactions: Doc Brown
OP lives in northern CA where Tesla are the new Prius/BMW and everybody wants one.
I live in the Bay Area, received delivery of my MY 3 days after I ordered. A friend of mine (who go convinced to get it after trying mine) ordered his MY on 3/1 and is receiving it on Saturday (3/13). If anything, I would think that being close to Fremont would be an advantage. Not sure why it would take so long to get their car.

Anyways, great looking car, and it sounds like at a great price! I might have been convinced to get it too at that price. I looked the e-tron early 2020, I've always liked the way Audis look on the outside, but I'm not a fan of the interior. Too much stuff going on. I'm way more of a minimalist, so Tesla fits me better. More EVs on the road is a positive, competition is always (or 99% of the time) a good thing for customers.

I look forward to hearing the feedback after a few weeks/months to see if you still feel the same!

The discount included the fed rebate because it was a lease. In my original post - I said the $18K off was with all rebates. Still a great deal, in my opinion. Lease buyout in three years is $36K (50% of MSRP).

definitely a great deal. Just wasn’t sure if you included the fed rebate. Great deal either way. Unfortunately I don’t see my local dealer willing to come close to that price.

good looking car though. Keep us posted on how you like it.

It's disappointing to hear of the let downs you experienced trying to get a Model X, Telsa is certainly earning its fair share of criticisms as they suffer growing pains. Not just with pre-purchases, but with post purchase service as well. I blame 90% of Telsa's weakness on the lack of adequate staffing and proper management of it's showrooms/service centers. Hopefully your long term experience with Audi and the e-tron will continue to be as positive as your buying experience.

My first EV experience was driving the iPace at a car show before it went into production and that was all it took to get me hooked.
I love my Model Y and cant wait until I am able to trade it in for the Cybertruck, but I am also enjoying watching the other EV's mature.

CONGRATS on joining the EV community!

So . . . we've been wanting to go EV for more than 18 months now - and have been waiting to see if any additional EV options were going to hit the streets.

After two failed attempts in purchasing an MX (Tesla sold the first out from under me and then simply dropped the second) and a MY order then cancel after waiting sooooo long for a car - we finally came back to Tesla the past couple of weekends to drive a MY and possibly order one. Because of the popularity of the MY - test drives are limited to 15 minutes or so each at our only reasonably close Tesla showroom. Prior to all of this - a year or so ago - I had an MX for an "overnight" test drive - so we've spent a good deal of time in a Tesla.

Just for kicks - we also went and drove the Kia Niro EV, the Hyundai Kona EV, and the Chevy Bolt. They all seemed quite inferior to the MY - although we did like the range and features in the Kona. Then - we figured we would check out the Audi (even though we don't consider ourselves "Audi people."). The Audi dealership is just across the street from the Tesla showroom (Rocklin). I told the boss that we should just go look at it to close the loop on EVs - before we decide whether and which car to buy. Off to the Audi Quattro e-Tron's on the lot.

We were instantly impressed with the build of the car and the interior finishes. It is an Audi inside and out. The seat comfort and feel inside is amazing. So - we figured we'd take it for a test drive - and wow. We opted for the Sportback. Aside from it being an EV - it rides amazing. Adjustable suspension and steering (sport, dynamic, comfort, etc) were great - the ride was amazingly quiet - and the car handled amazing. So - we ended up getting it. Opted for a lease so we could hand it back in three years if we wanted something different. With available rebates, we got it for around $18K below MSRP. So - mid-$50K-ish.

Now - I completely agree the Tesla is wayyyyy better from a range and technology perspective. No doubt. We only have 220mi range, no OTA updates, no FSD, no autosteer. The acceleration isn't as quick in the Audi and it's heavier (built on an existing ICE platform). The MyAudi app is a bit clunky and only free for a limited time. But - the ride in the Audi is sooooo much better than the MY or MX (to us) and the creature comforts made this car the winner over the MY or MX for us. The dealer experience is good - free loaners when the car is being serviced - and a few other Audi perks (free Silvercar rentals, etc). The boss only drives a few miles to work each day - so range really isn't an issue for us (we've got my ICE truck for that).

We are still mulling over getting a MY or MX when we sell our truck (F-150) - but the Audi really won the day for us comparing everything we drove. not popular to say on a Tesla forum - but hey . . . . I'm sure there is plenty of criticism of the e-Tron - but it's in the garage now.

The EV future is bright - we are really looking forward to what other EV builders come out with in the future.

View attachment 643039
congrats..but those to me are ugly. Inside is well donr for sure but the whole look is very lexus looking which i hate. now the etron rs and gt are way better looking as is the porsche. I think tesla needs to lower pricing alot to sell more cars overall and stay ahead of the game. Maybe tesla started as an elite car but with the 3 and y and even x they seem to appeal to less elite rich people as i see the 3 and y EVERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYWHERE NOW in colorado...more the the s and x.

congrats..but those to me are ugly. Inside is well donr for sure but the whole look is very lexus looking which i hate. now the etron rs and gt are way better looking as is the porsche. I think tesla needs to lower pricing alot to sell more cars overall and stay ahead of the game. Maybe tesla started as an elite car but with the 3 and y and even x they seem to appeal to less elite rich people as i see the 3 and y EVERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYWHERE NOW in colorado...more the the s and x.
That’s awesome you think they’re ugly and that you hate it.

