Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove Model X today - what a car!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me it was getting a chance to drive an EV-1 one time as a "Test drive" Couldn't afford the lease at the time- but wanted one. Then the long wait until Nissan came out with the LEAF. I drove it once at a test drive event, went home and ordered one- got it then 3 years later I finally got to drive a Model S- Had to have one- got mine in 2014 - love it still- holding off driving an X because- you know- I will have to have one :) I think electric cars are addictive - once you sample it you have to have more- I have friend that has a Z06 and won't even ride in my Model S because he knows once he does, he'll have to get rid of the Z06 and get a Tesla.

With the Model 3 coming out- more and more people will get the bug and buy one- the tipping point is near.

Reactions: CotswoldS3X
I finally test drove a Model X today.

Oh my gosh WHAT A CAR! You drive it and then it's game over for all the other shitty cars we drive. Tesla is light years ahead of everyone else.

I was impressed more by regenerative breaking than the acceleration or autopilot maybe because I was expecting the latter two after watching lots of videos vs the former which you need to experience live. I loved the new hill mode when you press the break down and the auto-parking feature.

I was skeptical about the X size initially but I have to confess that driving around London was absolutely fine. Tesla is now coming to my place next weekend as my wife has to be on board and could not drive it today - she is the one in the family who drives the most during the week. I mean - tell me another car company that comes home with a car to arrange for a test drive?! I never heard of it

Oh gosh, I am in trouble now as I want this car so badly
I'm about to hire an X in London (I have an S in Sydney).
Bit nervous about the size (what she said), but seriously there are some weird bollards here (eg Hammersmith Bridge) where they pinch down to 6'6". I don't want to take the rental back with a full blown case of rim rash (also what she said).

Do you need the Falcon Wing doors - e.g. for loading kids into child seats in the rear? Or perhaps 3 rows of seats? Or just maybe the extra headroom? If not then an S should do the job. Cavernous carrying capacity, plus a bit more Miles-per-KW

that's the thing. They put my wife off. We have a 5 yrs old in Dec and 1 yr old in Nov. Wifey say we won't always have to put kids in the car. she is afraid of the size and against Chelsea tractor. She has not closed the door completely but I know her and I think I will be ordering a Model S next Saturday and perhaps it will be best thing anyway as I also feel Model X is not suited for Europe. If only they made it 20 cm less wide and long. Will start Model S for 4 yrs and then will see. I think we will love the Model S anyway especially if we move to Surrey and country roads. Will get sunroof so I can go camping with roof box

So here is the update.

Test drive done. Tesla guy was 30 mins late to our place but such a lovely bloke. He even came with us to pick up our eldest at school - classic opportunity to show case falcon wing door :)

My wife was such a good driver. She did a perfect parking and went to one of the narrowest street in the area. All went fine however we will probably end up ordering a Model S.

Model X is just not suited for England unless you live in areas without narrow streets (I don't know any). Autopark never worked in streets where cars are parked on both sides, however it worked like a charm in other situations and when it did it was a wow moment for wifey.

Wife was fair and said the car is amazing but I know she is not 100% comfortable. Tesla sales guys named the 75D 5 seater "The beast" following comments from my wife :)

he is coming back next Friday to let wifey test drive the Model S and we will then make a decision but I know it's gonna be an S and I will still be happy with that

Last edited:
Reactions: Terry_B58
I looked up the length / width as I had no idea how the models compared:

MX 198.3"L x 89.4"W (81.5") (Folded mirror width)
MS 196.0"L x 86.2"W (77.3")
M3 184.8"L x 82.2"W (76.3")

These are first figures out of Google, so may be other sized models available:

182.4" - 183.9"L x 71.3" - 73.9" BMW 3 series
181"L x 74.6" W Discovery
170.8" L x 71.1" W VW Golf

No wonder Wife prefers parking Golf in car parks than MS !!

• Informative
Reactions: CotswoldS3X