Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual charger problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear All,
I had my MS since two weeks (I am in Switzerland). Great car, love it. No regrets.

However, I am experiencing an issue with the charging.

I have a dual charger (so, in theory I should get 16.6 kW max) and in any type 2 22kW charging station I am only capable to get 11 kW. So, it is like not having the second charger.

The car is showing an error message saying that is unable to charge (asking to remove the charging cable, close the charging port, press the break pedal, and restart the process). Tried it several times without success.
However, the charge continue even if limited to 11 kW.
In summary, it looks like the second charger is dead.

I have called Tesla and they told me that it looks like the car (sometimes) sees only 2 out of the three phases. They asked to try changing the charging station to check whether the problem remains. I have done it but I always get this error message and not full power.

I have also tried to use the UMC connected to a single phase plug (max power 2.6 kW). In this case I had no error messages and the power was the one expected.

Anyone else experiencing the same issue ?

Thanks

Mario

I had a similar problem last winter. I took it to the SvC, they verified the issue and ended up replacing my master charger and the battery coolant.

About six months earlier they also had to flatbed my car from an SpC when it wouldn't charge at all...that time it was the battery heater/coolant pump.

Glad that they were able to fix your problem. To answer your question, around the time I had the master charger replaced, I wasn't doing much long distance travel, so I don't recall using SpCs during that time.

I had a 800 km trip this week-end, supercharged 3 times with no problems.
I also discovered that what the call 'dual charger' in the latest cars is a single unit of 16.6 kW rated power. In mine, there is a problem with one of the legs of the rectifier. So, they will change the whole unit.