Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dryer outlet to UMC pigtail.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone sell a plug to fit into this
cloths dryer receptacle(picture attached) . To connect to the mobile connector that comes with the MY?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200808-165055_Gallery.png
    Screenshot_20200808-165055_Gallery.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 216
Does anyone sell a plug to fit into this
cloths dryer receptacle(picture attached) . To connect to the mobile connector that comes with the MY?

The outlet in the photo is melted and so represents a clear hazard. You should have an electrician replace the outlet with a 6-50 and then you can buy the $35 plug from Tesla.

It shouldn't be too much work as both outlets require 3 wires.

Its not 100% simple as the 10-50 has no ground wire, but you can probably move the white wire from neutral to ground in the panel. If its connected to the main panel, it is probably the same as ground already, but I'm not an electrician.

The outlet in the photo is melted and so represents a clear hazard. You should have an electrician replace the outlet with a 6-50 and then you can buy the $35 plug from Tesla.

It shouldn't be too much work as both outlets require 3 wires.

Its not 100% simple as the 10-50 has no ground wire, but you can probably move the white wire from neutral to ground in the panel. If its connected to the main panel, it is probably the same as ground already, but I'm not an electrician.
Good catch.

I saw that it was a 10-50, but did notice the evidence of melting.

OP, please be sure that the electrician checks for burnt insulation on the wiring when he/she replaces the outlet. For that to have gotten hot enough to melt the plastic, there may have been damage to the wiring. Might want to check out the breaker as well.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Not sure why you think it is burnt /melted? The outlet was painted black and the insulation/wires are not burnt. I checked them myself before your comments.
I do really appreciate your thoughts..

If that is paint, then it is the paint which is melting. The surface is uneven with things pooling in one place, thin in another, peeling off and heavily scratched. I'd replace the outlet even if it is just another 10-50.

Given that it is a 10-50, it is probably 30+ years old, and its cheap to replace. There are people who buy new outlets and find that they melted due to Tesla usage.

https://www.amazon.com/Aweking-Listed-Receptacle-Industrial-Straight/dp/B07D5V2R9H

There's also one for $4 if you want that one. Compare the nice polished finish with the outlet you have.

If that is paint, then it is the paint which is melting. The surface is uneven with things pooling in one place, thin in another, peeling off and heavily scratched. I'd replace the outlet even if it is just another 10-50.

Given that it is a 10-50, it is probably 30+ years old, and its cheap to replace. There are people who buy new outlets and find that they melted due to Tesla usage.

https://www.amazon.com/Aweking-Listed-Receptacle-Industrial-Straight/dp/B07D5V2R9H

There's also one for $4 if you want that one. Compare the nice polished finish with the outlet you have.
Thanks for the heads up.. It is probably 40 years old and well used. It is not burnt but yes it should be replaced.
Thanks for your input,