Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove down to 0% ..still made it 3 miles to SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

P85_DA

Supporting Member
Apr 25, 2015
CA
Been driving teslas since 2013 and never have taken it below 2%, tonight stopped for dinner had 6% and figured no issues as SC was less than 5 miles away. Well needless to say while sitting for dinner for less than 1 1/2 hours my 6% went down to 0% …I don’t use sentry and never had seen that kind of “phantom drain” …decided to chance it and just drive the few miles to SC as was on local streets ..made it no issues ..back in the days not sure of urban myth or whatever but there was some speculation that when hit 0% there was some kinda buffer in there …well at least for me tonight there was lol
EBB187DC-4DAB-4A1D-A5C1-4A33FB200A9D.jpeg

Reactions: Harvey Danger
I had the same thing happen to me Nov 2019 while driving from FL to Sacramento. Stopped somewhere in I think Nevada, and it was at night and cold out, close to 35 degrees and there was snow out. We decided we should eat first before places close or it gets too late, so figured at 6% we'd be able to make it the 2 miles to the SC. Well after 30-45 minutes when we returned to the car, I think we were close to 1%. I think it has more to do with the battery doing some balancing, and in my case trying to keep the battery warm. All was off, and sentry doesn't work once you get close to 20%, so it wasn't that. I was also lucky to make it to the charger. Didn't use the heat on the way to the charger. ScanMyTesla shows a 5kw buffer. I am not sure if this is the hidden buffer or not.

Reactions: P85_DA
I actually drove to 0 or 1% a couple of times (2 to 5 rated miles) but each time I was going to a supercharger and lowered my power through limited acceleration input (yellow dashed to 20kW).

Each time it took 5 plus minutes to get the car to start charging beyond 3kw. Probably not ideal to deep discharge but Tesla makes great batteries.

Reactions: P85_DA and outdoors