I equate the model 3 to being the EV camry. the 3 is a solid car at a popular price point.
model S and model X sales are in the "toilet" and I wouldn't surprised if tesla pulls the plug on the X and then later the S as the company pivots their focus to the lower prices 3 and Y models.
and they'll get a pop in sales when the cybertruck goes on sale.

Reactions: BlindPass
I equate the model 3 to being the EV camry. the 3 is a solid car at a popular price point.
model S and model X sales are in the "toilet" and I wouldn't surprised if tesla pulls the plug on the X and then later the S as the company pivots their focus to the lower prices 3 and Y models.
and they'll get a pop in sales when the cybertruck goes on sale.
I think it’s a bit premature to say that the S/X sales are in the toilet. Especially after the refresh. Will know more in a year.

Reactions: rxlawdude
I think it’s a bit premature to say that the S/X sales are in the toilet. Especially after the refresh. Will know more in a year.
a year is a long time, S and X sales are nowhere near the levels of the 3 and Y

Tesla Q4 2020 Vehicle Production & Deliveries​

GLOBE NEWSWIRE
Jan 2, 2021
PALO ALTO, Calif., January 2, 2021 – In 2020, we produced and delivered half a million vehicles, in line with our most recent guidance. In addition, Model Y production in Shanghai has begun, with deliveries expected to begin shortly.

Q4 2020​

ProductionDeliveriesSubject to operating lease accounting
Model S/X16,09718,92011%
Model 3/Y163,660161,6507%
Total179,757180,5708%

2020​

ProductionDeliveries
Model S/X54,80557,039
Model 3/Y454,932442,511
Total509,737499,550

Thank you to all of our customers, employees, suppliers, shareholders and supporters who helped us achieve another great year.
Our net income and cash flow results will be announced along with the rest of our financial performance when we announce Q4 earnings. Our delivery count should be viewed as slightly conservative, as we only count a car as delivered if it is transferred to the customer and all paperwork is correct. Final numbers could vary by up to 0.5% or more. Tesla vehicle deliveries represent only one measure of the company’s financial performance and should not be relied on as an indicator of quarterly financial results, which depend on a variety of factors, including the cost of sales, foreign exchange movements and mix of directly leased vehicles.
Forward-Looking Statements
Statements herein regarding the timing of future vehicle deliveries are “forward-looking statements” based on management’s current expectations and that are subject to risks and uncertainties. Various important factors could cause actual results to differ materially, including the risks identified in our SEC filings. Tesla disclaims any obligation to update this information.
Investor Relations Contact:
[email protected]

a year is a long time, S and X sales are nowhere near the levels of the 3 and Y

Tesla Q4 2020 Vehicle Production & Deliveries​

GLOBE NEWSWIRE
Jan 2, 2021
PALO ALTO, Calif., January 2, 2021 – In 2020, we produced and delivered half a million vehicles, in line with our most recent guidance. In addition, Model Y production in Shanghai has begun, with deliveries expected to begin shortly.

Q4 2020​

ProductionDeliveriesSubject to operating lease accounting
Model S/X16,09718,92011%
Model 3/Y163,660161,6507%
Total179,757180,5708%

2020​

ProductionDeliveries
Model S/X54,80557,039
Model 3/Y454,932442,511
Total509,737499,550

Thank you to all of our customers, employees, suppliers, shareholders and supporters who helped us achieve another great year.
Our net income and cash flow results will be announced along with the rest of our financial performance when we announce Q4 earnings. Our delivery count should be viewed as slightly conservative, as we only count a car as delivered if it is transferred to the customer and all paperwork is correct. Final numbers could vary by up to 0.5% or more. Tesla vehicle deliveries represent only one measure of the company’s financial performance and should not be relied on as an indicator of quarterly financial results, which depend on a variety of factors, including the cost of sales, foreign exchange movements and mix of directly leased vehicles.
Forward-Looking Statements
Statements herein regarding the timing of future vehicle deliveries are “forward-looking statements” based on management’s current expectations and that are subject to risks and uncertainties. Various important factors could cause actual results to differ materially, including the risks identified in our SEC filings. Tesla disclaims any obligation to update this information.
Investor Relations Contact:
[email protected]

Well of course they are not anywhere near the 3/Y. And yes they have been dropping. Mainly because they removed their cheapest variant and people were waiting for an impending refresh. Now that the refresh is out, this will now be a true test.

Reactions: Lobstahz
Well of course they are not anywhere near the 3/Y. And yes they have been dropping. Mainly because they removed their cheapest variant and people were waiting for an impending refresh. Now that the refresh is out, this will now be a true test.
nowhere near? the S and X sales are almost 1/10 the sales of the 3 and Y. I stand by my opinion that the X will be the first to go.

This conversation doesn’t make much sense to me... Does Lexus sell the same number of each of their models? I don’t think so. Yet they have a full range of different models for people who have brand loyalty and want to switch from one model to the other. I know that Tesla isn’t your legacy automaker, but it wouldn’t make sense to me if they went back to only 2 models. Personally, I know that if my family grows and if my financial situation keeps improving (knocking on wood), I could see myself going with the X (from the Y) in a few years. If the X isn’t around, I’d probably just go look somewhere else.