Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DU Replacement P85 wrong part number?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I have a P85+ (2014 pre-AP) that is in need of a DU replacement. Clearly has milling noise.

I scheduled an appointment with my SvC and they sent an email saying that parts had been ordered. Great because they knew exactly what the problem was and seems like they have no problem replacing the DU for me.

However, in the email it states that part number 1025276-00-Q was ordered, which is listed as "ASY,P-TRAIN,RMN,MLDS,BASE,CMC,HS,FA2+" which to me means that it's a base model s drive unit, and will be slower than a P85 unit.

When I messaged the service center, I got a reply saying "We have ordered the correct part for your vehicle based configurations."

I would be exceedingly disappointed if I got a base Model S DU in my Performance car.

Anyone else have this issue or any advice for me?

Thanks

There is no difference in S85 vs P85 drive unit. They are the same part.

In Model S speak there are large drive units and small drive units. All RWD cars have a large drive unit, “P” or not.

AWD non-P cars have two small drive units.

AWD “P” cars have a large rear drive unit and a small front drive unit.

At some point after the S switched over to AWD-only models they started calling the rear drive unit by the “sport” designation.

Lots of examples of others with P85s receiving the same part number you are as a replacement…

• Informative
Reactions: Yurand

In Model S speak there are large drive units and small drive units. All RWD cars have a large drive unit, “P” or not.

At some point after the S switched over to AWD-only models they started calling the rear drive unit by the “sport” designation.

Lots of examples of others with P85s receiving the same part number you are as a replacement…

Thanks for the reply.

In the thread you listed, almost everyone mentioned getting part number 1025598. There were a few mentions of 1002633, but none that I could find of 1025276.

I understand that the motor and gear reduction is the same for both S85 and P85, but the inverter is different. I'm just concerned that they'll put a base model inverter into my car, simply based on the part number that they've ordered. It's not like they're likely to take my inverter out and swap it onto the new DU.

For your reference, taken from epc.tesla.com parts catalog:
PartsCatalog.PNG

These are the two drive units listed for the Feb 2012 - Mar 2016 Model S.

Mine is a P85+. Service center ordered 1025276-00-Q and is telling me it's the right part. Everything I can find online is pointing me towards the fact that a P85 should be receiving part no. 1025598-00-T. The part description lines up with that.

Just another data point for you. The rear DU on my P85D was replaced with:
ASY,P-TRAIN,SPORT,MECH,COMPLETE,18.5 1 RTR (1002633-01-R)
Thank you. Everything I can find online says that 1002633-01 is the non-remanufactured version of the performance drive unit. In other words, a brand new performance DU.

Edit: 1002633-00 is the base model, 1002633-01 is the performance version. Both are part numbers for brand new drive units.

Thank you. Everything I can find online says that 1002633-01 is the non-remanufactured version of the performance drive unit. In other words, a brand new performance DU.

Edit: 1002633-00 is the base model, 1002633-01 is the performance version. Both are part numbers for brand new drive units.
Yep. I specifically asked my SC that as the description was devoid of “RMN” or “REMAN” and they confirmed it was new, so I was ecstatic.

Reactions: c_t_monkey
Alright, awesome, thanks for clarifying that for me. I guess I just need to bug my service center more. The latest message I got is one saying that according to internal literature, 1025598-00-T is only applicable to post April 2019 built cars. That just doesn't sound right to me. Especially considering that everyone in the post linked above got 1025598-00-*, all of which were pre-2019 cars...

Reactions: rickyjb
OK it looks like they're walking it back. Just going to take a while due to part availability. I'll update here with what happens but I think it's been sorted out.

Just goes to show you gotta stay on your toes. I have a feeling if I hadn't said anything, they'd have gladly just installed the base model DU.
Nice! And people accuse “us” of being overly OCD with our cars. Details matter and yes, other people would’ve just walked away with a std DU, happy for the warranty replacement.

No physical difference yes, but not at all interchangeable. Sport LDU’s have a different hardware ID and will fail firmware if installed in the wrong car.

How long did you have to wait for your part order? I need a new drive unit for my P85+ which suddenly refused to stay in gear so is completely inoperable. I’ve been getting that “pending” parts email for 2 weeks now. My service center also ordered 1002633-01-T.

How long did you have to wait for your part order? I need a new drive unit for my P85+ which suddenly refused to stay in gear so is completely inoperable. I’ve been getting that “pending” parts email for 2 weeks now. My service center also ordered 1002633-01-T.
That part number is a new DU vs. the other which is reman. I am also pending for the DU replacement on my P85D and it has been 6 days so far. I'm happy that all three of my cars will have the latest at that point so I'm being patient.