Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove the p100d, m3p, and the model y awd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It should say Dual Motor on the back underlined in red. The don't actually say "performance" or anything like that. The red brake calipers is a giveaway as well as the wheels which you mentioned not recalling.

my stealth performance has normal brakes. you only get the bigger brakes with 19 inch tires and above. (but a stealth only comes with 20 inch tires)

the stealth performance is a performance but lacks the cosmetic upgrades and has 18 inch tires with the smaller brakes. i dont think theres any difference in the suspension. certainly a prrformance 3 isnt lowered compared to a stealth

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
my stealth performance has normal brakes. you only get the bigger brakes with 19 inch tires and above. (but a stealth only comes with 20 inch tires)

the stealth performance is a performance but lacks the cosmetic upgrades and has 18 inch tires with the smaller brakes. i dont think theres any difference in the suspension. certainly a prrformance 3 isnt lowered compared to a stealth
There is about a 1 centimeter ride height difference between a performance Suspension which was part of the performance upgrade package and the stock suspension. I don't think the stealth model has the Performance Suspension but I could be wrong.

So I think in the end it depends on what particular virtues matter the most to you. If you want sporty driving and you don't want to spend a boatload of money the Model 3 is still the best value out there and has the best tuning options to make it even sportier. And it's decent at carrying people and other stuff with good space utilization even if it doesn't have the space of the Model Y. If you need more cargo and carrying capacity the Model Y is a great value...

Very much agree. I've had two model 3's, and bought a Y non-perf. There's a decent chance I'll trade the Y in for a perf 3. Part of it is the absolute awesome power of the 3, but really, if you enjoy the FEEL of a well handling car - the 3 just has a big leg up. I undervalued how much this means to me.

There is about a 1 centimeter ride height difference between a performance Suspension which was part of the performance upgrade package and the stock suspension. I don't think the stealth model has the Performance Suspension but I could be wrong.

ive seen this number thrown around a fair amount of times. The stealth in australia defo doesnt have the apparent suspension upgrade (we never recieved the AWD initially in Australia, we just had the performance AWD which could buy the optional performance package which gave you pedals,spoilers, wheels/brakes, suspension) however i park next to plenty of performance 3s and they have the same height as my car.
I also park next to plenty of SR cars and they also have the same height.

The only explanation I have is that Teslas tolerance are so high that theres easily an inch variance between any car.

Very much agree. I've had two model 3's, and bought a Y non-perf. There's a decent chance I'll trade the Y in for a perf 3. Part of it is the absolute awesome power of the 3, but really, if you enjoy the FEEL of a well handling car - the 3 just has a big leg up. I undervalued how much this means to me.

you and every other american. The horsepower wars have obviously begun a while ago in Europe too but in the 90s everyone loved their BMW performance cars with 250 horsepower which was deemed enough power for any car really until Merc started to follow suit with american horsepower numbers i.e. 400+. In europe the feeling was that a performance car needs to primarily handle very well not necessarily be quick off the line. That has filtered through to cars like the dodge challenger which, yes, accelerate very very very quickly at low and high speeds but just dont handle as nice as i.e. a BMW M4 - the difference is so stark that even amateurs can easily appreciate the difference.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
you and every other american. The horsepower wars have obviously begun a while ago in Europe too but in the 90s everyone loved their BMW performance cars with 250 horsepower which was deemed enough power for any car really until Merc started to follow suit with american horsepower numbers i.e. 400+. In europe the feeling was that a performance car needs to primarily handle very well not necessarily be quick off the line. That has filtered through to cars like the dodge challenger which, yes, accelerate very very very quickly at low and high speeds but just dont handle as nice as i.e. a BMW M4 - the difference is so stark that even amateurs can easily appreciate the difference.
And the Dodges are LOUD.

ive seen this number thrown around a fair amount of times. The stealth in australia defo doesnt have the apparent suspension upgrade (we never recieved the AWD initially in Australia, we just had the performance AWD which could buy the optional performance package which gave you pedals,spoilers, wheels/brakes, suspension) however i park next to plenty of performance 3s and they have the same height as my car.
I also park next to plenty of SR cars and they also have the same height.

The only explanation I have is that Teslas tolerance are so high that theres easily an inch variance between any car.

I'd be the last person to defend Tesla's quality control particularly in 2018, although it's significantly better now at least from my experience at the dealership yesterday. But an inch of variance is probably a stretch. I did measure my performance model against a friend's all wheel drive and there was some variation from side to side and front to back but on average was about a centimetre lower. Hard to be clear that this is a completely accurate probe unless your on a super level surface but we measured 13 mmeters, 9 mmeters, 11 mmeters and 8 mmeters. Rear was a little bit higher Compared to spec

It is interesting to see how the notion of what constitutes performance has really changed. I think candleflame makes a similar point in his earlier post. It used to be that performance was just explained by numbers and pretty much acceleration numbers only. But even in the 70s and 80s there was a growing appreciation that European cars that handled better were in fact more fun to drive. The evolution of the Corvette has been an interesting story in this regard. It used to be basically a numbers car. Even though it would generate pretty good numbers on the skid pad and of course impressive acceleration relative to other performance cars, it was not a lot of fun to drive didn't have great handling (or seats!) and dynamically was kind of clumsy. The C7 finally cemented the Corvette as a car with refinement. Not just great numbers but great dynamics. And they finally made it comfortable and a real driver's car. But I think it was either roadandtrack or car and driver that made the recent point that even a C8 compared to the latest iteration of the 911 still lacks a certain kind of refinement in its handling at or near the limit. I'd like to see what one of those two classic car magazines would say about a properly set up model 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I'd be the last person to defend Tesla's quality control particularly in 2018, although it's significantly better now at least from my experience at the dealership yesterday. But an inch of variance is probably a stretch. I did measure my performance model against a friend's all wheel drive and there was some variation from side to side and front to back but on average was about a centimetre lower. Hard to be clear that this is a completely accurate probe unless your on a super level surface but we measured 13 mmeters, 9 mmeters, 11 mmeters and 8 mmeters. Rear was a little bit higher Compared to spec

It is interesting to see how the notion of what constitutes performance has really changed. I think candleflame makes a similar point in his earlier post. It used to be that performance was just explained by numbers and pretty much acceleration numbers only. But even in the 70s and 80s there was a growing appreciation that European cars that handled better were in fact more fun to drive. The evolution of the Corvette has been an interesting story in this regard. It used to be basically a numbers car. Even though it would generate pretty good numbers on the skid pad and of course impressive acceleration relative to other performance cars, it was not a lot of fun to drive didn't have great handling (or seats!) and dynamically was kind of clumsy. The C7 finally cemented the Corvette as a car with refinement. Not just great numbers but great dynamics. And they finally made it comfortable and a real driver's car. But I think it was either roadandtrack or car and driver that made the recent point that even a C8 compared to the latest iteration of the 911 still lacks a certain kind of refinement in its handling at or near the limit. I'd like to see what one of those two classic car magazines would say about a properly set up model 3.

the real deal is when you drive a 80s or 90s m5 and then drive a 80s mustang. the 90s m5 is a joy to drive even by modern standards and does some things actually better (more connection to the road thanks to analogue technology). sit in an 80s mustang and it just feels unsafe by european standards.