Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dry Cleaner drive through (CRASH)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now, not the type of drive through that comes to mind.

I would have thought someone to post this by now. If it is hear I didn't see it. Posting in the Model 3 thread as this looks like a 3 crash, but correct me if I am wrong. Hope I didn't post in wrong area.

I get annoyed by the media that loves to jump on Tesla crashes. If this were a Honda, we probably wouldn't be hearing about it, but this story is all over the SF cay area media and even news sites in other states.

Fortunately, no one reported to be hurt, but lots of damage. Driver says doesn't know what happened. I guess this makes a good case for getting higher insurance limits (or umbrella policy).

https://seattle.cbslocal.com/video/4081159-tesla-smashes-through-lafayette-dry-cleaners/

It's a Model 3 as you can tell from the upturned door handles when they showed a side view of the car into the building. I was watching CBS here in the SF Bay Area when KPIX used it as their lead-in Noon news story. The guy was a customer too. Says the car accelerated but we know from all the research it was driver caused.

Here's a video posted to fb from inside the dry cleaners showing the car turning into the parking space, running up over the curb/sidewalk and into the shop. Also scenes of the car inside the shop. Thankfully no one was standing inside dropping off their cleaning but lots of damage as expected.

As you can see from the footage the car was still moving as he was turning into the space and then accelerated up and over and into. Doesn't look like he had straightened out the steering wheel either as the car kept turning to his left. Either his foot wasn't over the brake when he thought it was and still over accelerator pedal or maybe his brain registered lifting his foot off the accelerator to use regen to slow down and he realized he was still going too fast so instinctively pushed his foot downward thinking he was braking but actually he hadn't moved his foot over. Just goes to show you need to be mindful of driving and parking! all the time.

BTW Jodi Hernandez is with NBC Bay Area News. If you read the comment section for the video she said that "police say he just bought the car recently & was still getting use to it." Hope the car owner had good insurance. Wonder if he was new to regen braking. Looks like gray calipers on the front there...P3D-? Feel bad for the Model 3 owner and the shop owner too. Jodi also indicated that the shop owner had said there would have been someone at the shirt pressing area that morning except he was late for work. :eek: That was his lucky day.

Last edited:
It's a Model 3 as you can tell from the upturned door handles when they showed a side view of the car into the building. I was watching CBS here in the SF Bay Area when KPIX used it as their lead-in Noon news story. The guy was a customer too. Says the car accelerated but we know from all the research it was driver caused.

Here's a video posted to fb from inside the dry cleaners showing the car turning into the parking space, running up over the curb/sidewalk and into the shop. Also scenes of the car inside the shop. Thankfully no one was standing inside dropping off their cleaning but lots of damage as expected.

As you can see from the footage the car was still moving as he was turning into the space and then accelerated up and over and into. Doesn't look like he had straightened out the steering wheel either as the car kept turning to his left. Either his foot wasn't over the brake when he thought it was and still over accelerator pedal or maybe his brain registered lifting his foot off the accelerator to use regen to slow down and he realized he was still going too fast so instinctively pushed his foot downward thinking he was braking but actually he hadn't moved his foot over. Just goes to show you need to be mindful of driving and parking! all the time.

BTW Jodi Hernandez is with NBC Bay Area News. If you read the comment section for the video she said that "police say he just bought the car recently & was still getting use to it." Hope the car owner had good insurance. Wonder if he was new to regen braking. Looks like gray calipers on the front there...P3D-? Feel bad for the Model 3 owner and the shop owner too. Jodi also indicated that the shop owner had said there would have been someone at the shirt pressing area that morning except he was late for work. :eek: That was his lucky day.
Nice additional info SAM. Thanks.
Uh, just bought it and getting used to it.... Yup, sounds like driver might have gotten confused. I guess the dry cleaners can afford a better security camera now :D