Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DS not responding...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I just got off the phone with tesla 800 sales because my DS is not responding to my calls or emails, that was an interesting call... I told them I just noticed on the 2nd my 90D has a VIN and I had been told by my DS it would be August at the earliest before I would get my X and he said that sounds about right because they are only doing P90D's right now but he let me look at you order and see whats going on then he came back and said your right you do have a VIN he said it's the first 90D he's seen with a VIN. Then he said let me put you on hold again and check with my supervisor to see if its a mistake and he came back with a sense of urgency in his voice and said no it legit and it is going into production now. I said well I need 30 days to get my end together he said I can't give you exact timing or why this happened but I will contact your DS now and have them get in contact with you ASAP.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Well I just got off the phone with tesla 800 sales because my DS is not responding to my calls or emails, that was an interesting call... I told them I just noticed on the 2nd my 90D has a VIN and I had been told by my DS it would be August at the earliest before I would get my X and he said that sounds about right because they are only doing P90D's right now but he let me look at you order and see whats going on then he came back and said your right you do have a VIN he said it's the first 90D he's seen with a VIN. Then he said let me put you on hold again and check with my supervisor to see if its a mistake and he came back with a sense of urgency in his voice and said no it legit and it is going into production now. I said well I need 30 days to get my end together he said I can't give you exact timing or why this happened but I will contact your DS now and have them get in contact with you ASAP.
I can't imagine the "kind" words you have in store for that non-responsive DS!

@calix
Good and very productive call to tesla 800! Thanks for sharing the info :) it seems like we 90D who received VINs are really getting it soon. I need to start getting my end together as well. I am going to call Monday to tesla 800 to confirm my status.

My DS has been great. She says it is hard because the phone doesn't stop ringing with people wanting to know the status of their orders. It is preventing people who are about to take delivery from getting through. She says they have no more information than what the buyer sees on "My Tesla". Over the last three or four days the problem has gotten worse.

I have tried not to bug her knowing they are overwhelmed and try to use email for most questions. She usually responds to me the same day.

My DS has been great. She says it is hard because the phone doesn't stop ringing with people wanting to know the status of their orders. It is preventing people who are about to take delivery from getting through. She says they have no more information than what the buyer sees on "My Tesla". Over the last three or four days the problem has gotten worse.

I have tried not to bug her knowing they are overwhelmed and try to use email for most questions. She usually responds to me the same day.

Mine does not... So irritating

I would not rush out and fill out a loan application yet. While VINs are typically assigned 5 weeks before the car is built, the car can get stuck in QC for weeks. I got my VIN on 12/23 and am still awaiting delivery. Many others are in the same boat. I would caution you to wait. My car spent 6-7 weeks in QC and is only now getting on a transport for shipment to the QC. It's another 2-3 weeks before I'll get the car at The earliest. That makes approx 3-4 months from VIN assignment to delivery.

When you do take delivery they will try to shove an IPad in your face and get you to sign off quickly without looking at the car. Go over the car thoroughly before accepting delivery. Open the doors and run your hands over the gaskets both on the door and in the door frame (looking for detached, flopping loose gaskets). Open the frunk and make sure everything is flush and fits properly. Make sure all your floormats are installed. And turn off the lane departure warning before you leave the parking lot. It shakes the steering wheel and you'll think the car has a vibration problem. If you do find problems get them documented and part of the paperwork before taking the car. My car was in QC for a month after production as well. I wish I could say that's not a bad sign, but... I will say Tesla has fixed everything except a gasket in the door. They don't seem to want to touch that for some reason.

Forgot to mention - the reason you need to be careful BEFORE you take delivery is that the attitude is completely different after you have the car. Any problems you find the next day aren't a priority. They'll fix them when they have time. But if you find something before you accept delivery it gets fixed top priority so you'll accept delivery. You have a lot more leverage before you sign for the car.

Last edited:
I would not rush out and fill out a loan application yet. While VINs are typically assigned 5 weeks before the car is built, the car can get stuck in QC for weeks. I got my VIN on 12/23 and am still awaiting delivery. Many others are in the same boat. I would caution you to wait. My car spent 6-7 weeks in QC and is only now getting on a transport for shipment to the QC. It's another 2-3 weeks before I'll get the car at The earliest. That makes approx 3-4 months from VIN assignment to delivery.

Thank you! I will be taking your advice.

- - - Updated - - -

When you do take delivery they will try to shove an IPad in your face and get you to sign off quickly without looking at the car. Go over the car thoroughly before accepting delivery. Open the doors and run your hands over the gaskets both on the door and in the door frame (looking for detached, flopping loose gaskets). Open the frunk and make sure everything is flush and fits properly. Make sure all your floormats are installed. And turn off the lane departure warning before you leave the parking lot. It shakes the steering wheel and you'll think the car has a vibration problem. If you do find problems get them documented and part of the paperwork before taking the car. My car was in QC for a month after production as well. I wish I could say that's not a bad sign, but... I will say Tesla has fixed everything except a gasket in the door. They don't seem to want to touch that for some reason.

Forgot to mention - the reason you need to be careful BEFORE you take delivery is that the attitude is completely different after you have the car. Any problems you find the next day aren't a priority. They'll fix them when they have time. But if you find something before you accept delivery it gets fixed top priority so you'll accept delivery. You have a lot more leverage before you sign for the car.

Thank you I will be taking your advice too.

- - - Updated - - -

I know you will think I am crazy but I have never seen or driven the X. I was going to get a new Range Rover LWB but I like my new Tesla S so much I decide to go with the X.

Thank you - Great information to know. I shall make sure to do this when it's my day...

Question Regarding Floor Mats = Are there (2) floor mats in the front, (2) in the middle row & (2) in the third row? Is there a mat/liner for the trunk? Is there a mat/liner for the frunk?

Sorry I don't have an X (I wish! I sat in one and the seat was so comfortable compared to the S) so I can't answer the floor mats questions. Well my frunk and trunk don't have mats or liners, and I doubt the X does. But not sure.

Sorry I don't have an X (I wish! I sat in one and the seat was so comfortable compared to the S) so I can't answer the floor mats questions. Well my frunk and trunk don't have mats or liners, and I doubt the X does. But not sure.

My Sig X came with removable matching carpeted floor mats throughout. Liners are not yet available though the mfr Weathertech says "soon". Not sure if that is the same as Tesla "soon".:wink:

She says they have no more information than what the buyer sees on "My Tesla".

This is factually incorrect, to be polite. Your DS is not being truthful to you because she doesn't want to/can't give you more precise info. Your DS can see a LOT more than what you see on MyTesla, I know this from both my S and X experiences. That said, they are prohibited from telling you the exact production status of your car, I believe, but they can see it. This is one of the reasons some people know their car is "body in white", for example, others say their car is "in paint" and others say they just know it is "in production". It's super annoying as it relates to consistent communication, but it's the truth. It really depends on your DS as it relates to what info you will get.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
My DS is not responding either. My friend had the same experience at another service center. Not that having to deal with dealers would be more pleasant but it is hard to imagine that a sales person for any other car manufacturer would ignore their customers when buying 100k cars as SOP.

My DS is not responding either. My friend had the same experience at another service center. Not that having to deal with dealers would be more pleasant but it is hard to imagine that a sales person for any other car manufacturer would ignore their customers when buying 100k cars as SOP.

Agree 100%. I am sure someone will say how we need to be understanding because they are being crushed with business. I can think of several other car companies who would be more than happy to return our calls for a 100K + sale. But I will give them until Monday then I will request to have a different DS assigned to me. If that doesn't work I will go with Plan B... walk away from it all buy 2016 Range Rover LWB.