Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DU failures... Still a thing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't heard much about newer drive units failing lately.
Have the gremlins finally been exterminated in the later revisions or has the world just reached the acceptance stage of the grieving process?

The media can only blow one thing out of proportion at a time - this month it's autopilot. Drive unit hysteria may return at a future date if the FUD supply starts running low.

The media can only blow one thing out of proportion at a time - this month it's autopilot. Drive unit hysteria may return at a future date if the FUD supply starts running low.
I mean, I generally agree the media is untrustworthy, but it's hard to deny there were a disturbing number of drive unit replacements. I remember awhile back Subaru's STI had a piston ring land issue. In a handful of cases this required engine replacement. This caused mass hysteria among owners, and was nowhere near the scale of the number of Model S drivetrains replaced.

Lets ignore the media completely, though. The drive unit replacement thread has been pretty quiet for the past 6-12 months. That probably tells you all you need to know.

Yes, still an issue.
Mine rear broke yesterday night on my way home. Reduced speed for a turning car in front of me (full regen) and when he was out of the way, accellerated again. Pretty hard byt not full pedal, as I had another car aproaching from behind. Heard a big smashing sound coming from the rear, and grinding metallic sounds, and NO power at all. Was able to crawl home - 1 mile - and got picked up this morning.

The car had spilled about 1/2 liter of gearbox oil on the road. When I tried to drive it onto the roadside assistance truck, there were no power at all, and even in drive, the car drove backwards. I will assume that it is the differential that has broken, and that the gear has pushed a hole in the side of the DU. Now it has been transported to the service center in Copenhagen and will be fixed during my vacation.

Attachments

• IMG_3019.JPG
    IMG_3019.JPG
    701.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and srini
Yes, still an issue.
Mine rear broke yesterday night on my way home. Reduced speed for a turning car in front of me (full regen) and when he was out of the way, accellerated again. Pretty hard byt not full pedal, as I had another car aproaching from behind. Heard a big smashing sound coming from the rear, and grinding metallic sounds, and NO power at all. Was able to crawl home - 1 mile - and got picked up this morning.

The car had spilled about 1/2 liter of gearbox oil on the road. When I tried to drive it onto the roadside assistance truck, there were no power at all, and even in drive, the car drove backwards. I will assume that it is the differential that has broken, and that the gear has pushed a hole in the side of the DU. Now it has been transported to the service center in Copenhagen and will be fixed during my vacation.

What year? The one Bjorn just got is apparently rated for 1 million miles.

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna and srini