Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Camera Housing in Recent Model X Deliveries, How About MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I read an article on Monday where owners with Model X deliveries last week included housing for dual cameras but only 1 camera was actually present. Can those of you who recently took delivery on your MS tell me if it has the same setup?

Here is a link to one of the articles.

Tesla Model X delivered with dual front-facing camera housing hinting at Autopilot 2.0

Early refresh Model Ss have the same centered single camera as all other AP Ss have had. I haven't heard of any changes yet.

Physically speaking, is their space for two cameras if the housing was swapped out?

Well, the housing in current Model S seems like it's glued on. And replacing it is trivial. Replacing it with a bigger housing may require a new windshield but I don't see why that should be an issue. So, from a purely non-tech visual inspection, I don't see why it couldn't be swapped out.

But, few points to consider,

a) Tesla retrofit's history is not very bright. For instance, that front fascia is 100% doable technically speaking, but Tesla hasn't offered that option.
b) The change may be more than just dual camera, there may be additional or improved sensors.
c) Tesla's service centers are quite busy already. I feel that the "enable after delivery" for the 72A upgrade via OTA is a way to reduce the load on service centers.

I'm putting the probability of autopilot retrofit at around 30% (gut feel), but on the other hand, given Elon's recent tweets, a hardware upgrade may not be necessary. If you think about it, if Tesla can offer AP2.0 without hardware changes it's a win win for customers and Tesla. Changing hardware in the manufacturing process expensive, and p~sses off existing customers. Not to mention, older hardware is cheaper!

It's quite possible that they shipped Model X with the possibility of dual camera, but eventually may not see a need for it... of course, all of this is pure conjecture!

Either way, I feel we will find out more in a week, at the gigafactory launch party

Well, the housing in current Model S seems like it's glued on. And replacing it is trivial. Replacing it with a bigger housing may require a new windshield but I don't see why that should be an issue. So, from a purely non-tech visual inspection, I don't see why it couldn't be swapped out.

But, few points to consider,

a) Tesla retrofit's history is not very bright. For instance, that front fascia is 100% doable technically speaking, but Tesla hasn't offered that option.
b) The change may be more than just dual camera, there may be additional or improved sensors.
c) Tesla's service centers are quite busy already. I feel that the "enable after delivery" for the 72A upgrade via OTA is a way to reduce the load on service centers.

I'm putting the probability of autopilot retrofit at around 30% (gut feel), but on the other hand, given Elon's recent tweets, a hardware upgrade may not be necessary. If you think about it, if Tesla can offer AP2.0 without hardware changes it's a win win for customers and Tesla. Changing hardware in the manufacturing process expensive, and p~sses off existing customers.

It's quite possible that they shipped Model X with the possibility of dual camera, but eventually may not see a need for it... of course, all of this is pure conjecture!

Basically the same conclusion I came to unfortunately.

I have a chip in my windshield and I've been holding out based on this 2 or 3 camera Autopilot upgrade (providing that is all it is as you pointed out).

But I would gladly take my insurance check and add my own personal check for the additional hardware, in order to get this upgrade if it becomes available. However, if it does require a new windshield, that may curb the upgrade path heavily for owners looking to do it.

Basically the same conclusion I came to unfortunately.

I have a chip in my windshield and I've been holding out based on this 2 or 3 camera Autopilot upgrade (providing that is all it is as you pointed out).

But I would gladly take my insurance check and add my own personal check for the additional hardware, in order to get this upgrade if it becomes available. However, if it does require a new windshield, that may curb the upgrade path heavily for owners looking to do it.

Out of curiosity, how much is a windshield replacement on Model S?

BTW - one more info I want to add. When my Model S was new, and I first got that error "driver assistance not available" -- something like that .. I called the service center. And they said "If it happens again, we can replace your camera" .. since they offered that so easily, I have a gut feel that replacing that autopilot camera is trivial.

But if the dimensions of the camera housing change, then the windshield may have to change - and - there may be other sensors.

Out of curiosity, how much is a windshield replacement on Model S?

BTW - one more info I want to add. When my Model S was new, and I first got that error "driver assistance not available" -- something like that .. I called the service center. And they said "If it happens again, we can replace your camera" .. since they offered that so easily, I have a gut feel that replacing that autopilot camera is trivial.

But if the dimensions of the camera housing change, then the windshield may have to change - and - there may be other sensors.

Total cost was quoted as just under $1300... and the camera was a line item at under $200. And it get's better, the part was listed as the "single camera" option.

Interesting! If the camera is all that needs changing, I'm hoping they round it up at $2000 and offer that upgrade. .. time will tell!
Certainly better than $6K for parking sensors :)

Easy there Satan, don't be giving them any ideas. How about just double the cost of the camera since it's x2 and call it $1500?

I know Tesla has been testing cameras on the side mirrors and rear though. So this 2nd windshield camera could just be part of that new hardware suite (of course, why does the X not appear to have that hardware, etc.)? I'm bursting my own bubble here, I know.

Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf