Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Charger Pricing (Look at it if you are going to install it/ already installed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I took my second Model S at the end of 2015.

I like to install dual charger to my car for faster charging speed. (3P 32A, which comes over 90KM range for an hour charge.)

Before the car delivery, I get quoted for the pricing of the charger unit, HK$17700. The installation work will take place in Hong Kong after shipment from US factory.

Unluckily, the charger out of stock when I take my new car, and they suggested me to install it when I have the service 3 months later.

During the long wait, I found the documents uploaded below, which shows the dual charger only cost HK$11600 and not the price they quote me before.

This is a document from Hong Kong Customs and Excise Department, car dealers cannot sell their parts/ vehicles exceed the priced they provided.

I brought the documents to Tesla Service Centre and showed them the legal pricing of dual charger. They said they will look at it and reply me later.

After 1 day, they just called me and replied me it is not possible to install the charger with HK$11600 price tag. They explained there maybe there are something wrong with this legal document. And if I would like to complain, then just go on to complain, it is my right to do so. I felt fed-up and being cheated by Tesla.

The documents I uploaded today are all from Tesla show room and they verified all documents are the latest version of publish retail price of their vehicle models.

I knew some owners got their charger with price tag HK$11600 in 2016. I am very disappointed with Tesla that they treat different customer with different outcome.

Documents from HKC&E:

View attachment MODEL-S-70D-PRP594-2016.pdf
View attachment MODEL-S-85-PRP595-2016.pdf
View attachment P85D-PRP.pdf

P85D-PRP_Page_1.png
P85D-PRP_Page_2.png

Tesla Dual Charger with Installation

Current price is US$2,000 for dual charger. That is about US$15,600. Not sure about shipping.

Tesla Service Centers to Install Twin-Charging Option

So, change was in March 2015. Used to be US$1,500 with car, or US$3,500 installed later. Change was to make it US$2,000 always installed by service centre. More expensive when bought with the car, cheaper as a service centre retrofit.

Seems that the HK$11,600 is US$1,500 from when it was an installation option from factory. It hasn't been that cheap for a year.

I was advised by the owner's adviser in July 2015. The installation of dual charger either in factory or later costs the same at $17,000. There is no difference between factory installation or retrofit.

Please refer to the topic in this forum, there is a price difference. If you were mislead by the owner's advisor . Then this is the mistake on his part.

Please see earlier in this thread: Dual Charger Pricing (Look at it if you are going to install it/ already installed)

This changed in March 2015. Prior to that, it was US$1,500 with car, or US$3,500 installed later. Change was to make it US$2,000 always installed by service centre. More expensive when bought with the car, cheaper as a service centre retrofit.

US$2,000 ~= HK$15,600. Add on shipping and you get to HK$17xxx.

The issue here is not about the price, other than the OP wanting a discount to what the price was a year ago. The price is clearly shown on the website, and clearly quoted to the OP as HK$17,700 prior to delivery.

The issue is that Tesla haven't updated the price on the documents that they submit to the Hong Kong Customs and Excise Department. There is a legal requirement for car dealers not to sell for greater than that price. The issue is with tax - if the price that Tesla lists to customs is HK$10k, that is the price that tax is charged on, but if Tesla then sell it at HK$20k they are avoiding tax (which would be an offence). Of course, it is largely irrelevant for Tesla as electric cars and their accessories are taxed at 0% (FRT exempted until at least 31st March 2017), but the legal requirement is there nevertheless.

The price list is for those who have the dual charger installed in factory. Your quoted price is for retrofit at the SC after delivery. There is no contradiction on these two prices. Same as the autopilot continence option.

DS replied that they do all dual charger installation in Hong Kong, even though you wanted to built-in when you customize your new car.
$17700 price is fixed to all new orders or retrofit. I dun see any kind of reasons to let Tesla pass this time.

I was advised by the owner's adviser in July 2015. The installation of dual charger either in factory or later costs the same at $17,000. There is no difference between factory installation or retrofit.
They advised me $17700 for new orders or retrofit. Same price.

Please see earlier in this thread: Dual Charger Pricing (Look at it if you are going to install it/ already installed)

This changed in March 2015. Prior to that, it was US$1,500 with car, or US$3,500 installed later. Change was to make it US$2,000 always installed by service centre. More expensive when bought with the car, cheaper as a service centre retrofit.

US$2,000 ~= HK$15,600. Add on shipping and you get to HK$17xxx.

The issue here is not about the price, other than the OP wanting a discount to what the price was a year ago. The price is clearly shown on the website, and clearly quoted to the OP as HK$17,700 prior to delivery.

The issue is that Tesla haven't updated the price on the documents that they submit to the Hong Kong Customs and Excise Department. There is a legal requirement for car dealers not to sell for greater than that price. The issue is with tax - if the price that Tesla lists to customs is HK$10k, that is the price that tax is charged on, but if Tesla then sell it at HK$20k they are avoiding tax (which would be an offence). Of course, it is largely irrelevant for Tesla as electric cars and their accessories are taxed at 0% (FRT exempted until at least 31st March 2017), but the legal requirement is there nevertheless.

This is not a problem of wanting a discount, which is a problem of DISHONEST to a customer. They mentioned that all dual chargers will be installed to the car when it arrives Hong Kong before delivery, which is a new order but not retrofit. They still not providing the price listed on PRP which they attached to me when I go showroom at the day of my order placed. I dun think there are any suitable reasons for them to raise the price with no reasons.

This is not a problem of wanting a discount, which is a problem of DISHONEST to a customer. They mentioned that all dual chargers will be installed to the car when it arrives Hong Kong before delivery, which is a new order but not retrofit. They still not providing the price listed on PRP which they attached to me when I go showroom at the day of my order placed. I dun think there are any suitable reasons for them to raise the price with no reasons.

No. This is you wanting a discount. You want to pay HK$11600 when the price is HK$17700. That is a discount.

On your original post you said:

Before the car delivery, I get quoted for the pricing of the charger unit, HK$17700

Then you went searching on the Internet and found that Tesla HK had made a mistake and not updated their price list that they provide to customs dept. That is a technicality (given the 0% tax anyway) that you are trying to exploit to demand this at HK$11600 - the price it was a year ago before the price change.

That is a discount.

Sure, there is a technicality with the pricelist provided to customs dept. But from what you wrote here the price you were quoted was the correct price of HK$17700.

P.S. As I've explained, and clearly shown, the new price is higher for those who would install at factory, and lower for those who want it as a retrofit.[/QUOTE]

No. This is you wanting a discount. You want to pay HK$11600 when the price is HK$17700. That is a discount.

On your original post you said:

Then you went searching on the Internet and found that Tesla HK had made a mistake and not updated their price list that they provide to customs dept. That is a technicality (given the 0% tax anyway) that you are trying to exploit to demand this at HK$11600 - the price it was a year ago before the price change.

That is a discount.

Sure, there is a technicality with the pricelist provided to customs dept. But from what you wrote here the price you were quoted was the correct price of HK$17700.

P.S. As I've explained, and clearly shown, the new price is higher for those who would install at factory, and lower for those who want it as a retrofit.
[/QUOTE]

I dun see $17700 is correct price.

According to HK C&E website, they mentioned as follows:
什麼是公佈零售價? - 汽車首次登記稅系統
What is Published Retail Price ?

(1) According to the Motor Vehicles (First Registration Tax) Ordinance (Cap. 330), a registered distributor shall, before offering a motor vehicle for sale for use in Hong Kong, submit the PRP to the Customs for assessment and approval. Having obtained the approved PRP, the registered distributor shall publish the PRP in writing; for example, displaying the PRP next to the vehicle. The registered distributor shall not sell that vehicle at a price higher than the approved PRP cum the related FRT.

(2) The PRP includes the following four items:
  • Item A1 : the vehicle's retail price, including the basic accessories of the vehicle
  • Item A2 : the retail price of optional treatment ( i.e. optional colour for paint on vehicle's body )
  • Item B : the retail price of optional accessories ( i.e. optional audio equipment)
  • Item C : the retail price of optional warranty ( i.e. optional 24-month warranty service )

(3) The taxable value of the vehicle for the calculation of FRT is the aggregate of items A1, A2, B and C.

(4) Current First Registration Tax rates

(5) According to Cap. 330, a registered distributor who fails to publish in writing a retail price list or sells a motor vehicle at a price higher than the amount permitted, commits an offence and is liable on conviction to a fine of $500,000 and to imprisonment for 12 months.

If you have any suspicious on the above offence(s), please contact Customs information hotline at 2545 6182.

I dun see I am finding exploit and demand it at $11600, I do think your concept is totally messed up. I just compared the quotation from DS (HK$17700) and PRP attached to me when I order my new car (HK$11600).

I will do any possible actions to fight with this issue. Too much disappointment on Tesla!

I dun see $17700 is correct price.

That is the price quoted to you by Tesla HK. QOD it is the correct price.

I dun see I am finding exploit and demand it at $11600

So you are happy to pay the correct price you were quoted of $17700?

If not, what are you asking for? Presumably Tesla HK are already correcting the mistake in the price list they sent to customs. Perhaps they have already, but customs haven't published it yet?